Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3 Convertible
Loud Knocking noise from rear on acceleration

My car feels juddery and there is a knocking noise coming from rear when I accelerate(and feels a bit lumpy) Could this be the diff? When coasting the diff does not make any strange noises only when accelerating at the low rev range. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Update - The garage thought it might be the rear bushes. These were checked out but were fine. It is now at BMW

Last edited by chester555; 11-09-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-11-2010, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 740il Dinan S2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester555 View Post
My car feels juddery and there is a knocking noise coming from rear when I accelerate(and feels a bit lumpy) Could this be the diff? When coasting the diff does not make any strange noises only when accelerating at the low rev range. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Update - The garage thought it might be the rear bushes. These were checked out but were fine. It is now at BMW
I still think it is the bushings. Does the rear end feel loose? Mine did and I finally found bushings on the lower front sides of the rear suspension that were completely worn out. Replaced them and it finally handles like I wad told a m3 would
Old 11-29-2010, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M3 Conv
driveshaft center support and/or guibo disc...
Old 11-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Its usualy one of two things...

You center flex disc aka (guibo)

Click HERE for more information.

Or its your differential...

Often overlooked, scheduled rear differential service is very important. Over time gear lube breaks down causing bearings and internal components fail. Regular maintenance will keep your vehicle running properly for years to come.

Rear differential service kit includes:
* Three bottle of Genuine BMW Limited Slip Gear Lube
* Two New Genuine BMW Drain/Fill plugs
* Drain plug O-ring

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3 Convertible
Thanks everyone. I must say you have all proved to be spot on. I took it to BMW where the diagnosis was centre propshaft floor bracket stub broken. A previous owner had bodged it instead of doing it properly and over the 6 months I have owned it suddenly went. I also had to replace shaft seal input flange final drive, replace rotary shaft seal for drive flange right, replace front prop shaft rubber coupling and bearing, had the diff serviced and oil replaced, 2 rear coil springs, picked it up from BMW and it was still making a knocking noise under load. So took it back and they said the rear bushings were worn. So it goes back to BMW on Monday to sort out. Whole bill exceeded £3,000. Not nice. Thanks again guys for your comments. Hopefully be back on the road again soon.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:39 PM
NOTHING REALLY....

Mein Auto: E46-M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester555 View Post
thanks everyone. I must say you have all proved to be spot on. I took it to bmw where the diagnosis was centre propshaft floor bracket stub broken. A previous owner had bodged it instead of doing it properly and over the 6 months i have owned it suddenly went. I also had to replace shaft seal input flange final drive, replace rotary shaft seal for drive flange right, replace front prop shaft rubber coupling and bearing, had the diff serviced and oil replaced, 2 rear coil springs, picked it up from bmw and it was still making a knocking noise under load. So took it back and they said the rear bushings were worn. So it goes back to bmw on monday to sort out. Whole bill exceeded £3,000. Not nice. Thanks again guys for your comments. Hopefully be back on the road again soon.
my m3 is making the same noise, can you tell me what rear bushings were changed on yours? Couse the noise is killing me
Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 M3--'11 X5 50i
btw, would worn bushings make "clanking" or sound of a loose spinning hub cab? the sound is more distinct when accelerating from 2nd to 3rd with the SMG. the rear diff. fluid was replaced 2 years ago and Insp. II with rear pads performed last year.
'08 535i-"never more HPFPs"-sold
'05 ///M3 'vert - my Valium
'11 X5 50i:blck/blck-all the goods, except the M package
Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Wrenchin'

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Worst case scenario, your rear subframe is torn.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:07 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Just to be accurate, the subframe is not what tears. It is the body/chassis where the subframe mounts.

Turner Motorsport has a reinforcement kit to prevent it from happening or repairing it after it occurs.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)