Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest East 2011

Bimmerfest East 2011
Bimmerfest is finally coming to the east coast for the 1st time on August 6, 2011!!!

Find out more about Bimmerfest East 2011 at the official event site!

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
I've worked in a unionized environment one summer while in university and I am not a fan of unions after that experience; they create an US vs THEM environment which is unhealthy.

BMW may have received loans from the government but banks were not lending to anyone in 2008 so I'm sure the money was used to keep the US manufacturing plants operating.

I currently work in a union environment, and NO ONE, and I do mean NO ONE does more to create an "us v. them" environment more than upper management does.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpWith335i View Post
I currently work in a union environment, and NO ONE, and I do mean NO ONE does more to create an "us v. them" environment more than upper management does.
It takes two to tango.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 08-08-2011, 01:06 AM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
hrm.. so that's what those ppl were doing. When i rolled in, i saw a bunch of ppl there, but i was looking for the entrance to the parking lot, so i never read any of their signs. :x
Old 08-08-2011, 06:57 AM
One Bad 3

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
They are not an American company. If it was an American car company, exporting jobs, I would say that the Union workers have a reason to be upset. That said, if a foreign company doesn't want to employ American's then they shouldn't have to. Wouldn't everyone like jobs in the US? Yes. but that doens't mean that it's Germany's responcibility to supply them.

I wish BMW employed more Americans, but it isn't their job to do so.

That said, I apreciate that the protesters were polite and relatively quiet. They did not ruin the event for me, and thankfully noone was stupid enough to start real problems (I Think)

Hers:
2001 X5 3.0 | Titanium Silver | Grey Dakota Leather | Premium | Activity Package| Climate Package | >200,000 miles |... and lots of repairs!

Last edited by BigWalmac; 08-08-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
Forgive me here but was kinda conflicted since I am a TEAMSTER. Always pro union but dont think it was the right venue to hand out flyers. Glad no one went after those old geezers
Old 08-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: yes
While I can respect a person's reasoning for pursuing employment within a "Union shop" what you need to realize is that the company is in the business of doing business and not catering to the Unions or their members. You have chosen to have a third party "collectively" bargain for you and the Unionized labor force at your place of employment. There will always be a "butting of heads" when you have a group ready to go on strike when outlandish demands, usually that further financially strap a business, are not met and violence ensues.

And I don't want hear it doesn't because I had it happen to me personally when I crossed a picket line here in 1994 at a local grocery store. It turned ugly when I emerged from the store, groceries in tow and began to load up a "foreign" car. A meat cutter approached to give me a tongue lashing and spit in my face. That was the last thing he did before I punched him in the throat damn near knocking him out. A produce Manager came to his rescue to get two fingers broken and two black eyes. I didn't start that fight but I sure the hell ended it. Arguments that the Unions are peace loving people are going to fall on deaf ears here so don't come with them, please.

At least these Teamsters didn't get rowdy at Bimmerfest. From taking a second look at the photos their might have been more broken hips and eyeglasses than anything.

I wouldn't have a problem with the strikes if it weren't for the violence. This country was founded on dissension, freedom, and liberty. Strikes are not about any of that. They are a formal show of force for nothing more than intimidation, plain and simple. The Teamsters could have conveyed the same message with a few people peacefully presenting their case. Instead they show up with vulgar tee shirts and banners then have a plane flying a banner overhead. Who is funding all of this????

The other problem I have with the Strike is that these Union workers will stand in front of the employer picketing about "working conditions", "substandard pay", or "lack of benefits". They will say the ugliest and nastiest things about THEIR OWN employer and then when the contract is negotiated they will go right back to work for the employer they detest so much. Hypocrisy appears to have become an American trait. For the love of Christ if the job is that bad do like the rest of us do - GO GET A DIFFERENT JOB or better yet - CREATE YOUR OWN JOB and become an employer seeing first hand how difficult it can be at times to deal with employees.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbrother1 View Post
.....We will end up in a have and have not world if things continue this way.
Aren't we pretty much there already?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
It takes two to tango.
Do you work where I do? Doubt it.

My suggestion would be to not speak about things you have no understanding of. On the other hand, I can tell reading some of your posts that you are simply parroting Glenn Beck or some other such nut job. And since he is "god" to so many of you.....

It's kind of sad reading some of your posts. Certainly makes me not interested in any Bimmerfest events if it means hanging out with some of this crowd.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalmac View Post
Wouldn't everyone like jobs in the US? Yes.
Do you really think that?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i Xdrive
Sorry I could not make Bimmerfest due to family obligations, and am very jealous of all attendees, HOPE U guys had a great time............

but attendees are not corporate BMW. I am all for the teamsters and unions and the services they provide but they should have gone after BMW corporate themselves................I could understand if they protested at a BMW Corporate Sponsored Event, but to Enthusiasts???!!!! I think they were out of line................The Plane with a banner was a bit much..................

Last edited by Maverick64; 08-09-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: yes
Quote:
On the other hand, I can tell reading some of your posts that you are simply parroting Glenn Beck or some other such nut job. And since he is "god" to so many of you.....
I was wondering how long it was going to take to go there. Now all the waskly evil wight wing wepublicans know what they are dealing with. Gotta go my favorite program is coming on the T.V. - the Communist News Network - CNN.

I should have know this would turn into someone's pity party.

FedUpWith335i - if you're fed up with it I hope you find yourself a nice Chrysler LHS, Ford Explorer, or Chevy Malibu that brings you happiness once again and gets you back in the good graces of your church, Union.

The best of luck.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Do you work where I do? Doubt it. My suggestion would be to not speak about things you have no understanding of.
I worked for UPS (an American company) up here in Toronto and it was the most repulsive job I've held due to the union environment. It was an eye-opener and inspired me to work harder in school. The never ending propaganda from the union leaders about the "evil company management" was sickening. Those "evil" management types are the guys running the company and creating jobs for the union workers. Without the management there would be no jobs.

Quote:
On the other hand, I can tell reading some of your posts that you are simply parroting Glenn Beck or some other such nut job. And since he is "god" to so many of you......
I am afraid you are the misinformed one in this case. I'm in Canada, where our conservative party is about 3x more liberal than the Democrats, I don't even know who Glenn Beck is.

Quote:
It's kind of sad reading some of your posts. Certainly makes me not interested in any Bimmerfest events if it means hanging out with some of this crowd.
Again...WTF? I have created a bunch of DIYs for this community and 90% of my posts are answers to other members questions.

I've read your 63 posts too, and they are mainly in the classified section or you complaining about your 335i (no surprise based on your handle).
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 08-09-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Sure, you'd see it that way from your POV. As an outsider that had to go into many union plants and work with both management and union members, I'd say the union was frequently the more guilty party. I was hired by the company to do a job, but had to be nicer to union members just so that they wouldn't get in my way. Frequently, I'd brought in because the union members refused to do a job they for which they qualified. Since I knew the game and had made "friends" with the union members, they'd actually do the job for me just to prove to me they knew how.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 08-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
This thread is spinning out of control. Never thought this would happen in the Bimmerfest Event forum of all places... I am Fed Up now too myself, gonna close this discussion since we have resorted to personal attacks on the "Bimmerfest Crowd". Such "holier than thou" comments are not welcome here...

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 08-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodycustom1 View Post
I was ready to get a couple bmw lovers together and go on over and thump a couple of those a-holes
sometimes I get close to goin over the edge
my ol lady got the good ol lady song for holdin me back just abit
I wonder what the cost was for the show for the union???
was that an old bi-plane trailin the sign ????

Can you turn my E36 M3 into a Ranchero?

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Closed Thread