Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
This is where you need some seat time to decide. Stepping directly from an F10, big Merc or Lexus the M3 will feel more confined and noisy for sure but drive it for a day and you might find out that it's both a relaxing and engaging car due to it's great seats, secure handling, blistering reflexes and the level of control you have over it. The suspension is firm but not harsh. If you still find it uncomfortable and miss your larger more luxo reference it's probably not the right car for you. I only miss two things from the F10, the far superior audio system and the heated steering wheel.

Essentially, I am not stepping from a 550 I am in practice stepping from a 328i M package...
(I also have a second 328 that is regular package and when I drive it back to back with the 550, I get really pissed about the 550's performance)

I mean...come on its not that I crave (well maybe) to have a really hard suspension
but I was saying to my self: Couldn't that 550i sports package have AT LEAST a comparable suspension with a REGULAR 16" tires E90? or a regular E 60?
and that freakin electronic wheel can;t they just PROGRAM it to be harder?
I paid extra 5000 for the sports package I should be entitled to this...

Funny, the simple 328's that I used to laugh at in comparison to my other E90's M package,
has now become a Goddess...in front of the 550's feeling...
Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Needsdecaf got this right. The M3 vs. 550 is not so much about speed and ability differences. The main difference is being connected and engaging vs. being luxurious and isolated. Both has plenty of speed and ability.
So, you quote me and then give Needsdecaf the compliment. Guess I just can't do anything right.

But if I were in the market for a RWD car at the present time I would make it a choice between the F30 M3 and the F10 M5. I think it would be worth the wait. Don't know when the new M3 will be out though.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
Guess there's two of us doing the M3-to-550i shuffle: L1Trauma and me. His 550i is at the VPC; mine is approaching Nova Scotia (if the ship is on time). I'm still enjoying my M3 immensely, but looking forward to the 550i. I was the one who was quoting torque figures in my comparison, referenced in post #2 of this thread.

Among other things, I'm a computer engineer ... hence, "gadget guy". I find myself now in a situation similar to where I was a few years ago. Then, I had an E39 M5 and an E92 335i Coupe. I found myself driving the M5 wishing for the features in the 335i. Now, I'm in the M3, thinking about the features in the 550i.

I'm sure there's more ///M cars in my future, and maybe I'm not as perceptive as the rest of the usual posters here, but I drove the 550i (M Sport, by the way), on the Nurburgring and on the autobahn at 160 MPH (after the 1200 mile breakin), and I didn't have any complaints.
Have you test-drive the 550 before you order it? did you see the isolation and steering?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1Trauma View Post
There's plenty of comparison between the two. Similar price, similar power, etc. They just aim at different markets. Some ways to make a decision:

1. Take the M3 to the crappiest roads you usually drive, and decide how "connected" you want to be. I drive in comfort mode on the M3 EDC on New Orleans roads, and normal mode on the highways. Sport mode is harsher but actually slower around a track (well, at least that was the forum consensus in 2008).
2. Figure out how often you're willing to go to redline in your drive. Stop and go traffic is not what the M3 is for. Your gas mileage will be godawful -- I get 13.5-13.9 in New Orleans traffic (if you choose it, you've got to let it rev).
3. Do you have any interest in the track? The 550 is not for the track.
4. Do you use the backseat often? For adults or kids? Adults will not like a 3 series for significant distances.
5. Do you like the latest tech, or are you OK with the current offerings in the M3?
6. Do you ever valet the car? Don't get DCT.
7. Do you drive long distances frequently? 550 has the advantage here.

Finally, what are your desires regarding what the car says about you? That sounds hokey but any car salesman will tell you just how much that matters to people. The M3 is a car that says "connoisseur" to other car lovers. I've had a few police officers complement me on it as they wrote up my ticket/warning -- "It's a shame you can't drive that car how it deserves, I'll give you a warning this time." Most women will just see a 3 series. My 20-something cousin asked me once what was special about the car because she saw men stare at it all the time. My 30 year old female friend asked me when I was going to buy a car appropriate for a "man of my position." (I'm 38, professional). Apparently she didn't understand how amazing the M3 is and thought I could/should spend more money on a car. Expect the M3 to get more attention from men, especially young ones. The average age of the M3 buyer is the youngest of all BMW vehicles. Valet parkers and random PS3-addicted teenagers/preteens will give you complements all the time, to the amusement of your wife.

I'll let you know how others view my 550 in a few years if you want

Listen,M3 you when you get the looks you absolutely know why these people are looking at.You will also get looks from young girls.

the 550i you get more looks from general public and you have no idea why they are looking could be for any reason. I mean it has become a little annoying to tell you the truth.
You will also get looks from females of all ages.

So if you like to get the looks you go 550 for sure. I am not sure how much it will last
but for now its everywhere.

But thats not the reason I drive a bmw. I do it absolutely for myself. I bond with the car the way the rest of enthusiasts do here. And with the 550 I can't. I have to admit
I did bond with the gadgets to a ridiculous point.
Beyond that I thought that the M3 is only for horney kidos right?

