Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 08-16-2011, 01:34 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Portable air tank or 12V air compressor?

I just did my first autocross in our new 335is Coupe (won 2nd Place in TS!).

When I used to autocross my S2000 I had a portable air tank that I took with me. It's well past the expiration date on the tank and the tire chuck doesn't work anymore so I decided to buy a new air tank. But after some research a 12V air compressor would probably be smaller and more versatile. I'd like to know what other drivers use that autocross or track their car.

What makes more sense, a portable air tank or a decent 12V air compressor? If a 12V air compressor, which one?

Also any recommendations for tire pressure for autocross for an E92 with staggered 18" high summer performance Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP, 225/40 ZR 18 88W front and 255/35 ZR 18 90W rear tires? Tire pressure on the door jamb is 33/41.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 08-16-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330ci (and Archer II)
I started off using an air tank. It seemed more "professional" and allowed quicker filling/adjustment (as long as I had good pressure). I also was concerned about running down my battery.
After that tank developed a slow leak and caused me some problems, I've gone to a 12v compressor. A decent quality compressor will be smaller, lighter, and will work plenty fast enough.