Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745LI
Driver door window noise

02 745Li - the driver door window has started making a rattling noise. It operates fine but when it is all the way up it makes a noise like the glass is loose. It is not coming from any of the panels. If I tap the window down button and lower the glass a fraction of an inch, the noise goes away. Any ideas what this could be? Maybe the window is going up too much?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 07-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkp1 View Post
02 745Li - the driver door window has started making a rattling noise. It operates fine but when it is all the way up it makes a noise like the glass is loose. It is not coming from any of the panels. If I tap the window down button and lower the glass a fraction of an inch, the noise goes away. Any ideas what this could be? Maybe the window is going up too much?

Hhmm strange issue is if you roll the window all the way down ,try to look in to it with a flash light maybe something is loose are someone dropped something between it
Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:

it's the window pressing on the rubber a bit to much and the rubber actually causing noises. The best thing to do is go to a honda dealer and ask them for something called

"shin-Etsu Grease" it comes in a tube. Apply some to the rubber on the window and it'll help lubricate the plastics and restore them. This stuff is great for the seals around the doors, moonroof, etc.

Be sure that you clean the rubber/window channels first before putting the grease on! The easiest way is to take a thin towel, then wrap it around the edge of a credit card and simply run it up and down. Then put a dabble of grease and spread it the same way, just with a non-absorbent towel.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
it's the window pressing on the rubber a bit to much and the rubber actually causing noises. The best thing to do is go to a honda dealer and ask them for something called

"shin-Etsu Grease" it comes in a tube. Apply some to the rubber on the window and it'll help lubricate the plastics and restore them. This stuff is great for the seals around the doors, moonroof, etc.

Be sure that you clean the rubber/window channels first before putting the grease on! The easiest way is to take a thin towel, then wrap it around the edge of a credit card and simply run it up and down. Then put a dabble of grease and spread it the same way, just with a non-absorbent towel.
Interesting - I thought it might be something like that so I sprayed some silicone lubricant in the channel but it didn't do anything. I assume this grease is something I can get at the Honda parts dept? I drive past a dealer on my way home. Will give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Interesting - I thought it might be something like that so I sprayed some silicone lubricant in the channel but it didn't do anything. I assume this grease is something I can get at the Honda parts dept? I drive past a dealer on my way home. Will give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks

yep, shin-etsu grease is some of the best stuff I've come across and will quiet a lot of things and rejuvenate rubber quite well!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 PM
02 745li

Mein Auto: 02 745Li
My pass window was making a very low crackling noise. It was a bad regulator $430 later all is well.
New OEM regulator and labor - a lot less then dealer price

Last edited by kennyw418; 07-28-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
My driver window was making a crunching noise at 30k miles, new regulator under warr..
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 745i
My passenger side window is making the crackling sounds as it nears the top, too. I guess my regulator is on its last leg - will get it checked out...
Old 07-29-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
yep, shin-etsu grease is some of the best stuff I've come across and will quiet a lot of things and rejuvenate rubber quite well!
Does the grease take a while to set in? I bought and applied it last night but the noise is still there although a little bit better. How much do you put on? I was afraid to slather it everywhere and have grease all over the window and door but maybe I need to use it more liberally..
Old 07-29-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Does the grease take a while to set in? I bought and applied it last night but the noise is still there although a little bit better. How much do you put on? I was afraid to slather it everywhere and have grease all over the window and door but maybe I need to use it more liberally..
It takes a little bit (few hours) to soak into the rubber. I use about a pea sized dabble on each side of the window so it doesn't bleed off and out onto the window and cause a mess!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 750LI
Hi, just got the word on my window, and like the others, it's a bad regulator. Fortunately, it's still under warranty!! I asked them to triple check all of the all windows. this was on my rear window but my front drivers side make an odd noise, but it sounded more like the rubber on that one. They said they're cleaning it and will keep trying it.
Hope you get it fixed! Mine started with noise and then it just didn't work at all. At least it was closed when it stopped working!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:09 PM

Today, I replaced FL regulator. I got one from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT and it took 30 min. to replace it. It was easier then I thought. There is good guide on DIY
Old 08-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
It takes a little bit (few hours) to soak into the rubber. I use about a pea sized dabble on each side of the window so it doesn't bleed off and out onto the window and cause a mess!
Finally fixed- after trial and error (and a lot of shin etsu grease) I figured out that the noise wasn't coming from the glass itself but from the rubber and plastic inside the door at the top. When the window is all the way up, it pushes the top of the window frame closer to the gasket on the door jamb. They were rubbing together creating the noise. 2 applications of the shin etsu grease on the door jamb gasket and it is as quiet as ever. Thanks again for the help.