Until the dealer one day insisted to take a ride after he heard my remarks about the 550.
I was like..thats allrigh I used to have a 3 series M package, I don't think I should invest
on the same car with a better engine...
He was like do my a favor drive this car....drive it NOW.

So I did..again and again and again...I am still thinking it was a dream.
do I need to continue the story?

Last edited by bmw_enthusiasm; 08-22-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
So, you quote me and then give Needsdecaf the compliment. Guess I just can't do anything right.

But if I were in the market for a RWD car at the present time I would make it a choice between the F30 M3 and the F10 M5. I think it would be worth the wait. Don't know when the new M3 will be out though.
Yeah, sorry rich but I thought you were going in the wrong direction by comparing capability rather than feel. Decaf understands that for most of us it's more about the difference in feel than outright capabilities when comparing these. And once again, if you want 4 doors there is no guarantee that there will be an F30 M3 ( 4 doors ). The M5 will likely set you back around $110k when options + tax and license are paid so it's a bit of a jump.

Last edited by solstice; 08-22-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
L1trauma I think you're in for a bit of a disappointment if you think the 550i will save you any gas in the city compared to the M3. The 550i has a bigger engine to start with and when those fans are blowing you push even a greater volume of fuel into the cylinders. I think you can let the M3 rev quite often and still endup with similar mpg. Mpg is probably the area where these two are most comparable.
This is very true I test-drove M3 extensively and the mileage I dare to say
it was better than the 550i in the city. (well at the beginning I attributed this on the fact that 550i was not broken yet..) But from what I hear around, same thing applies for later mileage...
The 550 though should be better on the highway (it can go up to 28mpg realistically)(
Solstice maybe you can tell us if you reset and keep it on the cruise
what is the max you usually get on a highway?
is it still at 19?

because my 550i manual says highway 22 but I get 26min-28 max...
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post
This is very true I test-drove M3 extensively and the mileage I dare to say
it was better than the 550i in the city. (well at the beginning I attributed this on the fact that 550i was not broken yet..) But from what I hear around, same thing applies for later mileage...
The 550 though should be better on the highway (it can go up to 28mpg realistically)(
Solstice maybe you can tell us if you reset and keep it on the cruise
what is the max you usually get on a highway?
is it still at 19?

because my 550i manual says highway 22 but I get 26min-28 max...
~25 mpg with M-DCT for the hwy on cruise control. I don't know what the 6 MT is returning.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM
WHO DAT NATION

Mein Auto: 2015 M3
Quote:
Listen,M3 you when you get the looks you absolutely know why these people are looking at.You will also get looks from young girls.

the 550i you get more looks from general public and you have no idea why they are looking could be for any reason. I mean it has become a little annoying to tell you the truth.
You will also get looks from females of all ages.

So if you like to get the looks you go 550 for sure. I am not sure how much it will last
but for now its everywhere.

But thats not the reason I drive a bmw. I do it absolutely for myself. I bond with the car the way the rest of enthusiasts do here. And with the 550 I can't. I have to admit
I did bond with the gadgets to a ridiculous point.
Beyond that I thought that the M3 is only for horney kidos right?

Until the dealer one day insisted to take a ride after he heard my remarks about the 550.
I was like..thats allrigh I used to have a 3 series M package, I don't think I should invest
on the same car with a better engine...
He was like do my a favor drive this car....drive it NOW.

So I did..again and again and again...I am still thinking it was a dream.
do I need to continue the story?
Just buy the M3. Your post above implies you don't even like the 550. So why consider it? Sounds like you're pretty concerned about what other people think of your car choice, since you made this post to ask others about the car you want (M3) and the car you don't like (550). I, like most Americans that can afford to make a choice, buy a car that I feel reflects some aspect(s) of my personality and thus I care about what the car says about me.

Your previous reply about MBrown -- "did you see the isolation and steering?" -- could be considered insulting if you'd chosen the right verb. Did you read the post? He's driven the 550 at speeds you will never approach in your M3, and he's fine with it. Why are you here to ask us to help you choose between a car you hate and one you like if you're not even going to read the replies?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Just buy the M3. Your post above implies you don't even like the 550. So why consider it? Sounds like you're pretty concerned about what other people think of your car choice, since you made this post to ask others about the car you want (M3) and the car you don't like (550). I, like most Americans that can afford to make a choice, buy a car that I feel reflects some aspect(s) of my personality and thus I care about what the car says about me.

Your previous reply about MBrown -- "did you see the isolation and steering?" -- could be considered insulting if you'd chosen the right verb. Did you read the post? He's driven the 550 at speeds you will never approach in your M3, and he's fine with it. Why are you here to ask us to help you choose between a car you hate and one you like if you're not even going to read the replies?
I am not sure you read it,
I wrote this post specifically to indicate that I don't care what others think about my choices...
which part is not clear?
I need help deciding.

Now the 550i's handling is not insulting its just the true. It would be insulting if I was saying this is
a really bad thing. I didn't; I asked him if he saw it..HUGE difference.

