Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

View Poll Results: HVAC fan button worn out/peeling what is the solution?
replace the button 42 47.73%
take apart the whole console and replace the entire HVAC face plate 46 52.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseofpang View Post
Do you put on hand lotions or use hand sanitizer alot TJ?
When I'm "meditating" in front of the computer. I do use hand sanitizer yes, but I use it in all three cars, and this car is driven less than the other 2, and only this car (youngest) has fading buttons. (but it also drives the best, so I'll probably continue to drink the BMW Kool-Aid like everyone else and deal with RFT's and software updates, and fill in the blank...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarchitect View Post
In any case, my next BMW is probably a lease as you say. I don't know if any other manufacture does it any different or better these days.
I'm usually not a believer of leasing for personal use, but it may be worth the premium to avoid the out of warranty malarkey.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
If it were me, i would not let anyone take apart the dash for 4 dots on a fan blade logo that's about 3/16" in diameter. I would imagine the chance that the dash does not go back together perfectly (fit/finish wise) would bother me more than those 4 dots on the blades.

My 2 cents

Aceman
My NAV screen somehow became scratched after only having my F10 for a few months. My dealer, who is very customer oriented, agreed to change out the NAV screen under warranty with a brand new NAV screen. I am sure this involved taking the dash apart. My dealer did a fantastic job. You can not tell that the dash was taken apart, everything went back together perfectly, and there are no rattling noises. If my HVAC buttons started to wear out like TJ's, I would not hesitate to request that the dealer make the appropriate repair.

Also, a buddy of mine accepted delivery of his F10 even though BMW used the wrong trim on his M Sport. The dealer (same as my dealer) swapped out the trim and the vehicle looks like nothing was ever taken apart and put back together.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post
My NAV screen somehow became scratched after only having my F10 for a few months. My dealer, who is very customer oriented, agreed to change out the NAV screen under warranty with a brand new NAV screen. I am sure this involved taking the dash apart. My dealer did a fantastic job. You can not tell that the dash was taken apart, everything went back together perfectly, and there are no rattling noises. If my HVAC buttons started to wear out like TJ's, I would not hesitate to request that the dealer make the appropriate repair.

Also, a buddy of mine accepted delivery of his F10 even though BMW used the wrong trim on his M Sport. The dealer (same as my dealer) swapped out the trim and the vehicle looks like nothing was ever taken apart and put back together.
That makes me feel better. I do have to give it up to BMW of Beverly Hills. They have a new state of the art service facility that opened up about a month ago. Dealing with them has been a breeze.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
If I was leasing the car it would be another story, but I own this car, and I have an expectation that in a year a button should not be peeling off or fading. I have a 16 year old lexus and NONE of the buttons have faded or peeled.
Service Person: " Yeah I've seen this a lot. BMW uses a coating that they spray onto the panels and switches. When that plastic coating wears off the paint on top of the buttons is exposed and gets abraded and eventually wears off. A lot of the time lotions or hand sanitizers will chemically react with the coating and cause it to degrade. Other manufacturers inject paint into the buttons so it's not just sitting on the surface. "
BMW has been blaming the creams and sprays for years. My friends cars have suffered the same fate - this is my first BMW. Once you've had a Lexus or an Acura you expect more (or at least the same) in the area of quality control and reliability - how expensive can it be to use a better supplier or fix this notorious flaw?

This is a picture of the Acura shift knob I bought for my RL. When I first saw it I thought the Acura logo would not last because it looked painted on - but I was wrong, after five years of use it looked as day one when I sold the car. The same for all the interior buttons, bits and pieces - flawless.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post

You were lucky. In my experience what you describe is the exception and not the rule but I hope for TJs sake that his experience will be the same as yours. But . . . why replace it if it will be worn out again within a year? I suppose one could get a new one every year until the warranty expires.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Quote:

I'm usually not a believer of leasing for personal use, but it may be worth the premium to avoid the out of warranty malarkey.
I wasn't either, but also use my car for business use. My X5 is out of warranty and it's not something I would look forward to in an increasingly complex vehicle like the F10. The button I replaced in my x5 was under $20 and I did it myself, what's the cost and complexity of changing the module in your car out of warranty? Will there be independant mechanics at reasonable prices to keep up, maybe.

Last edited by bmwarchitect; 08-23-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: added author of quoted text
Old 08-23-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
BMW has been blaming the creams and sprays for years. My friends cars have suffered the same fate - this is my first BMW. Once you've had a Lexus or an Acura you expect more (or at least the same) in the area of quality control and reliability - how expensive can it be to use a better supplier or fix this notorious flaw?
I honestly think they just don't care. Sales are better than they've ever been even in a recession. Luxury buyers are not focused on reliability, so why should the manufacturer? As far as the manufacturer is concerned, the dealerships can back stop the shoddy quality. The dealer gets paid and everyone is happy.

