Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman335 View Post
Yes, I did install my split armrest and stainless steel pedals. I must tell you that installing the armrest builds character, fortitude and ahem, for lack of a better term, kahunas. It was very difficult to take off those pins, and it was testing my patience! But I was able to get it done in the end.

FIXED

The armrest and pedals look great.

You met him, so you know how big of a guy SO is. After hanging out here, you know how, um.... picky and what worry wart I am. Now, imagine the two of us doing my split armrest.

Me: "Honey, don't sit there you'll scratch it."
Him: "But sweetie, I have to sit here or I can't get enough leverage."
Me: Well, okay, but watch out where you point that screwdriver so you don't gouge the plastic."
Him: "Yes, I know, but if I don't push here the pin won't release."
Me (with hands over eyes but peeking): Okay, if you must, but please don't force it!"

Now you know why I have nominated him for sainthood.

[edit] ps: If you're going to do the reflector delete, do it now when you have 95F ambient temperatures on your side. We did mine in February and it was also a hair raising experience.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 07-18-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
FIXED

The armrest and pedals look great.

You met him, so you know how big of a guy SO is. After hanging out here, you know how, um.... picky and what worry wart I am. Now, imagine the two of us doing my split armrest.

Me: "Honey, don't sit there you'll scratch it."
Him: "But sweetie, I have to sit here or I can't get enough leverage."
Me: Well, okay, but watch out where you point that screwdriver so you don't gouge the plastic."
Him: "Yes, I know, but if I don't push here the pin won't release."
Me (with hands over eyes but peeking): Okay, if you must, but please don't force it!"

Now you know why I have nominated him for sainthood.

[edit] ps: If you're going to do the reflector delete, do it now when you have 95F ambient temperatures on your side. We did mine in February and it was also a hair raising experience.
Thanks Kat! Yes, I agree- it was unnerving poking a screwdriver in the center console. I had painter's tape all over the interior to control the damage, should something slip.

I'm going to do the reflector delete, but I'm waiting to get the hairdryer I bought from Amazon to get here. That, combined with the ridiculously hot weather should make it for an easy DIY job... or so I hope
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
These are stock 2011's in the afternoon NC sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fteye.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	287484  

2014 BMW 435M-Sport
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
Old 08-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Nerd

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
These are stock 2011's in the afternoon NC sun.
Arrrrgh, stop blinding me with those High Beams
Internal:M3 Tri-stitched Steering wheel/OEM Aluminum Pedal and Footrest
External: Black Matte Grills/MSport Front Bumper with sidemarker delete/OEM Aero Rear Bumper/OEM Aero Spoiler/LuxH8 LED Angel Eyes V3
Old 08-02-2011, 06:34 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
[QUOTE=Nordic_Kat;6195312]Sometimes all one has to do is ask. That is my take home lesson.

Great conclusion to Kat's well thought out project. A great contribution to those contemplating a light upgrade! Thanks, Kat!

And the next project is....? Exhaust? I was going to suggest brakes, but you're already stopping a LOT better than the people behind you.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Omnia in modum

[QUOTE=pointandgo;6229864]
Quote:
Sometimes all one has to do is ask. That is my take home lesson.

Great conclusion to Kat's well thought out project. A great contribution to those contemplating a light upgrade! Thanks, Kat!

And the next project is....? Exhaust? I was going to suggest brakes, but you're already stopping a LOT better than the people behind you.
Thanks P&G. I still need to get some 'glamour' shots of the LUX H8's. The car has been in the shop for the last day and a half dealing with the preliminaries of the tensioning rope replacement. I had a 328i sedan loaner (AT) which was an interesting experience. Regarding my next project..... I am in a quandary. I thought it was going to be the PE, but I've had my attention diverted to upgrading my camera equipment.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 08-02-2011, 07:29 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
[QUOTE=Nordic_Kat;6229920]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post

Thanks P&G. I still need to get some 'glamour' shots of the LUX H8's. The car has been in the shop for the last day and a half dealing with the preliminaries of the tensioning rope replacement. I had a 328i sedan loaner (AT) which was an interesting experience. Regarding my next project..... I am in a quandary. I thought it was going to be the PE, but I've had my attention diverted to upgrading my camera equipment.
328i auto! I have one! What's so interesting? Just "set-it-and-forget-it." How do you manage coming up to STOP signs? Creepy feeling, isn't it? Put a restraining device on your left foot. Keep your right hand OFF the shift knob (I bet you didn't).

