Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Problems

When can we expect a hitch for the new X3. It is not much of a "utility vehicle" if we cannot get a hitch for it! The unavailability of a hitch should have been disclosed at the time of purchase. My dealer decided to withhold this information when I purchased my x3. I wonder why?

Also, are there any actions scheduled to improve the shifting of the x3's transmission? Mine has trouble finding gears, especially from a stop! This "hunting for gears" is not what is expected from a premium vehicle like a BMW...

Last edited by Jon Moldestad; 08-23-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Clarity
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Jon, there have been a number of early posts about this before. One source mentioned is execuhitch.com which offers both a manual and power hitch for the new X3. Do a search for X3 trailer hitch and you will get more info.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 AM

Thank you...

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply...

Jon
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
Sounds like your transmission is faulty. The one I drove have no problems finding gears.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 AM

I have taken it in twice and they admit there is a problem. Their recommendation: use the "performance mode"!!!! If they don't get it fixed soon I may return it (under the lemon law) and buy a Lexus. Thanks for your input...
Old 08-25-2011, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 128
I test drove one extensively, twice (2.8), and the transmission was pretty off-putting, in many different ways, including what you mentioned, Jon.

I'll either buy something else, or perhaps wait until I can drive a '12 version. Although BMW says no real changes for '12, I suspect there will be some significant software fine-tuning for both the engine and transmission (often the case for second-year models from any manufacturer).

I'm in no particular hurry, so waiting is likely.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 PM

Good luck. The transmission appears to be a serious problem with 2011 X3 BMWs...
Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Moldestad View Post
Good luck. The transmission appears to be a serious problem with 2011 X3 BMWs...
Really? First I have heard of it being so. Maybe you could verify that statement?
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I have driven a loaner 35i for two months and it had no transmission issues. My "for keeps" 35i also doesn't have transmission issues. I think you have a faulty X3.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:41 AM

Good Luck

I cannot speak for all 2011 X3 BMWs but the service department of my dealer confirmed they were having "hunting" problems and suggested I only drive it in performance mode. One other thing, my X3 is a 25 which may be where the problem exists (underpowered). There have also been a number of similar concerns from other reference. In any event, if you are going to purchase an X3, drive it first and thoroughly test the transmission. I would not trust the dealership to tell you the truth.

On the other hand, other than the transmission, some door problems and the voice activation system, the car has run well. It is generally quiet and pleasant to drive. Overall gas mileage is a bit over 20MPG (combined).
Old 08-27-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Moldestad View Post
I cannot speak for all 2011 X3 BMWs but the service department of my dealer confirmed they were having "hunting" problems and suggested I only drive it in performance mode. One other thing, my X3 is a 25 which may be where the problem exists (underpowered). There have also been a number of similar concerns from other reference. In any event, if you are going to purchase an X3, drive it first and thoroughly test the transmission. I would not trust the dealership to tell you the truth.

On the other hand, other than the transmission, some door problems and the voice activation system, the car has run well. It is generally quiet and pleasant to drive. Overall gas mileage is a bit over 20MPG (combined).
I presume you meant to type 35, not 25. By "hunting", do you mean a hesitation when pulling away or is the gearbox hunting for gears when on the move?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivem2 View Post
I presume you meant to type 35, not 25. By "hunting", do you mean a hesitation when pulling away or is the gearbox hunting for gears when on the move?
Being that he said is is "underpowered" I think he meant to type 28i. Haven't heard anyone ever say the 35 is underpowered!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Good point, I was only thinking that it's easier to mis-type 25 for 35 than it is for 28. For sure a 35 shouldn't feel underpowered.....