Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-11-2011, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
100K Mile maintenance advise

Hello all:

I have a 2002 X5 3.0. It is about to reach 100K miles. I want to get the 100K mile maintenance done which includes all the filter changes, oil changes, liquid changes and spark plug changes. This also includes Automatic transmission fluid flush and refill.

Here's my problem....the dealership suggests aginst flushing transmission fluid and I went to a another BMW mechanic and they suggest doing this. I am unsure of what to do. Have any of you guys got this done? What do you reccommend?

Thanks!
Cowboy_qb
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 04 BMW X5
I recommend flushing the trans as long as it follows factory procedure. I cant understand why dealerships are against it when they are trained to do just that @ 100k.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:43 AM

Thanks Charlie!

Dealership is suggesting against it because if they open the transmissions and flush it there is a possibility of slipping the 1st gear and the drive not being real smooth. This is the risk they say. If I don't get it done, then 100K miles is a lot and I could into transmission problems.

1up for getting it done. Has anyone that crossed 100K gotten it done or not and your views?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: X5
I agree with Charlie. If it follows BMW's protocol for 100K maint., then it should be done. I'll take the word of the gents at the factory any day over a dealership.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:49 AM

Thanks Lankster!

Any body out there that have got it, can you please share experiences?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4, 2002 Vette
Just do a normal Tranny service, not a power flush. When you do a power flush, they hook up a machine to your tranny that basically pressure flushes all the fluid out. The problem is that with a tranny with 100K has a good amount of sediment built up in it and the power flush will dislodge some of that sediment and cause transmission problems that you didnt have before. A regular tranny service is basically draining whatever fluid natrually comes out with gravity, replacing the filter, gaskets and refilling the fluid. If you transmission is operating well then do yourself a big favor and DO NOT do the power flush. You can do another fluid/filter change in about another 15-20K miles and you'll be good for a while after that. Good luck bro!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is, 535i x-drive
I've had dealers and independents advise to do the trans fluid drain and refill (not flush) every 75k-100k miles. If yours has already been done in the last 75k miles or if you had a replacement trans in that mileage, then wait would be their advice.

There is a reluctance to mess with automatic transmissions that are working - not just BMW. I guess sometimes even a fluid replacement can disturb things enough to cause problems. But at least make sure it has correct fluid level.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_qb View Post
Thanks Lankster!

Any body out there that have got it, can you please share experiences?
When I bought my X5 the first thing I did was have all the fluids changed, including the transmission fluid. That was at 108K miles. Today, 15 months and 14K miles later, the transmission is operating just fine with no hint of problems.

I've been through this discussion several times with many people who advise against it. All I can say is my independent mechanic, who has over 25 years working on BMWs for the dealer, has not observed any transmission problems resulting from changing the transmission fluid. He's never steered me wrong and has kept my BMW's is excellent running condition. I trust what he has to say.