Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Very true. And, dealers accepted many "Auto Show" vehicles which plugged up their lots with high end GT's with features that tagged way over 70K. Thus a high end vehicle became over priced, especially when the typical BMW dealer refused to knock much off the sticker even on the pre-owned "demo" models because they were selling them as CPO's or such. One dealer in San Diego was so "kind" as to shave just 2K off a loaded 2010 535i GT "demo" when the 2011's were already available in numbers in Orange County. In fact, that's the reason I purchased the second new GT in Orange County, as the dealers here just don't want to cut a deal close enough to make it worthwhile.

Sometimes I think the dealers fail to understand the buyer holds the cash. I understand the "want factor" but that has to be balanced by understanding what has become dealer greed in many cases. They would rather a vehicle become "lot rot" and pay the flooring if they don't own it outright, watch it deteriorate for a year or more on the lot, than take a reasonable offer to move it. Knowing that you can deal elsewhere and then groan when you show up for service with the plate surround of a competing dealer. Then it's the "shoulda-would-coulda" story. Frankly, dealing with the Orange County dealer was a much better experience than any of the three purchasing experiences here in San Diego.

That is illustrated by a 2010 on a local lot without Navigation that has been sitting there for about 13 months, white with a beige interior. Still asking 57K. Only extra equipment is rear air as I recall. This car will sit forever and they will hold that price forever too.
My friend you speak the truth! I just laugh when some dealers treat their cars like like gold. You know the ones who park unsold cars in the middle of the show room and lock them. Hell you might as well put a velvet rope around the car too

The car you describe sounds fairly base, if that dealer does not want to be flexible and wishes to keep a base 2010 GT as part of his floor plan for an extended period- hats off to him.

Advantage consumer: We have the ability to walk away. We can shop as much and as long as we like......to the point of even having a vehicle shipped from another state if need be. I for one will not hesitate to walk if the dealer experience is not right. 9 times out of 10 it starts with the sales experience. When I went to get my GT I knew more about the car than my sales associate. He however, informed me that he was new and hadn't had much of a chance to learn about the car. I appreciated his honesty, so guess what I educated him in the process. I ended up being his first delivery as well as the first GT sale for that dealership. My sales associate ended up selling more GT's than any of his peers for a while. I don't know if he still has the top GT sales for the dealership, but at least he was ahead of his colleagues.

I think the market has stabilized for GT's In that the there is no longer a surplus of GT's on dealer lots maybe a ratio of like 10 to 1 ( F10 vs. GT), if not larger. In many cases the V8's are by order only. Depending on the desired specs you'll likely end up having to order a 535 GT as well.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 05-17-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashrahman View Post
not to start a fight or anything, but IMHO the wagon does look better, especially the rear. To me the rear of the 5 GT seems very masculine --- not horrible, just not my cup of tea. to me the A7 rear looks sexier. BUT all that said, I don't buy a car based solely on what the rear looks like. the 5 GT has too many pros to ignore; a few cons are thus easy to forgive. Sitting inside, front or rear (especially the rear), you feel like you're sitting a 7 series. especially with the rear comfort seats --- can't wait to see what 2+2 seating looks like in real life!! (instead of a rear bench seat). more trunk space than a 5 series, more versatile to fit in those odd sized packages. (I haven't checked, but I bet with the seats down I could fit in my kid's power wheels -- something I've never even tried with the wife's 7.) and better gas mileage (with the 535x) than our old 7 --- makes perfect sense. We're still waiting for our GT -- Euro delivery this July. I love my convertible passionately -- so smooth, so sexy, so sporty. I have a feeling i will also love the GT -- for being so practical and useful and still a sporty BMW!!
I like that the GT has masculine features. Like the GT's "very distant" relative the Phantom it has Real Presence. I wouldn't consider the Phantom a pretty car, but you darn sure will not confuse it with anything else.

Looks aside when you find a more Luxurious, Functional, Performance oriented 5 door sedan (THAT IS NOT A CROSSOVER) let me know. I sat in the back of an Aston Martin Rapide (4 door hatch) and damn near needed the jaws of life to get out With the GT you can have the same room, and 98.9% of the options of the Flagship BMW, with more utility - whats not to like. I really don't see how BMW could have made the GT as sleek as say an Audi A7 without compromising a great deal of the utility ergo passenger room. Remember this fact if nothing else; the only car in BMW's core lineup with more rear legroom is the LWB F02 7 Series. Also consider the fact that option for option your not getting a decontented 7 Series either.

So the naysayers, haters, however you want to categorize them..can scoff all they like. Just rest assured that you and YOUR passengers will be comfortable and relaxed during the ride, as well as when you arrive at your destination.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 05-17-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
I like that the GT has masculine features. Like the GT's "very distant" relative the Phantom it has Real Presence. I wouldn't consider the Phantom a pretty car, but you darn sure will not confuse it with anything else.

