Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: X3 on order
First impressions

Got that New X3 xD35i a week ago, white w chestnut(not so sure about that), cold weather, conveniance, premium pkgs, prem hifi, auto high beams. Did a 1400 mi roundtrip
22.5 mpg avg with roof rack and two bikes.

Mostly easy driving 75 on interstates, pushing only when really needed (then she really goes) used 87, 89 & 93 fuel, could tell no difference, will normaly use 91/93.

Seats comfortably, however (longer) sportseats to be considered. Wheels looked black from all the breakdust(!).

Once thing took getting used to is a slight hesitation from a dead stop (turbolag?). Easy with the foot, a minor skill you'll have to acquire otherwise the car will jump .

Like the electric power steering, being a small SUV the X3 is quite a nimble driver, still roomy.

Premium WiFi not too bad , turn off surround sound and make equalizer adjustments to suit your ear. Interior is relatively quiet, with minimum road & wind noise for this type vehicle.
Ads by Google
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Do NOT use anything less than premium fuel in the X3!! It is a must especially with the turbo engine!!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:39 AM

......well, yes I will use premium fuel because of manufacturer recommendations. However, besides potentially reduced performance there have to be other specific reasons why not to use 87 octane fuel. Whether we can afford it or not, we always try to save a penny here and there. I just sold a 325ix with 100k miles on it, car does not use any oil and most of the time I put 87 into the tank. Could never tell a difference in performance and much less in mpg, the later more dependent on who's fuel I purchased. So over the live of that car saved something over 1k, big deal. But ..............

So now on a turbo charged engine what other specific reasons besides performance can you give me NOT to put 87 in the tank?

Heat perhaps? Carbon buildup? I do assume there is timing compensation for different grade fuels(?)
Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skifast View Post
......well, yes I will use premium fuel because of manufacturer recommendations. However, besides potentially reduced performance there have to be other specific reasons why not to use 87 octane fuel. Whether we can afford it or not, we always try to save a penny here and there. I just sold a 325ix with 100k miles on it, car does not use any oil and most of the time I put 87 into the tank. Could never tell a difference in performance and much less in mpg, the later more dependent on who's fuel I purchased. So over the live of that car saved something over 1k, big deal. But ..............

So now on a turbo charged engine what other specific reasons besides performance can you give me NOT to put 87 in the tank?

Heat perhaps? Carbon buildup? I do assume there is timing compensation for different grade fuels(?)
A turbo essentially spits more air into the engine so that you can have a bigger combustion and get more horsepower. If the octane is lowered the gas will not burn as hot (i.e. will not burn as well) this will mess with the turbo charger and ultimately lead to a lot of service problems. Premium fuel plays more roles than just a performance enhancer. It is more clean and helps extend the life of the engine. Perhaps you got away with it on your old 3 series because it was a smaller engine, less complex (by a lot), less sensitive etc. etc. but now a days if you do anything to take the engine out of its optimum conditions you will be throwing service lights left and right. So saving money on gas will lead you to spend money + time on service/maintenance.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
For the very small amount of annual extra expense to run 91 over 87 or even 89; it is just not worth IMO in performance lost, and, with a turbo engine, in possible longer term damage to the engine.

If you can buy the car, you can buy the recommended gas.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
......well, yes I will use premium fuel because of manufacturer recommendations.
Then why did you already put 87 & 89 in it???!!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: x3 turbo
The higher octane is used to in conjunction with higher compression which yields better performance and better MPG. A 91 octane fuel can be compressed more and not pre-detonate. When you run 87 octane the vehicle retards the timing to account for the lower octane and eliminate knock or pre-ignition. Ultimately you loose power and effeciency and may even cause premature ware of internal components. Do yourself a favor and never run below 91 octane.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:05 PM

The higher cost of fuel isn't a factor for me. The expected improvement in mileage over what I'm driving now will more than make up for the higher fuel cost. I'll be spending a bit more to fill the tank, but doing so less frequently. I'm anticipating a $400+ annual savings at today's gas prices.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 PM

...............why 87? Because I'm curious to 'feel' and see the difference and I didn't. No question, a high compressions engine offers better performance with premium gasoline. Low grade may cause pinging but then again that depends on your driving style; no lead-footing and you'll likely never notice. Can't see how it could damage a turbo. BTW the 325 E90 engine has much the same 3 liter volume as todays N55, tough much less sophisticated.

In any case, just want to be sure I am not spending 20 to 40 cents per gallon to make the gas companies happier. OTOH I could go with 87 for the next 100K miles and then report back, ha.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X3
Quote:
...............why 87? Because I'm curious to 'feel' and see the difference and I didn't. No question, a high compressions engine offers better performance with premium gasoline. Low grade may cause pinging but then again that depends on your driving style; no lead-footing and you'll likely never notice. Can't see how it could damage a turbo. BTW the 325 E90 engine has much the same 3 liter volume as todays N55, tough much less sophisticated.

In any case, just want to be sure I am not spending 20 to 40 cents per gallon to make the gas companies happier. OTOH I could go with 87 for the next 100K miles and then report back, ha.
your car your choice. But IMHO one shouldn't buy a BMW to start being a cheap skate on gas. With nice things you get what you pay for. If you want to skimp out on the octane type, and then do service changes later than you should or just take the cheap road out every time you will not be left with a BMW you will be left with an unreliable car that does not run like it was built to. However, some people have to learn the hard way and its your right to do so. Enjoy.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
In Europe we'd see even 91 octane as very low. 95 to 97 is more typically what's used in western Europe - unless we measure octane differently too....?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivem2 View Post
In Europe we'd see even 91 octane as very low. 95 to 97 is more typically what's used in western Europe - unless we measure octane differently too....?
It is different way of measuring octane between NA and Europe.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
It is different way of measuring octane between NA and Europe.
Ah, I see now that 91 US is 95.5 European. Shame we don't all use the same units.

a