Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Anyone selling stock Z3 suspension?

I have had it with the aftermarket suspension on my car and am looking at going back to stock for a quieter cabin and smoother ride. Hopefully I can get the car to a point where I can actually enjoy it and want to drive it.

Does anyone have a set of OEM springs/shocks they are looking to part with? Preferably low mileage. Car is a 3.0i coupe but would not rule out going to an M suspension.

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 M Roadster
$100

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/pts/2512879979.html

Don't forget to send me a finder fee!!

TC Kline S/A Coilovers | Sharked | Turner Slotted Rotors | Axxis Ultimate Pads | SS Front Strut | IE Subframe Bushings | IE Rear Toe/Camber Kit
Whalen Shift Machine | Stygar Clutch Pedal | CDV Delete | LeatherZ Armrest | Whalen seat bushings | Z3Solutions Windblocker | Shift Pin fix
Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 z3 coupe 2.8
springs

I have a set of stock springs from 2000 Z3coupe 2.8. I bought the car in 06. Previous owner replaced with sport springs within the first 500 miles. He didn't replace shocks. (dumb move) Anyways these are almost new, but do not have shocks or struts. I would be interested in trade from leatherZ. MK2 plus armrest with Large storage bin. Just a thought. zooz3
Old 07-26-2011, 07:40 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
What do you have on it? IIRC H&R and Bilstein?

If so, call TC Kline. Their suspension rides better than stock, but with improved handling.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Suede Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

If so, call TC Kline. Their suspension rides better than stock, but with improved handling.
I had HR Bilsteins and the ride was too rough. I went with the Koni shocks that TCKline recommends (different than what Koni recommends, so who knows who is right) and am getting a banging noise when going over bumps. The new shocks are longer than the Bilsteins that came out. Thought it was the RSMs so I switched those. Then I figured it was the HR springs as 3 of coils were touching so I went with TCKline springs and their adjustable spring lands. Banging noise is still there. I suspect the issue is the shock as it started when I changed the them. I figure I can keep throwing money at the problem or I can go back to stock. I have thrown enough money away on the car so stock seems like the best solution at this point.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Suede Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNZOUT View Post
$100

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/pts/2512879979.html

Don't forget to send me a finder fee!!
Awesome, nice catch!!

Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Suede Master

Quote:

Terry, do you have Konis on your car? If so, do you know if you used the 8040-1217 (what Koni recommends) or the 80-2522 (what TCKline recommends)?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: M Roadster
At this point wouldn't it be cheaper to trade it in for an M? Why do some feel aftermarket companies are better at designing BMW parts than BMW? I think, except I'm rare cases (like FCABs), it's best to keep stock suspension on daily drivers / street cars. Who needs the expense, rattles, etc... that this stuff often causes
Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
... Why do some feel aftermarket companies are better at designing BMW parts than BMW?
Because BMW parts often leave something to be desired.

For example, cooling components that can last the lifetime of the car. So, we have the Stewart water pump and aluminum radiators.

After all, LeatherZ offers many products that are superior to BMW's.

Quote:
I think, except I'm rare cases (like FCABs), it's best to keep stock suspension on daily drivers / street cars. Who needs the expense, rattles, etc... that this stuff often causes
The TCKline SA suspension has superior ride and handling - while remaining totally quiet - than the stock suspension.

Whether stock or aftermarket, all parts have their plusses and minuses. The great thing is we have forums to help guide our choices.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: '97 2.8 Z3 bg R
..just a thought...are you on stock wheels or?

..ride's really effected by tire size and condition...I was about to rid us of our much liked GTI, due to the really bumpy, choppy ride, thinking suspension was totally shot..new tires and voila: new ride, too...and wheels can do it too, if they are plus-sized...you get the idea..Z3Cheers! dk '97 2.8 bg R, +1
Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0
Quote:
At this point wouldn't it be cheaper to trade it in for an M? Why do some feel aftermarket companies are better at designing BMW parts than BMW? I think, except I'm rare cases (like FCABs), it's best to keep stock suspension on daily drivers / street cars. Who needs the expense, rattles, etc... that this stuff often causes
I completely disagree. OE suspension in the Z3 is an unfortunate compromise of performance, ride and cost. M suspensions are barely marginally better at best. I have owned TCK SA and now own AST 4200 DA coilovers and both offer as good or better ride and vastly better performance.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
I had HR Bilsteins and the ride was too rough. I went with the Koni shocks that TCKline recommends (different than what Koni recommends, so who knows who is right) and am getting a banging noise when going over bumps. The new shocks are longer than the Bilsteins that came out. Thought it was the RSMs so I switched those. Then I figured it was the HR springs as 3 of coils were touching so I went with TCKline springs and their adjustable spring lands. Banging noise is still there. I suspect the issue is the shock as it started when I changed the them. I figure I can keep throwing money at the problem or I can go back to stock. I have thrown enough money away on the car so stock seems like the best solution at this point.
My guess it is something is not right with install. Have you tried to narrow it down to the corner where the sound is coming from and then pull the wheel off and literally pull down, push up on the unit by hand or with a jack? Could by swaybar endlinks, could be a loose top nut on the front struts which is not tightened down all the way (problem common to Koni install for some reason), or could just be a bad unit. While H&R's are a flawed setup do to insufficient rear spring rate, the combo usually does not create sound issues.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Suede Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Papa View Post
My guess it is something is not right with install. Have you tried to narrow it down to the corner where the sound is coming from and then pull the wheel off and literally pull down, push up on the unit by hand or with a jack? Could by swaybar endlinks, could be a loose top nut on the front struts which is not tightened down all the way (problem common to Koni install for some reason), or could just be a bad unit. While H&R's are a flawed setup do to insufficient rear spring rate, the combo usually does not create sound issues.
I have not touched the front suspension. Problem is only the rear. I have tried 3 RSMs (first went with the stock, figured the noise was initially coming from that, then installed 2 different sets of Rogue RSMs). After that, I took the car to an indy BMW service center who couldn't find anything wrong. I noticed the HR springs were pretty much fully compressed (3 coils touching) and TCKline recommended new springs and their adjustable spring lands. I installed them and the problem was still there. I went in again yesterday and redid everything. I did notice that with the lower bolts out on the shock (and the top still secured) it was a lot easier to push up/move up the driver side (problem shock) than it was to move the passenger side.

