Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
2011 135i Questions

I'm looking at potentially purchasing a new 2011 135i coupe (M-Sport pack) with DCT transmission. I'm fairly familiar with BMWs as I came close to purchasing a 2007 335i a few years ago, but decided against it for a few reasons. A few questions I'm hoping you can help me out with on the 135i:

1. 2011 was the first year for the DCT transmission. I know it hasn't been out long, but have there been an issues with it so far? I test drove the car and think the transmission is great, but I want to make sure it will be decently reliable as well.

2. My biggest concern (and main reason I didn't buy a 335) is the potential hpfp issues. Is this still a problem with the N55 single turbo engine? Maybe this has truly been "fixed" by now?

3. For those of you driving 135s in the winter, are these cars decent with snow tires? It would be my year round car, and even though things are pretty flat where I live, we get a decent amount of snow. I'm coming from awd, so I understand it won't be nearly as easy to get around, but I want to make sure I'm not complete stuck if it snows 3 inches.

4. Any other reliability or other issues I should be aware of with the 135?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Ads by Google
Old 08-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
A lot of your questions are answered over at 1addicts.com where there's a really good 1-specific forum. I will transfer some of my accumulated knowledge but since I'm still waiting for my car I am unable to give you first-hand accounts. I have however driven a couple of 135i's with DCT so some of my observations are from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltrasportA4 View Post
1. 2011 was the first year for the DCT transmission. I know it hasn't been out long, but have there been an issues with it so far? I test drove the car and think the transmission is great, but I want to make sure it will be decently reliable as well.
The DCT has caused some complaint. Much of this centers around the DCT not acting like people expect. There are those who expect it to act like a normal automatic in "Drive" mode, but it really doesn't. Particularly transitions from reverse to drive or vice versa tend to throw people off. It isn't as smooth as a torque-converter based auto... but I personally prefer it. It's really a personal thing there.

However, there have also been "lag" problems that have been often reported. These go beyond feel problems to become almost a hazard, and there a number of firmware updates for the transmission in an attempt to alleviate these issues. I don't know if there's a solution yet, but my experiences with the DCT are pretty good... albeit short. Some reports say that lag is less but doesn't disappear when driven consistently in "Sport" mode.

Quote:
2. My biggest concern (and main reason I didn't buy a 335) is the potential hpfp issues. Is this still a problem with the N55 single turbo engine? Maybe this has truly been "fixed" by now?
I think the jury's still out on that one, but after a year in production cars there haven't been a significant number of failures. Those failures are well within the percentage of failures you'd expect from manufacturing defects rather than design problems. The previous HPFP-related failure rate was far higher than current. So while the problem may or may not be "fixed", it is almost certainly relieved by the N55.

Quote:
3. For those of you driving 135s in the winter, are these cars decent with snow tires? It would be my year round car, and even though things are pretty flat where I live, we get a decent amount of snow. I'm coming from awd, so I understand it won't be nearly as easy to get around, but I want to make sure I'm not complete stuck if it snows 3 inches.
This is not from experience, but I will say a good set of Blizzaks are usually more than enough to keep you rolling in most weather. Obviously, you need to be more careful than you do with AWD; if you get the front wheels caught in deep snow then you may be SOL. The last few years I've gotten through St. Louis winters quite handily with some cheap snow tires on some cheap rims... make sure you get snow tires that are narrower than your normal tires because wide tires will tend to get caught more! Narrower tires are far better in snow, though they do make your handling go to crap. My E46 and E60 were both fine in the snow, and I'm hoping for the same from my E82.

Quote:
4. Any other reliability or other issues I should be aware of with the 135?
Again, 1addicts is probably your best source of info, I haven't seen any significant reliability problems reported over there... at least no more than you see in the rest of BMW's model range. You have the usual range of electronic and mechanical gremlins you see in just about any manufactured product... especially BMW's... but I don't think the reliability is any worse than any other BMW. If you want a reliable sports sedan then you may be better looking at Infiniti or Acura; they build damned good cars that are typically more reliable than their teutonic counterparts. However, I find the Acura lacks passion and Infinitis lack the feel of solidity and fit and finish of a Bimmer. It depends what's really important to you.

Hope this helps!
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 08-14-2011, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
Thanks - I'll head over that way, things seem slow over here. Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:24 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Thanks - I'll head over that way, things seem slow over here. Appreciate your thoughts.
Yeah. We Bimmer fans are kind of subdued. Better look for some more rabid owners.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:21 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
My wife drives a 128, and I was a recent owner of an m-sport 335. I didn't have the DCT, but I did experience a HPFP failure. For me it was a minor issue. In short, the car had long cranks and rough idle. I called the next day, made an appointment, dropped the car and had it back that night. I've never understood all the drama on this site regarding this. I think the key was to take it in right away. People wait around for the issue to go away and then it just gets worse. Not to mention, I believe this issue is mostly resolved.

About the snow tires. I have heard it works fine, but I never drove mine in the snow. If it's snowing, I don't go to work and my wife at the time had an SUV.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 08-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
Quote:
I drive a 135 in Alaska year round, blizzaks in the winter.
No problems, keep in mind that you do not have the ground clearance of a p/u or suv. 4' to 5" of snow easily done any more is pushing it. (pun intended) In the winter a carry a small plastic snow shovel in the trunk, only had to use it a couple of times last winter.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i convertible
DCT is Enjoyable on 135i Conv

Have had 2011 135i Convertible with DCT and M pkg for 8 months, and have had no problems with DCT. No lag in shifting and no difference in shifting between 'normal' shift (car computer shifts), I use paddles (much more fun), or Sport mode (What out, barely in control!). I had difficult decision to not buy Manual, always have driven Manual, but after test driving DCT, learning that DCT is a bit quicker, and wanting at least one non-manual car, I decided to try DCT. Have no regrets. I assume that having a DCT will allow 135i to be marketed to a larger buying market, if I ever sell. It is harder to privately sell Manual sport cars because 85% or so of most drivers drive Automatics. I do not drive in snow, and have no HPFP problems (upgrade done at factory). I do wish BMW would offer an automatic hand waiving device for the rear window as I pull away from other 'fast' cars.