Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
BMW F30 / F80 M3 test mule SPIED

With the E90 wrapping up production soon and with plenty of F30 spy shots going around it was only a matter of time until the F30 M3 was spied. The test mule pictures show the usual M upgrades including: 19" sport wheels, larger cross drilled rotors and multi-piston calipers, and a quad exhaust. This looks like standard F30 body work for now. The final M3 will sport wider front and rear fenders with much of the body work being made out of fiber reenforced plastics for weight savings.

The M3 is rumored to be powered by a tri-turbo 6 cylinder in either an inline or V configuration. The large displacement 8 cylinder engine is being dropped for fuel efficiency requirements.

Check out the pictures and then let us know what you think - http://www.autowereld.com/spyshots/d...?artikel=11989
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012-535i
Wait a minute....Hasn't everything we've heard about the new M3 been saying 2 door ONLY? That sure looks like M3 tailpipes on a 4 door....
Old 08-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530CE View Post
Wait a minute....Hasn't everything we've heard about the new M3 been saying 2 door ONLY? That sure looks like M3 tailpipes on a 4 door....
I believe that was just a rumor. Of course you could argue that BMW M is simply using a F30 sedan to test rough power plant and suspension options to get a jump start on the coupe development. That being said I think if they let a test mule be caught in such obvious M clothing it means we will see a production M3 sedan.

Maybe the concerns about taking away M5 sales didn't happen? Or with the new M3 coming with a turbo six it allows them to position the M3 as the lighter sporter car to the grand touring luxury V8 M5?

Who knows....all I can say is that I think a M3 sedan is coming.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012-535i
I like it. Right after mine was built I was walking into a Starbucks and there was a new M3 in the drive through. If mine had not already been on the water I think I would have canceled and ordered the M3 Sedan.
This one is my 8 th BMW and I think I should treat myself to an M one time before I get to old to enjoy it.

Oh, oh..........I hear voices saying too late, too late. I didn't want to hear that.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A6 TDI
I see Scott (BMW insider) has said the next M3 will use a tri-turbo inline six and not a vee six as rumoured. Why would BMW want to make such a complexied system, two turbos could easily achieve the desired output levels and is tried and proven technology, plus it much be lighter overall what with much less plumping. I think I will steer clear of the first year's product until I see how reliable this technology proves to be.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
I believe that was just a rumor. Of course you could argue that BMW M is simply using a F30 sedan to test rough power plant and suspension options to get a jump start on the coupe development. That being said I think if they let a test mule be caught in such obvious M clothing it means we will see a production M3 sedan.

Maybe the concerns about taking away M5 sales didn't happen? Or with the new M3 coming with a turbo six it allows them to position the M3 as the lighter sporter car to the grand touring luxury V8 M5?

Who knows....all I can say is that I think a M3 sedan is coming.

BMW would be foolish if they decided not to make the F30 M3. All BMW's prime competitors, Lexus, MB and Audi, will bring 4-door-M3-equivalents (IS-F, C-AMG, RS-4), and BMW doesn't want to be left out.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 08-16-2011, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBigMan View Post
I see Scott (BMW insider) has said the next M3 will use a tri-turbo inline six and not a vee six as rumoured. Why would BMW want to make such a complexied system, two turbos could easily achieve the desired output levels and is tried and proven technology, plus it much be lighter overall what with much less plumping. I think I will steer clear of the first year's product until I see how reliable this technology proves to be.
Primary reason for tri turbo - eliminatng turbo lag.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
Primary reason for tri turbo - eliminatng turbo lag.
Why, is the lag that noticeable in their bi-turbo applications?

Just sounds like they are over complicating things but since we are talking at M-Division I will hold my tongue until I test it myself, but I still would wait a year or so before buying one just to see how reliable it was.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Why, is the lag that noticeable in their bi-turbo applications?

Just sounds like they are over complicating things but since we are talking at M-Division I will hold my tongue until I test it myself, but I still would wait a year or so before buying one just to see how reliable it was.
Definitely - there is a turbo lag in cars with N54 and N55 engines. I had two E92 335i - '07 and '09, both with 6 MT. Comparing it to my current car - '11 E93 M3 6MT - there is world of a difference in throttle response, mostly due to turbo lag.

I'm not worrying about reliability - that's what the warranty is for.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
Definitely - there is a turbo lag in cars with N54 and N55 engines. I had two E92 335i - '07 and '09, both with 6 MT. Comparing it to my current car - '11 E93 M3 6MT - there is world of a difference in throttle response, mostly due to turbo lag.

I'm not worrying about reliability - that's what the warranty is for.
Well compared to the masterpiece that is the S65 engine then I have to conceed there is indeed lag but it's not dreadful compared to what is normal for FI engines, the only one better that spring to mind is Audi v6T and it's supercharged. And yes a warranty is there to catch all the early teething problems but I can't think of too many things worse than buying a new car and can't drive it because it's in the shop getting sorted it. So I personally will wait and see how things unfold.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Well compared to the masterpiece that is the S65 engine then I have to conceed there is indeed lag but it's not dreadful compared to what is normal for FI engines, the only one better that spring to mind is Audi v6T and it's supercharged. And yes a warranty is there to catch all the early teething problems but I can't think of too many things worse than buying a new car and can't drive it because it's in the shop getting sorted it. So I personally will wait and see how things unfold.
Since we're talking M3 here, S65 is the benchmark for the new engine.

I wouldn't worry about first year reliability. If there are any problems, they're usually sporadic, if you take the current M3 as an example. They're easily overcome by the joy of driving a new M3