Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 08-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentenn
the dealer and he said it couldn't be adjusted.
As CB said, and what I said to start this thread, it must have the 'active' setting, then the mirror moves when the driver/passenger rear view mirror selector (for adjusting) switch is set to passenger. (see my second post where I actually quoted the BMW settings document).

Now you are saying it only moves when it is set to driver. That means the keycode setting is set to 'inactive' (as I said before BAD Naming, as it still works, ie: DOES SOMETHING) in this case, it move the mirror all the way down, ie: straight down to the lowest position, so you can see the curb, and help prevent yourself from scrapping up your wheels.

Your dealer is correct with this keycode setting, there is no adjustment. I don't know if 325's have the option to set this to 'active'. Don't let the terminology throw you, the inactive setting does work also, and almost all 3 series are set that way by BMW-NA.

I think we are now repeating ourselves on this thread, and the answers were given in full in posts 2 and 3.

M3 05 Imola/Black, ZCP, ZPP, SMG, Xenon, Nav, Heated, Lumbar, HK -- Euro Delivery Pictures

Last edited by e36M3r; 08-28-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: M3
one last thing... it can NOT be done by you following any kind of instructions, THEY MUST hook the car up to the service Computer and make the change in the software settings!
this is not a hardware issue.
As I said, most dealers are just plain "ignrnt"!

Life is like a B Movie, you wouldn't want to sit through it twice, but you'd hate to leave it in the middle!
Old 08-28-2005, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4
Ok, I just reread all the posts in this thread, then went out to my car and indeed the switch is set in the inactive position. So eventhough I am not able to change the mirror postioning myself I want to thank both you for helping educated me in this matter. I think it's kinda silly that you can't make the adjustment more easily. I think it's a great feature, but in it's current configuration it seems rather usless. Oh sure I can see the curb directly next to me, but if I"m just backing up I could hit something since I can't see behind me. So in conclusion, I will talk to my SA the next time I go in and see if he can put the switch into the "active" setting.

Thanks again

I keep this picture up as a tribute to the 330 ZHP. I now have a Z4

Old 08-28-2005, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
If the switch is in the "Active" position (ie: mirror goes down in reverse when switch is to passenger side) then yes, you adjust the mirror to where you want it (ie: 50%) while in reverse then it will go back there each time.

If the mirror drops in reverse with switch to drivers side, then Inactive is set in the key memory (like car options) and it by default drops down all the way. In this case your dealer will have to reset that option to "active". They will likely charge you for this. Perhaps if you do it at a scheduled service, they may be nice and comp you.

I find even with active set, I drop the mirror basically all the way, as you can see the 50% stuff normally. Thus you can see the curb and avoid hitting it, which is obviously what BMW had in mind as seen by the default action.
Its amazing. I took mine to the dealer after I had it activated to adjust it so it didn't look so far to the ground in a useless position. How come the dealer didn't know this? they couldn't figure out how to make it adjust only 50%. I had just given up. Thanks E36r, still have to meet up some day

2011 535i
2003 540i-6 M-tech SOLD
1964 MGB Roadster
1980 International Scout II 345 v-8

2004 M3 Alpine White SOLD 2/14/09 We were in love
Old 08-28-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hr Day
Its amazing. I took mine to the dealer after I had it activated to adjust it so it didn't look so far to the ground in a useless position. How come the dealer didn't know this? they couldn't figure out how to make it adjust only 50%. I had just given up. Thanks E36r, still have to meet up some day

Not sure what you are saying there... "took mine to the dealer AFTER I had it activated"-
why would you need to take it back after you had this done?
after it is changed, it is easy to adjust yourself...

Life is like a B Movie, you wouldn't want to sit through it twice, but you'd hate to leave it in the middle!
Old 08-28-2005, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bebop
Not sure what you are saying there... "took mine to the dealer AFTER I had it activated"-
why would you need to take it back after you had this done?
after it is changed, it is easy to adjust yourself...
After it was activated I brought it back because it would tip too far down to be of any real use. Nobody at the dealership knew how to adjust the height of the mirror. There is metion of it's adjustment in the manual, but no directions on how to adjust it.

2011 535i
2003 540i-6 M-tech SOLD
1964 MGB Roadster

Old 08-28-2005, 09:56 AM

Sounds familiar, huh?