I can't wait until this 27 mo. lease is over (only 24 months to go). BACK TO A STICK!
(and CA)
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 08-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Omnia in modum

[QUOTE=pointandgo;6229991]
Quote:

328i auto! I have one! What's so interesting? Just "set-it-and-forget-it." How do you manage coming up to STOP signs? Creepy feeling, isn't it? Put a restraining device on your left foot. Keep your right hand OFF the shift knob (I bet you didn't).

I can't wait until this 27 mo. lease is over (only 24 months to go). BACK TO A STICK!
(and CA)
I just found it very interesting that for being siblings, the cabrio and sedan feel like very different cars. Part of it is the higher ground clearance of the E90 combined with the more open interior. The E93 cockpit is truly like being in a little cocoon.

The MT vs AT thing has been done to death, but it was interesting to actually experience it. We have these things called "Texas Turnarounds". They are inside lanes that allow one to do a 180 underneath the freeway on the access roads without going through the traffic lights at the intersection. I have to do one of these to get to work in the morning. In the MT cabrio, I love it, because I usually have the top down so I have noticeable exhaust notes and I can pin myself back into the seat rowing through 1st to 3rd hitting 60 mph before I let up.

Never once, in the MT have I had to go WOT to pin myself to the seat. This morning I had the throttle floored and didn't achieve the same thrill. Of course, I burned through an additional gallon of gas in the process, but hey - cheap thrills, or not.

I also now realized how truly wonderful is the Sun Reflective Technology leather put in the cabrio. This afternoon when I got in the loaner to take it back the dash thermometer read 104F. The loaner car was TiAg with gray leather. As I slid into the seat, my bare leg met the leather and I yelped! I truly expected to have burn marks on the back of my legs.

The seats in the cabrio get warm, but I've never, ever felt like I needed to visit the burn unit even after the car has been sitting closed up all day. SRT is truly an incredible innovation.

I never got a chance to experience the DS mode. I quite honestly didn't have or take the time to figure it out. The first thing I had to do when I got the loaner was correct the low tire TPMS warning. I did learn to keep my hand off the shifter with its metal covering. Talk about 2nd degree burns! I'll get a second chance at a loaner in another week or so when they get the parts in to fix my top. Next time I'll be ready to test the DS mode.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi LCI
Just so I am reading this correct, they are (left to right): LCI, Lux, and Stock ?

I have an Alpine White 335xi, do you think the LCI would look good? Thanks for the pics!

Quote:
Old 02-06-2012, 04:59 PM
N55 Powered

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordperf View Post
Just so I am reading this correct, they are (left to right): LCI, Lux, and Stock?
Yes.

Quote:
I have an Alpine White 335xi, do you think the LCI would look good?
I think it would look fantastic, but the LCI -- Lifecycle Impulse, BMW's term for facelifted -- angel eyes are OEM, not an upgrade. If you don't already have the LCI angel eyes, I would think that at a minimum you'd have to swap out the headlight assemblies.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
I think it would look fantastic, but the LCI -- Lifecycle Impulse, BMW's term for facelifted -- angel eyes are OEM, not an upgrade. If you don't already have the LCI angel eyes, I would think that at a minimum you'd have to swap out the headlight assemblies.
So so how can I tell if I have the LCI angel eyes? I have the Xenon headlights and halos, but is there a defining characteristic of them being LCI angel eyes?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 PM
flâneur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
What fun! Kat, thanks for sharing photos. I'm kind of psyched, we have a new member of our local CCA chapter - and he used to be an instructor for BMW and TrackTime HPDEs. He just picked up an '08 335i coupe. Hope to get some tips on our next scheduled outing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman335 View Post
I'm going to do the reflector delete, but I'm waiting to get the hairdryer I bought from Amazon to get here. That, combined with the ridiculously hot weather should make it for an easy DIY job... or so I hope
It's not as hard as some of the threads make it seem. I did it during summer, on about an 85 degree day. Didn't use a hairdryer/heater.