Looks aside when you find a more Luxurious, Functional, Performance oriented 5 door sedan (THAT IS NOT A CROSSOVER) let me know. I sat in the back of an Aston Martin Rapide (4 door hatch) and damn near needed the jaws of life to get out With the GT you can have the same room, and 98.9% of the options of the Flagship BMW, with more utility - whats not to like. I really don't see how BMW could have made the GT as sleek as say an Audi A7 without compromising a great deal of the utility ergo passenger room. Remember this fact if nothing else; the only car in BMW's core lineup with more rear legroom is the LWB F02 7 Series. Also consider the fact that option for option your not getting a decontented 7 Series either.

So the naysayers, haters, however you want to categorize them..can scoff all they like. Just rest assured that you and YOUR passengers will be comfortable and relaxed during the ride, as well as when you arrive at your destination.
I have to dmit that at first glance it wasn't the most glamorous vehicle I'd seen. But then again, neither was the Caddy Sport Wagon, or the 2005 GTO or Mustang Mach 1 or any of o host of vehicles I've owned. Beauty is lots more than skin deep and to really love this car, you need to be a driver, not a looker. I know I'll get in trouble for this one, and no, I'm not being sexist, but it's like just looking at a woman and making some idiotic decision on her personality...you really don't know her until you live with her and get used to her every nuance! Otherwise, everything is just superficial.

A trip up the Pacific Coast Highway with on-the-fly selection of chassis and engine settings is so perfect. 20 way seats, combined with the rear seats that have "theatre seating" status make any trip comfortable. Load up the luggage, kids game gear, bring on the bad weather, light snow, whatever and it's simply a brilliant vehicle for all seasons and reasons. One that I don't have to climb into like a Corvette. You simply sit in the GT. That's saying a lot for 6 feet and 200 lbs and a bad back. If nothing else were to be said, I'd love the car for the comfort alone!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:40 AM

Smile

Quote:
I have to dmit that at first glance it wasn't the most glamorous vehicle I'd seen. But then again, neither was the Caddy Sport Wagon, or the 2005 GTO or Mustang Mach 1 or any of o host of vehicles I've owned. Beauty is lots more than skin deep and to really love this car, you need to be a driver, not a looker. I know I'll get in trouble for this one, and no, I'm not being sexist, but it's like just looking at a woman and making some idiotic decision on her personality...you really don't know her until you live with her and get used to her every nuance! Otherwise, everything is just superficial.

A trip up the Pacific Coast Highway with on-the-fly selection of chassis and engine settings is so perfect. 20 way seats, combined with the rear seats that have "theatre seating" status make any trip comfortable. Load up the luggage, kids game gear, bring on the bad weather, light snow, whatever and it's simply a brilliant vehicle for all seasons and reasons. One that I don't have to climb into like a Corvette. You simply sit in the GT. That's saying a lot for 6 feet and 200 lbs and a bad back. If nothing else were to be said, I'd love the car for the comfort alone!
Cars like the the Bugatti Veryon or the Nissan GTR arent pretty IMHO either. But their performance can't be denied. Yep! beauty is more than skin deep

There isn't a vehicle in BMW's current line up that I would want to replace my GT with. I am (typical BMW quirks aside) very happy with my selection. However, this isnt to be misconstrued with me not willing to have another BMW "in addition to" the GT. I wouldn't mind a current gen NA V8 M3. Even a CPO E63 M6 in a couple of years wouldn't be bad. I'm not crazy about the interior, but the V10 is true motorsport magic.

Last edited by car-fan; 05-17-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
... Beauty is lots more than skin deep and to really love this car, you need to be a driver, not a looker...

A trip up the Pacific Coast Highway with on-the-fly selection of chassis and engine settings is so perfect. 20 way seats, combined with the rear seats that have "theatre seating" status make any trip comfortable. Load up the luggage, kids game gear, bring on the bad weather, light snow, whatever and it's simply a brilliant vehicle for all seasons and reasons.
+1

Yes! - The GT is about doing...getting out there and making it happen...getting into the game - not just being a spectator - doing it with style!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:

+ 1

You speak the truth.

Let others be dominated by the instinct of the herd, GT drivers are pack leaders by nature.

Last edited by Capobranco; 05-17-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: '14 328i
Just got back from a Danube Cruise from Budapest to Nuremburg Via Vienna. Lots of F07's all over, and even more in Prague. I hardly ever see them here in California.

In the parts of Europe I've visited last fall - also took a cruise on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel and saw lots of F07s there too. Hardly any 5 series Tourings, either E61 or F11. It looks like the Europeans' love affair with station wagons is dying out just like us in the good ol' US of A.