Old 08-28-2005, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hr Day
After it was activated I brought it back because it would tip too far down to be of any real use. Nobody at the dealership knew how to adjust the height of the mirror. There is metion of it's adjustment in the manual, but no directions on how to adjust it.

not to beat a dead horse, but if it drops all the way down the software is set to "Inactive" and it will not work.
Only when the dealer changes the software settings will it more with the switch in the right (passenger) side position.
The switch MUST be in the passenger position in order to adjust the mirror to the position you desire.
If you put the car in Reverse and the Switch (mirror adjustment switch on armrest) in the Passenger position and it doesn't move the Software is set to Inactive.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:54 PM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
After the dealer sets the tilt mirror to "Active" its default setting is still all the way down. It is now adjustable, but the owners manual is less than helpful on this subject. If your dealer doesn't know how to adjust it (and it seems that many don't) you are left to experimentation or places like Bimmerfest.com.

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 08-29-2005, 09:34 AM

too true, the dealers can't even figure out that it can be made active, and many simply state flat out that adjusting the tilt is impossible!
However.com, if it is active, it will adjust just the same way as any other mirror.

the manual is just plain worthless on this point.

I used to have a printout of the steps involved that I had one of the BMW Techs print out for me explaining how this is done and I passed that around on the boards for some time but it was lost in a heavy surge lightning strike last year... heavy sigh.

Bottom line, it is dead easy to adjust yourself once you convince the dealers that it is indeed something that BMW included/intended, and not some pipe dream.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:58 AM

I hear ya Cowboy. I'll have to see what I can do down here.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clevenger
After the dealer sets the tilt mirror to "Active" its default setting is still all the way down. It is now adjustable, but the owners manual is less than helpful on this subject. If your dealer doesn't know how to adjust it (and it seems that many don't) you are left to experimentation or places like Bimmerfest.com.
exactly, mine is active but it wasn't until this thread that I realized you could adjust the amount of down angle. Consider this horse DEAD and BEATEN!

2011 535i
2003 540i-6 M-tech SOLD
1964 MGB Roadster

Old 08-30-2005, 04:33 AM

Old 08-30-2005, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 04 M3
Smile

I think if you Hit ABBUUDRRDABBCA you can rip there spine out and do a cool fatality!!
Old 08-30-2005, 05:13 PM
humanum est errare

Mein Auto: which day is this?
I brought the car in for its annual service (2 years old and 8600 miles). Asked them to activate the custom reverse mirror tilt and a couple other features. Picked up the car and all the programming got done, except for the custom reverse mirror tilt. To give the dealership credit, they told me to bring the car back in and they will try to figure out the right programming option, so car goes back in on Friday.

In the meantime, I dug up these instructions, which might help everyone else who wants to customize the reverse mirror tilt (normally my passenger mirror is adjusted all the way to the right and I would like, on reverse, for the mirror to adjust inward so that I can see the distance between my rear wheel and the curb):

Here is what they need to do to activate the custom reverse mirror tilt settings:

1. Connect the car to the DIS system.
2. Choose "1. Car Memory"
3. Choose "9. Seat/Mirror Memory"
4. Choose "2. Mirror Memory Automatic Kerb Parking Function"
5. Choose "1. Active" (It is set to "Inactive" by default)
6. Upload the new settings to the car.
7. Turn the ingnition off and then back on.
8. Disconnect the car from the DIS system.

To position the mirror:
1. Push the mirror selector switch to the passenger side.
2. Put the car in reverse. (The mirror should tilt down)
3. Adjust the mirror position to what ever makes you happy.
4. Put the car back into N or 1. (The mirror should tilt back up)

That's it. Now when ever you back up the mirror will adjust to your custom settings, instead of all the way down. Please note that the mirror adjustment selector switch must be set to the passenger side for this to work. This is opposite of the way it works by default.

David

2004 e83 3.0, 2003.5 e46 M3 Cic, 2008 e9x 335xia, 2008 Sienna XLE Limted AWD
========================
Gone: 2006 B7 A4, 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L RES
Old 08-30-2005, 05:55 PM

Wow

Who said this was a dead horse?

Scfa, let me be the first to say thank you for this information

I am totally amazed someone actually has the direction on how to activate the switch.

Now we can all get this problem resolved

I gotta print this out,

BTY, how is it that you have these instructions?

Thanks again

Last edited by zentenn; 08-30-2005 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:52 PM
humanum est errare

Mein Auto: which day is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentenn
Wow

BTY, how is it that you have these instructions?