One thing that made it really easy was using a thin, flexible card to slip between the reflector and the part (from the outside) to break the seal of the tape. I used an old grocery store loyalty card. The corner of it slipped easily between the two pieces, from the front, on the upper "thick" side of the short end of the piece. I then could gently work the card all the way through, breaking the tape seal, and then just slid it slowly and gently around. The reflector popped right out, and I never felt like I put any pressure on that thin bit of quarter panel.

Lots of folks have probably seen, but for more bulb comparison, here are the GP Thunders on my car.

Quote:
I thought it was going to be the PE, but I've had my attention diverted to upgrading my camera equipment.
Are you going to go full-frame?

Last edited by andrew b; 02-06-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
And that is for all intents and purposes impossible to do (see below).

Quote:
So so how can I tell if I have the LCI angel eyes? I have the Xenon headlights and halos, but is there a defining characteristic of them being LCI angel eyes?
Fordperf -
The very first question you have to answer is what body style is your car? From another thread I ascertained it is a 2009 335ix, but is it a sedan or a coupe? If your 2009 is a coupe - it is not an LCI as the coupe and cabrio did not receive their LCI until MY2011. If your car is a sedan, it received its LCI in 2009 but the new for 2009 headlight housing design for the sedan is still different and incompatible with the coupe/cabrio LCI headlight housing design. Either way from what I understand, retrofitting is if not impossible, then insanely expensive. Here are a few reasons.

1) If your car is a sedan (E90), then the headlight housings are completely different from from the headlight housings for the coupe and convertible. So different in fact, that access to the angel eyes is through the front fender as opposed to through the top of the housing under the hood.

2) Even if your car is a 2009 coupe, the headlight system in the LCI coupes and cabrios is very different in design which is one of the reasons the LCI angel eyes on the 2011 forward coupes and cabrios look so incredible. There was some chatter a while ago that supposedly retrofits might eventually be available, but considering how hot a topic the LED angel eyes has become, I've never seen anything more posted about it. That tells me it was wild a$$ guessing or conjecture.

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 02-07-2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: corrected for accuracy of MY
Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew b View Post
What fun! Kat, thanks for sharing photos. I'm kind of psyched, we have a new member of our local CCA chapter - and he used to be an instructor for BMW and TrackTime HPDEs. He just picked up an '08 335i coupe. Hope to get some tips on our next scheduled outing.

Are you going to go full-frame?
You are welcome - I think we all had some fun meeting.

No, the upgrade was to my D7000. The pics I posted here were taken with an Nikon E5700.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Fordperf -
The very first question you have to answer is what body style is your car? From another thread I ascertained it is a 2009 335ix, but is it a sedan or a coupe? If your 2009 is a coupe - it is not an LCI as the coupe and cabrio did not receive their LCI until 2010. If your car is a sedan, it received its LCI in 2009 but the new for 2009 headlight housing design for the sedan is still different and incompatible with the coupe/cabrio LCI headlight housing design. Either way from what I understand, retrofitting is if not impossible, then insanely expensive. Here are a few reasons.

1) If your car is a sedan (E90), then the headlight housings are completely different from from the headlight housings for the coupe and convertible. So different in fact, that access to the angel eyes is through the front fender as opposed to through the top of the housing under the hood.