2014 328i, Mineral Gray, Msport, Premium, Technology, Lighting, Driver Assistance.
Retired:
'11 F10 535i
'08 E60 535i
Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej2001 View Post
Just got back from a Danube Cruise from Budapest to Nuremburg Via Vienna. Lots of F07's all over, and even more in Prague. I hardly ever see them here in California.

In the parts of Europe I've visited last fall - also took a cruise on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel and saw lots of F07s there too. Hardly any 5 series Tourings, either E61 or F11. It looks like the Europeans' love affair with station wagons is dying out just like us in the good ol' US of A.
Similiar observations here, I saw quite a few (half a dozen in a week) F07's in the Munich area, but I have yet to see one other than on a dealer's lot or at an autoshow in the States. I would also say the F07's outnumbered the F01's in the Munich area. On the wagon side of things, I noticed the BMW 5 Series and MB E Class wagons weren't as popular as the plentiful Audi A6 Advants. Audi A4 Advants looked to outnumber their German siblings too. Audi seems to be the leader of the German wagon market, well at least by my informal observations.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 PM

Out here in Arizona I have seen one other GT. When I went shopping for one the two dealerships in PHX area had one on the lot between them, a Black Sapphire/Ivory 550GT at Chapman, loaded, and the Imperial Blue/Ivory 535GT on the truck headed for Chapman in Mesa, which the sales guy on PHX diverted and I bought last Friday. COuldn't be happier with having a "rare" car for the area.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGuy View Post
Out here in Arizona I have seen one other GT. When I went shopping for one the two dealerships in PHX area had one on the lot between them, a Black Sapphire/Ivory 550GT at Chapman, loaded, and the Imperial Blue/Ivory 535GT on the truck headed for Chapman in Mesa, which the sales guy on PHX diverted and I bought last Friday. COuldn't be happier with having a "rare" car for the area.
Wow no GT's in Scottsdale? BTW: Love the Camelback area Imperial Blue is nice, I saw an Imperial Blue/Ivory GT today in Aventura FL.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Wow no GT's in Scottsdale? BTW: Love the Camelback area Imperial Blue is nice, I saw an Imperial Blue/Ivory GT today in Aventura FL.
No have not seen any. Now that I own one I will probably see/notice more. Yeah I really like the Imperial Blue, but a weekly hand wash is a must with the dust we get out here. Mine came with Sport/Convenience/RearClimate/Nav/Apps/20 inch wheels/Camera pkgs, but no Cold Weather pkg. Guess one doesnt need it in AZ, but I like heated seats. I have the dealer looking into retrofitting them. Probably big bucks
Old 05-26-2011, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGuy View Post
Yeah I really like the Imperial Blue, but a weekly hand wash is a must with the dust we get out here.
Yes, indeed. In Colorado too. Must. Be. Washed.

First big road trip this weekend - up to Vail. Wonder if anyone else with a GT will be up there for the holiday?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 535 GT
I just got a 2010 GT, dealers demo. Sport and comfort package. It is fantastic replacement for my previous 2005 BWM 530i. If there was a perfect car for me, this is it, and I think the "general enthusiast public" takes few years to get used to the concept, understand the feature, value and benefits. Like E60's, the sales were doing so well for first few years because of the new look, but ended up being most selling 5 series of all time. I have considered Audi Q5, non-GT 535, X5 and X3. After test driving them all over and over (over period of 6 months), and finally deciding that X5d and X3 SUV feel was not for me, and 535 price tag/storage ratio compare to GT (sounds crazy, I know) it came down between Q5 and GT. Surprisingly, Audi Q5 drove more like a car and less like SUV, it was not easy decision as far as deciding what I like better. What won me over is how well BMW treated us since my wife got a 335 coupe few years ago, and that I was treated just the same with 530 which I did not buy new, did not buy from this dealer to include that they knew I bought the auctioned 530 after small fender bender and did all repairs myself. In fact, they admired that I learned enough to make repairs under garage conditions using OEM BMW parts I could scrounge around. During my last 70k service, they even got me a mechanic to talk to about a slow transmission leak I was developing and how to fix it if I wanted to do it myself. I didn't, but the fact that they respected all BMW customers resonates with me further engrains brand loyalty in to my blood. Heck, they they thought nothing of the trailer hitch I installed in order to mount my bike rack.
I am devoted cyclist, and the fact that I can fit my few thousand dollar road bike in full assembly in the back is great. The mileage 535 GT is great, it made more sense to continue on with GT instead of straight 5. Then there was the updated technology, the multi-contoured seats that really help alleviate back problems after longer drives, the interior space, the quality of all internal trim that fits so tight together and balanced blend of sport/luxury with in my opinion most practical car you can guy has sealed the deal. Then the look - car has so much character inside and out. Again, it is a fantastic car and I would recommend it to anyone...
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Eye of the Wolf

I agree, the GT does indeed have character - serious road presence.

Congrats on your GT and welcome to the club!