Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Replacing e53 X5 instrument cluster with second hand unit

Hi there

I want to replace the instrument cluster on my X5 4.4 with one from an X5 4.6iS. The instrument cluster from the 4.6iS looks better.

After replacing the instrument cluster the ABS/Traction warning lights come on. I removed the errors using GT1 but the warnings return after a few seconds/minutes. When I switch the car off I sometimes get a "Transmission Failure Prog" message.

The second hand cluster was bought in America from a person who was also using it in his X5 4.4 and had stated that it had worked perfrectly on his car.

1. Is the traction control light coming on because the VIN numbers do not match? If so is it possible to program this?

2. Does the cluster need model or variant coding? If so what should the code be and how do I program it?

3. The instrument cluster was originally in a LHD vehicle and I am placing it in a RHD vehicle, does this matter?

Thanks in advance
Ads by Google
Old 01-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Chronic BMW User

Mein Auto: 650i Gran Coupé,E28 M535i
Vin and coding doesn't match. Also - not sure if you'll be able to get the oil pressure gauge working.

If you're using easyDIS v44 for coding, try running through the retrofit/replacement process for the cluster. The system will not overwrite the VIN though. PA-Soft or other tools will correct vin.

Be careful of mileage tamper too - mileage is stored in the EWS and LCM in addition to the IKE. The three have to match with VIN, but it will also overwrite mileage from the highest recorded module to the rest, or give you the tamper dot.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:56 PM

If I use PA-soft to code the VIN, will this remove problems with the abs/traction lights?

Last edited by haydar; 01-30-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:09 PM

When changing the cluster, is it important to follow any specific procedures? For example disconnect the battery.. etc...
Old 03-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to washtechauto
Mein Auto: 2007 e60/2001 e53
I just left my 2001 x5 at the best bmw dealer I've ever been to. My problems were the transmission fail safe mode went on, abs light, brake light, DSC light, speedo dead, tach dead, temp gauge dead. They found the problem immediately and ordered me a new cluster. The x5 has 129k and the total bill is $1100. Great price for all the work and programming involved. They told me you cannot install a used one because once once the cluster is coded for a vehicle it cannot be used and recoded. Just wanted to give some info on the topic.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 AM

Send a message via MSN to washtechauto
Mein Auto: 2007 e60/2001 e53
The dealer was Performance BMW , Chapel Hill NC
Old 08-26-2011, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0
I am putting in a rebuilt MID. Everything works except for the BC (not sure I care about the telephone stuff). Is here a coding/program problem here? What do I need to do to solve this? Wondering if you guys would know...