Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
X5 Won't Start After Removing and Replacing Fuses

Hi,

I am having a very difficult time with my 2005 X5 3.0i. The air conditioner was not working correctly, so I decided to check some fuses. I first pulled the ac fuse/fuses in the glove compartment, and they were fine. I then decided to check some of the other fuses that I thought might have something to do with the ac - like control system fuses. When I removed fuse #51 (I'm not 100% sure it was that one, but I think it was), the alarm sounded. Out of habit, I grabbed my key and tried pressing the center button to disarm, then pressed the others and inserted the key in the ignition and turned it to stop the alarm, but nothing stopped it. I then plugged the fuse back in, and the alarm stopped. I didn't think much of it at the time, and continued to pull other fuses one at a time, and replacing immediately. When I found no blown fuses, I went to start the engine, and it would not start. The engine cranked just fine, but made no attempt to start. I figured I somehow engaged some form of anti-theft system when I removed the fuses. I did a little reading on the forum, then tried a different key with no luck. I then removed the battery cables for thirty minutes, again, no luck. I had the car towed to the bmw dealer for diagnostics, and they are telling me there are at least three modules reading as dead. I have not heard back yet as to the final diagnosis, but I have a hard time believing I messed things up that badly by simply removing, then replacing a couple fuses. Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

Thanks,

-Dave
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Bimmer-X5

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 e53
Hi,
Yes it happened to me, I also had the ABS lights on in the dash, After pulling the fuses out and then replaceing them all ABS lights went off and the x5 started,
But my a/c is not working now,

Wayne