Now read this clearly:
While yes you can realize I am passionate about the M3, this will come at a price.
The price will be to let my 550i go because none else in the family drives manuals.

But I also like the 550 for the rest of the reasons we all know primarily beauty,
and gadgets high tech etc...
It is just that I can't live without the old feeling of the E90
while at the same time I am torn about which one is the better choice because the 550i introduce me to things

than none other of my cars had (even my old S500)
but like I said, I can't have both at the moment so I asked for help

Last edited by bmw_enthusiasm; 08-22-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
I am not sure you read it,
I wrote this post specifically to indicate that I don't care what others think about my choices...
which part is not clear?
I need help deciding.

Now the 550i's handling is not insulting its just the true. It would be insulting if I was saying this is
a really bad thing. I didn't; I asked him if he saw it..HUGE difference.

Now read this clearly:
While yes you can realize I am passionate about the M3, this will come at a price.
The price will be to let my 550i go because none else in the family drives manuals.

But I also like the 550 for the rest of the reasons we all know primarily beauty,
and gadgets high tech etc...
It is just that I can't live without the old feeling of the E90
while at the same time I am torn about which one is the better choice because the 550i introduce me to things

than none other of my cars had (even my old S500)
but like I said, I can't have both at the moment so I asked for help
i think you should go with the M3. it's obviously the better car in your mind. this has become less a study on the merits of either car than on your psyche though.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 08-22-2011, 07:44 PM

And one more thing,
I find myself posting M3 questions on a 5 series forum because this forum is so active
comparing with the M3 you guys are alive and highly opinionated so this matters to me.
You shouldn't be thinking at any moment that I am insulting your F10 choices because this would
be insult to myself as well being a very conscious 550i owner. But I like criticism and scrutiny
on products.
Can you as a happy F10 owner keep up with the arguments?
or you just want to be blindfolded and don't want to hear anything because you are soooo happy?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
And one more thing,
I find myself posting M3 questions on a 5 series forum because this forum is so active
comparing with the M3 you guys are alive and highly opinionated so this matters to me.
You shouldn't be thinking at any moment that I am insulting your F10 choices because this would
be insult to myself as well being a very conscious 550i owner. But I like criticism and scrutiny
on products.
or you just want to be blindfolded and don't want to hear anything because you are soooo happy?
i am soooo happy and i have read this post about 3,000 times before. cant wait to see you on the highway, 495 + 579 = M3 fail.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 08-22-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
i am soooo happy and i have read this post about 3,000 times before. cant wait to see you on the highway, 495 + 579 = M3 fail.
495+?
can you elaborate?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
495+?
can you elaborate?
http://www.dinancars.com/shop/index....-xDrive#page=1

573 i stand corrected

Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
you mean your din an will take down my M3 on a straight line ?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
I plan to swap out the stock wheels/RFT's with lightweight forged 19's and PSS's on arrival (the boxes in my living room are pissing off my wife royally) to close the gap in handling a bit.
So which model of MORR wheels did you get?

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
you mean your din an will take down my M3 on a straight line ?
100% yes. it's happened before, will happen again. not many cars can fck with me bro

Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
100% yes. it's happened before, will happen again. not many cars can fck with me bro
I am sure it will take it don in a straight line...
I took an M3 the other day down without dinan
Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
But so you know, your days will be over soon cuz

FYI

the only reason i am getting on the M3 is because I am bored till the M5 comes
Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
the engine is a monster. the car is more fighter bomber than fighter. some have had a very hard time adjusting to this new reality, some cant take it because of the "isolation". isolation to some = refinement to others.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
But so you know, your days will be over soon cuz

FYI

the only reason i am getting on the M3 is because I am bored till the M5 comes
oh son, i am on a similar mission. waiting for 1 or 2 MYs for her

Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 PM
WHO DAT NATION

Quote:
And one more thing,
on products.
Lol, you're definitely young. I'm just annoyed that you asked for thoughtful opinions and I bothered to type them only to figure out later that you're trolling. The M3 forums on the net are far more active than this one. Go to m3post, I frequent there.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
the engine is a monster. the car is more fighter bomber than fighter. some have had a very hard time adjusting to this new reality, some cant take it because of the "isolation". isolation to some = refinement to others.
don't get me wrong,
isolation can be good under certain context, and probably good for many more people
but come on now..
don't tell me that the way you 'build' up on the M3 is not making your head spin!

550i is like start trek 'engage; and you disappear on low rpms...

the M3 is kind of a drama queen
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I thought about an AW M3 Coupe when I first started car shopping. It got ruled out fairly quick due to a solid requirement for AWD, but if I had gone that route, I definitely would have considered an ESS Supercharger, then there wouldn't be a need to rev it to 8,000rpms to get the shot out of a cannon feeling.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 PM
WHO DAT NATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
So which model of MORR wheels did you get?
VS8.2, 19", signature black finish (polished face, painted black on the inside). Sitting in boxes in my upstairs foyer right now, awaiting car. 19 lb front, 23 lb rear or so.