Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldoogy View Post
Well, are you implying that this is somehow a BMW-specific issue? Or is this a more broad statement? If it's a German car thing, I can tell you that my last car, which was an Infiniti, needed a warranty engine replacement (YES!!) after about 10,000 miles. So it could just be that I have some auto curse, who knows... :-)
thank you for your reply,really i want to order 5 series soon and i wanted to know your opinion about it ,handling wise
Old 08-03-2011, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikbas View Post
thank you for your reply,really i want to order 5 series soon and i wanted to know your opinion about it ,handling wise
I think this is going to be a repeat of what many people have said countless times in this forum, but here are my quick thoughts:

I think it handles superbly -- it's stable as hell and you get that "invincible" feeling when you drive it, thinking you could never make a mistake in it... There are two catches that you need to keep in mind.

A. It is heavy, and that's noticeable when you manouver with it. Again, it's exceptionally stable, but you somehow "feel" the weight.

B. The steering, while super smooth and accurate, feels quite detached. You get relatively little feedback from the road, which makes the car feel more like a luxury car than a sports car, at least in that respect.

Finally the engine (at least in the 550) is SUPER responsive and powerful, and power delivery is very smooth and seamless. Again, the low level of engine noise in the cabin makes it feel more like a luxury car than a sports car. Then again, I enjoy the quiet cabin in many other cases, so I guess this is a matter of balance. I test drove an M3 once, and while I LOVED driving it, I felt it was WAY too noisy for me for practical, every day use. Again, it's all about taste.

Bottom line: This is an amazing car (steering failure aside), but keep in mind that it's a bit more of a luxury car than a sports car, even with a 400HP engine in it...