Noise seems to be coming from the driver side only, hard to tell when it is just me in the car though.

TCKline had pre-adjusted the shocks to "1/4 to soft" and I am wondering now if they need to be adjusted to a stiffer setting?

I am taking it to a TCKline installer on Friday and having them look at it. I suspect they will say there is nothing wrong. The Konis are about 1" longer than the Bilsteins but TCKline says that is not a problem (I do not know if the Koni's that Koni recommends would be a better fit). The cabin is considerably quieter with the new setup (aside from the banging noise) and the ride is much nicer than the Bilstein/HR combo but the banging noise is not pleasant to deal with.

Hopefully I can get the car to a point where I actually enjoy driving it. 9 years and I don't think I have enjoyed it all that much. It has been a lot more trouble than it is worth. Kind of a bummer. It looks nice though.

Last edited by AndyM; 07-27-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:00 AM
M Mad

1) Did you call TC Kline and talk to them about it? I have found them to be very responsive. Or call Randy Forbes, he has probably put more of them on Z3s than anyone, including TCK.

2) Randy prefers to NOT use the height adjusters in the rear on the Z3s. I have them on my E46 M3.

3) Did you check the sway bar links and mounts?

I do not have the TCK on the Roadster, yet.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 07-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Suede Master

Quote:
1) Did you call TC Kline and talk to them about it? I have found them to be very responsive. Or call Randy Forbes, he has probably put more of them on Z3s than anyone, including TCK.

2) Randy prefers to NOT use the height adjusters in the rear on the Z3s. I have them on my E46 M3.

3) Did you check the sway bar links and mounts?

I do not have the TCK on the Roadster, yet.
I have been working with TCKline. They have not run into this in the past. I have been talking to Randy, he is running the Koni's that Koni recommends, not the TCKline preferred ones.

I am starting to think that the shocks are adjusted to a setting that is too soft which is allowing the shock to travel too much and hit the stop.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
I have been working with TCKline. They have not run into this in the past. I have been talking to Randy, he is running the Koni's that Koni recommends, not the TCKline preferred ones.

I am starting to think that the shocks are adjusted to a setting that is too soft which is allowing the shock to travel too much and hit the stop.
Hi Andy,

If your car is in Cincinnati, I would be happy to help get this sorted. I'm quite familiar with the suspensions on these cars.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by submit View Post
Hi Andy,

If your car is in Cincinnati, I would be happy to help get this sorted. I'm quite familiar with the suspensions on these cars.
Bingo.

You can back the adjusters out to full soft (count the # rotations to reach the end) and put both back to the same setting.

I've been suspicious of the overall length since you first brought this up, but theoretically, both sides would, or would not be banging; unless the banging side was set too soft.

Take up submit's offer though, as it is beneficial to have a fresh pair of eyes look at it.

Good luck; your car is so gorgeous, I hate that you're not enjoying it

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon

Last edited by Randy Forbes; 07-28-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Suede Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by submit View Post
Hi Andy,

I am taking it to Enthusiast Auto tomorrow as TCKline suggested them (they are a TCKline dealer) and will see what they think.

If they don't find anything, I will take you up on your offer, I can get some good beers.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Suede Master

Just got back from Enthusiast Auto. Turns out one of the shocks has rebound, but no compression. I think I had mentioned to TCKline that one was really easy to compress than the other about a week ago. In any case, I need a new shock.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 AM
M Mad

That would do it.

Did you talk to TCK about rebuilding?

The original shock they used for the E46 M3 has a conical washer, that over times get flattened. So they need to be rebuilt. Rebuild was a lot less than replace. And they do check everythign and replace the valves and fluid.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 07-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Suede Master

Quote:
That would do it.

Did you talk to TCK about rebuilding?

The original shock they used for the E46 M3 has a conical washer, that over times get flattened. So they need to be rebuilt. Rebuild was a lot less than replace. And they do check everythign and replace the valves and fluid.
This is a brand new shock, they will be replacing it.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:19 PM
M Mad

Even better.

That was not clear from your previous posts.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Suede Master

Got the replacement shock in yesterday. Banging sound is gone. Now I can work on eliminating the interior squeaks. New tires are going on today.

Last edited by AndyM; 08-21-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 AM

Great news!

If you need a SRS reader I have the Peake Research one