Thanks again

Did a Yahoo search on bmw AND m3 AND rear AND mirror AND tilt. Waded through about 100 hits and finally came across a roadfly post that linked to the instructions. The instructions actually date back to 2002!

So, 3 years later, service departments still DON'T know how to activate this feature.

LOL

Well, I emailed these instructions to my service advisor this evening. Hopefully, by Friday, I will be able to get this feature activated.

woo hoo

David

2004 e83 3.0, 2003.5 e46 M3 Cic, 2008 e9x 335xia, 2008 Sienna XLE Limted AWD
========================
Gone: 2006 B7 A4, 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L RES
Old 08-30-2005, 09:12 PM

yup!
those are the same instructions I had the tech print out.

the only thing it doesn't say is that you still have to turn the key off and lock the doors for the settings to be stored in Memory.

I had people who I gave that print out to take it to their dealer and they STILL told them it couldn't be done

some dealers!

Old 08-13-2011, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Custom Reverse Mirror Tilt Settings

Thank you for this EXCELLENT write-up, exactly the issue I wanted to resolve!

I have a 2011 X5 xDrive 35d. I asked the dealer to complete the steps you indicate in your post. Tech at the dealership told me these steps you quote only works for E53 style and mine is an E70. Further, for E70, the amount of tilt when in reverse is not adjustable - either by the dealer or the driver.

On my E70 model X5, to make the mirror tilt when in reverse, the switch on the driver door panel has to be on the "left" side. If I manually tilt it, the driver side mirror will tilt down. If I slide the switch to the passenger side and tilt the passenger side mirror down, it will not return to normal position when I shift out of reverse. To go back to "normal" position I have to press the seat memory button! Yes all of this gets tedious in a hurry!

Any idea what the dealer tech told me is correct? i.e. the steps you outline is not applicable to E70 X5.

Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfca-325i View Post
I brought the car in for its annual service (2 years old and 8600 miles). Asked them to activate the custom reverse mirror tilt and a couple other features. Picked up the car and all the programming got done, except for the custom reverse mirror tilt. To give the dealership credit, they told me to bring the car back in and they will try to figure out the right programming option, so car goes back in on Friday.

In the meantime, I dug up these instructions, which might help everyone else who wants to customize the reverse mirror tilt (normally my passenger mirror is adjusted all the way to the right and I would like, on reverse, for the mirror to adjust inward so that I can see the distance between my rear wheel and the curb):

Here is what they need to do to activate the custom reverse mirror tilt settings:

1. Connect the car to the DIS system.
2. Choose "1. Car Memory"
3. Choose "9. Seat/Mirror Memory"
4. Choose "2. Mirror Memory Automatic Kerb Parking Function"
5. Choose "1. Active" (It is set to "Inactive" by default)
6. Upload the new settings to the car.
7. Turn the ingnition off and then back on.
8. Disconnect the car from the DIS system.

To position the mirror:
1. Push the mirror selector switch to the passenger side.
2. Put the car in reverse. (The mirror should tilt down)
3. Adjust the mirror position to what ever makes you happy.
4. Put the car back into N or 1. (The mirror should tilt back up)

That's it. Now when ever you back up the mirror will adjust to your custom settings, instead of all the way down. Please note that the mirror adjustment selector switch must be set to the passenger side for this to work. This is opposite of the way it works by default.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:29 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy330Ci View Post
Another semi-related point I learned by mistake: Don't set your seat memory while the car is in reverse! I had backed out of my garage and decided to set my memory while still in reverse, and didn't pay attention for a few miles until I noticed my passenger mirror was all the way down. Took my a bit to realize what had happened!
And you're telling everybody?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:33 PM
"Clunker" *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r View Post
Yep, as CB said, yours is set to "inactive" (bad wording likely) thus the drivers side positioning. That appears to be the way NA dealers like to set it. In that setup the mirror moves straight down to the lowest position possible when in reverse, then back up when in N or a forward gear.
If the switch is set to RH mirror it will go to where you set it. IF the switch is set to LH mirror the RH mirror will respond to the Reverse command, because you haven't given other instructions.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:35 PM
"Clunker" *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hr Day View Post
exactly, mine is active but it wasn't until this thread that I realized you could adjust the amount of down angle. Consider this horse DEAD and BEATEN!
Sorry for my input. I didn't see that this was an ancient thread. Apparently BMWs are much too complicated for many of their owners.

Last edited by ProRail; 08-13-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: General razzz.