Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 f10 550iX M Sport
New tires on my 550iX M Sport - please HELP!

After numerous bubbles and lots of cringing every time I hit a pot hole, I'm seriously considering new tires. I'd really only like to do this if the new tires will improve my ride considerably and/or noticeably. I'm one who is a little disappointed with the soft feel of the f10 coming from an E60 535iX sport. I will get a separate set of Winter tires IF there is a noticeable difference in the high performance summers vs the all seasons. The two tires I think I've narrowed my decision down to are;

Michelin Pilot Super Sport (max performance summer)

or

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (ultra high performance all-season)

I would probably prefer the A/S if they will last much longer, I won't have to change tires during the winter, and they are a little stronger and less prone to bubbles.

I will chose the Pilot Super Sports if someone can tell me they've switched from the Eagle LS2's (after driving with the LS2's for a good while) and are MUCH happier.

If anyone has first hand experience with either of these after having driven with the LS2's for some time, please help me out.

I only want to do this if there will be a considerable performance handling boost and these non-run flats will be less prone to bubbles.

Thanks so much!
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2011, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
The Pilot Super Sports are 6 or so lbs per tire lighter (than OEM RFTs) and the grip and handling are much improved. You will notice this even driving out of your neighborhood. The high performance tires are not going to match the treadwear rating or life of an all season tire as you know, so they must be considered a discretionary treat. You can run them March-November or a bit less (April-October) to take advantage of superior A/S treadwear ratings.

The pilot sport a/s are terrific and if I could only have one set of tires, I would get them without hesitation.

The good news for a winter set is that you can drop a size and the tires are cheaper, but the wheels can get pricey if you want to keep an OEM look. In that case, you could check out the forum sales or eBay for used or refinished wheels for about 60% of new cost.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:30 PM

PS. I have both Pilot Super Sports and Pilot Sport A/S for my F10.

I did come from LS2s, but took them off at 150 miles.

The value justification of the super sports is subjective. You could buy a set of the A/S and put them on. Those are noticeably better than LS2s also and you might be happy enough.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynerjist View Post
PS. I have both Pilot Super Sports and Pilot Sport A/S for my F10.

I did come from LS2s, but took them off at 150 miles.

The value justification of the super sports is subjective. You could buy a set of the A/S and put them on. Those are noticeably better than LS2s also and you might be happy enough.
Have you had both the super sports and the A/S on? if so, is there a noticeable difference between the two?
Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 PM

Yes, I have tried both. The Sports are noticeably better than A/S no question in cornering and traffic circles. If you want to remove only tires as a performance limiting variable, this is a good set to work with. I think you will enjoy them most coming from the LS2, but the value of doing it is up to the individual. If you have the cash, curiosity, and driving style, it's worth it to check them out.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:28 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I have the Pilot Super Sports and the ride is quality is pretty good. My guess is that they will be noisier than the LS2s.

The handling and grip is prodigious. It will reduce acceleration times and increase cornering speeds noticeably.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynerjist View Post
Yes, I have tried both. The Sports are noticeably better than A/S no question in cornering and traffic circles. If you want to remove only tires as a performance limiting variable, this is a good set to work with. I think you will enjoy them most coming from the LS2, but the value of doing it is up to the individual. If you have the cash, curiosity, and driving style, it's worth it to check them out.
How many miles have you put on them? Any idea how many you should realistically expect before they will need to be replaced?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i-Dark Graphite ED
I am not finding the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP to fit my car, it is not offered as an option on Tire Rack, am I missing something. I would prob perfer A/S at this point to get more milage out of the tires.
79 528i - Retired
77 320i - Retired
70 Challenger R/T - Retired but not forgotten
67 VW Bus - Long retired
BMWCCA member since 1979

Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: v8 tt
I also recently switched to Michelin PSS as well. To-date, I have driven about 400km on them, the tire shop told me it will take about 500km to break the tire in and afterwards, I will definitely notice the grip & cornering ability improvement of the PSS.

I don't intend to do any tracking with these PSS but I do want better dry & wet grip, ride & cornering performance out of them. The GY LS2 is just a poor choice to put onto a sporty performance car and these tires are preventing the owners from getting the most of them.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I also recently switched to Michelin PSS as well. To-date, I have driven about 400km on them, the tire shop told me it will take about 500km to break the tire in and afterwards, I will definitely notice the grip & cornering ability improvement of the PSS.

I don't intend to do any tracking with these PSS but I do want better dry & wet grip, ride & cornering performance out of them. The GY LS2 is just a poor choice to put onto a sporty performance car and these tires are preventing the owners from getting the most of them.
Have you noticed a difference so far?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhamm View Post
I am not finding the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP to fit my car, it is not offered as an option on Tire Rack, am I missing something. I would prob perfer A/S at this point to get more milage out of the tires.
You must be doing something wrong. It is definately there.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
I also have the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, put about 3,000 miles on them. Will go to 18" wheels and winter tires (which ones are tbd) come November.
Huge improvement in handling - wet and dry, only negative for me is noise.

2011 535i xDrive (week 11 build) Sophisto Grau, Black Dakota, ZAV, ZCW, ZCV, ZPP, ZMP, ZP2, 2TB, 610, 464, 465, 6NR, 5DL, de-badged, Black Grills, 3M clear bra, Gloss Black Fender Light Trim, Mud flaps, Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 on 350M winter
Old 08-01-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH512 View Post
I also have the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, put about 3,000 miles on them. Will go to 18" wheels and winter tires (which ones are tbd) come November.
Huge improvement in handling - wet and dry, only negative for me is noise.
Is the noise that noticeable?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
So subjective, I'd say it is noticeable coming from the LS2 but not offensive or irritating.

2011 535i xDrive (week 11 build) Sophisto Grau, Black Dakota, ZAV, ZCW, ZCV, ZPP, ZMP, ZP2, 2TB, 610, 464, 465, 6NR, 5DL, de-badged, Black Grills, 3M clear bra, Gloss Black Fender Light Trim, Mud flaps, Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 on 350M winter
Old 08-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Yes. They are a bit more noisier. In particular, driving on concrete pavement at highway speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5 '08 View Post
Old 08-01-2011, 02:42 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
It's a lot quieter than Michelin PS2s.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 08-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix; 2015 X5 35ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhamm View Post
If you are looking for 19" A/S RFTs, the only choice is the Goodyear LS2. If you are willing to forgo the RFT feature you have a much wider choice. I notice that a Pirelli winter RFT is now available. That's a good sign that maybe more are coming. Thank goodness!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM

In my opinion, there are no perfect tires out there. All tires will have trade offs.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Diver624

Mein Auto: Porsche 911 Turbo
Quote:
You must be doing something wrong. It is definately there.

No, it's not available in a run flat version in our size, just the crappy Goodyear LS2's.

I had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on my Audi S5 and liked them, did not have a single tire issue in 3 years with in 19" 40 series tires.

They were good in the dry and wet and passable in snow. Any summer only tire will give you better dry and wet traction. If your emphasis for an all season tire is dry and wet performance and passable in the snow, this is a good tire. If you want fairly good snow performance this is not the tire for you. I was willing to give up some snow traction for better dry handling but I had to be pretty careful in the snow.
Porsche 993 Cab.
Porsche 996 Turbo (Ruf 550) gone but not forgotten