Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-23-2011, 08:08 PM
On that bombshell.

Mein Auto: 540i
Easy Fix

My first post so take it easy...
I have a
99 528i 160k purchased a few months ago.

I have the o2 bank 2 sensor that restricts the bank 1 sensor to work properly. They give out once a weekend.

occasionally the trans will go into limp mode along with the the eml light and asc lights turn on when that happens... My brilliant fix is to turn the car off and give it about five minutes, then back on the road.. I'm pretty sure that its not the transmission because it drives great when the lights aren't on.

I would love to know if this is a common occurrence for the transmission to go into limp mode if any air or other sensor isn't doing its job properly.

My defense is that when I bought the car it needed a maf and that triggered the fail safe light. So after a new maf the light when off.

Any thoughts guys??
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Need more info...but O2 sensor inputs should not affect the transmission operation. Though if they are impacting engine operation, it may feel like a transmission problem

Can you tell us what the codes are both active and pending that are stored in the Motronic? That would help a lot more than the description of your problem with the O2 sensors, which is kind of vague.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
These cars are (for the most part) pretty well-designed & executed, but there`s a lot of electronic incest going on among the various control sysytems. One example:

The rubber seals in the VANOS unit are normally toast by 20,000 miles, and when they`re not doing their job, the cams will go to full advance prematurely, which can trigger a false alarm to the Cam Position Sensors and O2 sensors, which affects other things further down the chain....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Bob's right, but: if one scans the car with the GT1 or Autologic, it will actually point you in the right direction, meaning you will get a vanos related code. All other scan tools will not do that and then Bob is right.
The problem with GT1 or Autologic, is either the dealer has it or an indy. For which service you have to pay. A GT1 you can buy for a few hundred bux, the Autologic for a few thousands. The other scan tools are in the tens of dollars range. The free scan service in certain US states I believe they use some generic scanners, so they will not detect vanos codes and other specific BMW trouble codes.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
If the O2s haven't been replaced yet, they're overdue for replacement. But it's unrelated to the transmission failsafe and EML. You should track down a GT-1.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 08-24-2011, 10:06 AM
On that bombshell.

@ 540 M-Sport - codes that go on and off are - 1250 , 0173 , 1510, 0101, 1188, 1189 and 1250.

The thing that sets the lights on occasionally is a rough idle or the car jumps while in park and stalls out or if I accelerate fast from being stationary. Also a very rare hesitation when @ 70mph @ 2 1/2 rpm.

The car shifts completely fine when there aren't any lights on.

Im going to probably redo the entire air/ cam sensors and clean the throttle body and the idle control.

I will refuse to believe the transmission is giving out, just thinking about how many other cases there has had to have been before where faulty sensors and other things tricked people into losing sleep at night to have transmission nightmares.

Any ideas of what else to replace or clean??
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
BMW Magician

Mein Auto: e30 M50ish
Replace the CCV and hoses if you haven't already, and clean the throttle body and ISV while your in there. Clear codes, rinse, repeat. (let us know what if anything comes back.)
Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Bob's right, but: if one scans the car with the GT1 or Autologic, it will actually point you in the right direction, meaning you will get a vanos related code. All other scan tools will not do that and then Bob is right.
The problem with GT1 or Autologic, is either the dealer has it or an indy. For which service you have to pay. A GT1 you can buy for a few hundred bux, the Autologic for a few thousands. The other scan tools are in the tens of dollars range. The free scan service in certain US states I believe they use some generic scanners, so they will not detect vanos codes and other specific BMW trouble codes.
Just following up... GT-1/DIS can be had for the cost of a cable and old cheap laptop. It will cost you some time but it will also provide a superb diagnostic/scanning solution for the life of the car and then some. I think Autologic is around $12k + around $1-2k for individual manufacturer licenses, which makes DIS that much of a sweeter deal!

Autologic :drool:

540i - Stock/Sport / 6MT / 13.9@100mph
WS6 - 231/234 / 6MT / 4.10 / 410rwhp
ITR - 262/262 / 5MT / 12.2:1 / 9600rpm

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w
Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Replace fuel filter
Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
I would run a check on your alternator (do a search for the procedure). A faulty alternator is a common cause for the intermittent TRANS PROG FAILSAFE. The turning it off and then turning it back on fix also suggests a non-tranny cause.

BTW, when you post a problem or fix, it is helpful to identify the problem or fix in the title (i.e. Easy Fix for Limp Mode). Easy Fix does not tell enough of the story.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:04 AM
On that bombshell.

thanks guys!

I'm gonna do as much as I can this weekend before the hurricane hits. If all goes well I can have some fun sunday.