Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 02 x5
My 2006 X5, 4.4 is going thru a quart and a half of oil a week.

So I took it to dealer as it is CPO, and today marks the two week point of it being there, and they still can't find the problem.

They claim the seals measure out fine, and are hesitant to do heads at a cost of 10K plus?

What's my next stp as it is just sitting out back at dealer?
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by repo View Post
So I took it to dealer as it is CPO, and today marks the two week point of it being there, and they still can't find the problem.

They claim the seals measure out fine, and are hesitant to do heads at a cost of 10K plus?

What's my next stp as it is just sitting out back at dealer?
Dealer should know what to check.... they may not want to touch it but they have to...

How many miles you making a week to burn Q1/4 of oil?
If you making <500 miles/wk i.e and "loosing" that much - it is alarming...
it can leak out (should see drops), leak to cooling system (could be faulty head gasket and should see oil in coolant) or it gets burned - exhaust gas analysis should show it...
If engine burns that much - they should see codes and have tests to run engine analysis
Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 02 x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porando View Post
Dealer should know what to check.... they may not want to touch it but they have to...

How many miles you making a week to burn Q1/4 of oil?
If you making <500 miles/wk i.e and "loosing" that much - it is alarming...
it can leak out (should see drops), leak to cooling system (could be faulty head gasket and should see oil in coolant) or it gets burned - exhaust gas analysis should show it...
If engine burns that much - they should see codes and have tests to run engine analysis
1 1/2 quarts every 500 miles. This is the third weekend they want to "mark the oil level and see how much it is losing.

What does that prove?

They claimed they checked the valve seals and they are ok.

So, the earliest we will get it back is another week, as they will not even determine anything till next Monday.

They claim nothing shows in their tests. It is not leaking anywhere. Possible heads or o rings?

My wife is driving me nuts complaining about her Buick Enclave rental.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750i, x5 4.6is, E46 M3
There are total of four valve over gaskets, two on the outside and two on the inside near the spark plugs.. Ask him to removed the spark plugs to see if there is any oil in the sleeves, possible that there is. How clean is your engine compartment? The reason I ask is because when the engine is dirty, it is very hard to tell where the oil oil is leaking from. also, do you see any blue gray smoke while driving? That would indicate that your head gasket is toast. 1 1/2 qt of oil for every 500 miles is a lot!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: X5
My guess would be the one or more of the rings have started to fail. If there is no visible leaking on the outside of the engine, that would be my guess. And it sounds as if the dealer is giving you the run around as well.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 04 BMW X5
Bring it to another dealer....
Old 08-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4, 2002 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHustle View Post
Bring it to another dealer....
I agree, seems like this dealer doesnt have the troubleshooting knowledge. Since there is no leak the oil is being burned away and must be repaired soon or it will only get worse or cause other internal problems. Bring it to another dealer ASAP. Let us know how it turns out, good luck bro!