Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M
Audio power location for USA-SPEC install

Hey guys,

I've got a 2007 Z4M and want to install a USA-SPEC iPod interface. I found four dsp connections, but can not find the power connection plugs.

Can someone point me to where they found the 3 slot plug connections?

Big road trip tomorrow and want to use my iPod.

thanks much,

Mike
Ads by Google
Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 PM

I found it. It is under the center console accessible from the trunk. The two connections are taped in the lower slot. The slot is so narrow that you can not get your fingers into it. I was finally able to fish out the six pin connector, but thought I'd lost the 3 pin connector in the slot. Thankfully the two sets of wires are taped together and I was able to extract the 3 pin connector. I have dsp connectors on my car. I plugged the USA-SPEC into the 3 pin power connector and the dsp connector. by doing that I could see the song/artist that was playing, but only heard a hum. Then I removed the dsp connector and connected to the 6 pin connector. All works fine now.

Last edited by howlinjags; 08-02-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:24 PM

A couple more tips:

1) there is an excellent two part video on youtube from BAVSOUND on installation of a DICE mediabridge in a Z4M. Well worth the watch
2) one thing they show that didn't work for me is pushing the cabling thru the firewall from the interior side. When I tried that, the cable just balled up in the space near the speaker cavity. Instead, I fished a wire thru from the back and then used that from the front to pull the cable thru the firewall hole. I tried taking the speaker out to see if there was a hole behind it. I believe it is a solid chamber.
3) I loosened up the battery and pulled it forward. that 1.5 inches is pretty useful
Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E82, E84
While your head unit says DSP, it is not the same as the earlier models with digital DSP that require the adapter. The newer Z4 models (and all M ones) have the DSP built-in to the head unit rather than having a separate digital unit. This is why you didn't need the DSP adapter. For some reason, most audio shops don't differentiate between the digital DSP and the newer built-in version that can connect exactly like the non-DSP models. I'm sure this has led to many unwanted DSP adapters...