2) Even if your car is a 2009 coupe, the headlight system in the LCI coupes and cabrios is very different in design which is one of the reasons the LCI angel eyes on the 2010 forward coupes and cabrios look so incredible. There was some chatter a while ago that supposedly retrofits might eventually be available, but considering how hot a topic the LED angel eyes has become, I've never seen anything more posted about it. That tells me it was wild a$$ guessing or conjecture.
My car is the 2009 sedan, with the hdd based iDrive which someone in another thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6615229) told me indicates I have an LCI model. Is that true?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
My car is the 2009 sedan, with the hdd based iDrive which someone in another thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6615229) told me indicates I have an LCI model. Is that true?
Sedan owners may want to chime in here, but the easiest way (for me) to distinguish a pre LCI sedan from an LCI sedan is the orange "eyeliner" that the pre-LCI sedans had.
See pic below

Below is a pic of CWinters LCI'd Sedan. Notice the different shape of his headlights
(C-Dub if you read this I hope you don't mind me borrowing your pic)

Now, here is a pic of the LCI'd coupe:

The LCI sedan still has a different headlight housing than the LCI coupe or convertible. The headlights in your car still cannot be converted or "Upgraded" to the equipment that is in an LCI coupe.

If you figure out a way to do it, please post it because there are a lot of people who would love to do it.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
Quote:
Even if your car is a 2009 coupe, the headlight system in the LCI coupes and cabrios is very different in design which is one of the reasons the LCI angel eyes on the 2010 forward coupes and cabrios look so incredible.
Actually the new headlight units started with the 2011 model year, the 2010 model year cars have the same headlights as the previous models.

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster
Old 02-07-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
The LCI sedan still has a different headlight housing than the LCI coupe or convertible. The headlights in your car still cannot be converted or "Upgraded" to the equipment that is in an LCI coupe.

If you figure out a way to do it, please post it because there are a lot of people who would love to do it.
Ok now I am learning. Are these bright LED halo lights only available in LCI coupes? There is nothing in the aftermarket for sedans to give a similar effect? It's not just replacing incandescent bulbs with LED ones?

(I'm pretty sure my halos are incandescent and not LED, just from the coloring and intensity)
Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougN View Post
Actually the new headlight units started with the 2011 model year, the 2010 model year cars have the same headlights as the previous models.
I knew that, but obviously had a brain disconnect Thanks for reminding me I'll go fix it!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:53 AM
N55 Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougN View Post
Actually the new headlight units started with the 2011 model year
Exactly... For someone googling this thread in the future, the LCI E92 and E93 were introduced with MY2011 although their production did begin in late 2010.

EDIT: Shoot, Kat beat me to it. As my avatar likes to say, "Ack!"
Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhh! So the LCI corona rings in the leftmost photo ARE the stock headlights for that year?? And the Lux H8 in the middle are an aftermarket attempt to recreate that effect?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Ok now I am learning. Are these bright LED halo lights only available in LCI coupes? There is nothing in the aftermarket for sedans to give a similar effect? It's not just replacing incandescent bulbs with LED ones?

(I'm pretty sure my halos are incandescent and not LED, just from the coloring and intensity)
You can do what others have done. Get Weisslicht or LUX or GP Thunders. They won't be the super intense of the LCI, but in most light situations are going to look pretty good.

Here is an example of the LUX in a more normal (everyday) light situation:

I did the pics in this thread in the absolute harshest light I could for the purpose of showing the difference in a worst case scenario.

Also it is extremely hard to photograph 3 cars simultaneously and get all to have the best viewing angle.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 AM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Ohhhhhhhhhh! So the LCI corona rings in the leftmost photo ARE the stock headlights for that year?? And the Lux H8 in the middle are an aftermarket attempt to recreate that effect?
BINGO!!!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 AM
N55 Powered

Quote:
And the Lux H8 in the middle are an aftermarket attempt to recreate that effect?
Adding to all the great information that Kat has posted, the photo at the top of this page gives another good comparison between the stock halogen angel eyes and Lux upgrade... http://www.e92-lighting.com/products...ED-703-20.html

Last edited by Verts4Ever; 02-07-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 AM

Thanks Kat and everyone, and forgive my total noobness. When I saw the pics of the LCI lights, my first thought was "ok must locate company called LCI on the web and look at their halo solutions". Hey, I'm new to all this

I drove the same car for 13 years before getting my E90, so I have a completely different set of acronyms in my head. I have to learn a whole new lexicon!