Last edited by TJPark01; 08-23-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
yours. But . . . why replace it if it will be worn out again within a year?
The same reason I make the bed, which I will mess up again tomorrow. I need order, symmetry and precision in my life to make up for the vacant precipice left by my wanton secular existence.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Dark Graphite
I'm really over the top, and believe it or not, avoid getting finger prints on the buttons by wiping my fingers prior to touching the buttons and only touching the buttons on the corners to prevent getting the white print dirty. The other thing I've found to be a must is carrying a microfiber towel to dust the interior dash. Now, I'll be extra careful knowing that the paint is not durable. By the way, my dealer loves it when I decide to trade my cars.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier1 View Post
I'm really over the top, and believe it or not, avoid getting finger prints on the buttons by wiping my fingers prior to touching the buttons and only touching the buttons on the corners to prevent getting the white print dirty. The other thing I've found to be a must is carrying a microfiber towel to dust the interior dash. Now, I'll be extra careful knowing that the paint is not durable. By the way, my dealer loves it when I decide to trade my cars.
Hey,
It is possible to order engraved buttons from china...(seriously) (has to be quantity)
send them the one you have now, and they will make a better
(but you have to remove it from the dash)
this can turn into a profitable opportunity for all of us
in that way you don't have to wipe your fingers either!...
Old 08-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
The same reason I make the bed, which I will mess up again tomorrow. I need order, symmetry and precision in my life to make up for the vacant precipice left by my wanton secular existence.
Now we are making progress on the issue. If you can't buy a car or a watch to fill the void, what's left - women! And they don't take kindly to replacement.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:

This is a picture of the Acura shift knob I bought for my RL. When I first saw it I thought the Acura logo would not last because it looked painted on - but I was wrong, after five years of use it looked as day one when I sold the car. The same for all the interior buttons, bits and pieces - flawless.

+1. For Acura. No issues here either
Old 08-23-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarchitect View Post
Now we are making progress on the issue. If you can't buy a car or a watch to fill the void, what's left - women! And they don't take kindly to replacement.
+1
Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535Stu View Post
+1. For Acura. No issues here either
Has anyone noticed on their wheel worn out BMW roundel on their past bimmers?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:03 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
The button I push the most is probably the small fan button to turn off the HVAC, when I start the car. Guess what, the small fan icon, it peeled off. During lunch I went to BMW of Beverly Hills without an appointment because this seriously pissed me off and it's down the street from me. Do you think they have to:
A - replace the button.
B - take apart the whole console and replace the entire HVAC face plate?
Similar issue to my X3. They had a bad coating batch that wears off. Should be covered by warranty. Mine was - steering wheel plastic had large area of peeling coating. New pieces have been fine.

It is not due to hand cream or greasy fingers!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!

Last edited by madurodave; 08-23-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier1 View Post
I have multiple MF towels in the car. I have a tire gauge,inflator,sealant,Quick detailer in the trunk. The stupid thing is that I'm neurotic enough, that I will probably end up pressing the edge of the button as not to mess up the little fan symbol, but I really shouldn't have to.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I have multiple MF towels in the car. I have a tire gauge,inflator,sealant,Quick detailer in the trunk. The stupid thing is that I'm neurotic enough, that I will probably end up pressing the edge of the button as not to mess up the little fan symbol, but I really shouldn't have to.
Better not use the gas pedal or brake pedal then either. Buttons are for pushing! Let the replacing continue!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
TJ you are well equipped but maybe its time to add a pair of these now:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	500full.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	290251  

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
Similar issue to my X3. They had a bad coating batch that wears off. Should be covered by warranty. Mine was - steering wheel plastic had large area of peeling coating. New pieces have been fine.

It is not due to hand cream or greasy fingers!
Same thing on the E70 X5. Mine never experienced it, but many others did.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Now that's an absolutely brilliant statement! Bravo!

2011 528i Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Dark Wood Trim / Prem Pack / Nav / PDC / USB-iPod
Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
TJ you are well equipped but maybe its time to add a pair of these now:
HA! Those are for Rolls Royce. I wonder if they have $hitty button too?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Quote:
The stupid thing is that I'm neurotic enough, that I will probably end up pressing the edge of the button as not to mess up the little fan symbol
This is precisely where my brain went when I saw this thread. "God damn. I'm going to train myself to not push the button paint, aren't I?"

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 08-24-2011, 03:07 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Being very OCD about the lasting-ability and durability of the smaller details myself, one of the things that swayed me away from BMW is the fact that they're notorious for using plastics and rubbers all throughout the cars (from the steering wheels, to the rubbers around the windshields on some models, etc.) that fade and deteriorate rather quickly.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520D M-Sport
I think I'd probably just draw the middle of the fan back in using a very fine permanent marker pen. It's got to be better than having the service department rip the whole lot out.

I know there's a matter or principle at stake here, but the disruption that having it done properly would cause is out of proportion with the problem.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
As they say in Brooklyn, fuggedaboudit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuggedaboutit_brooklyn_nyc_tshirt-p235812865702740512uh4j_400.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	290285