Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 08-27-2011, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: e28 1987 535i M Spec
1987 535i Options ????????

I just recently acquired a 1987 E28 BMW 535i for a bargain and am interested in what were the options available for this model........ Just to give you a bit of help here OK...... I live in AUSTRALIA so it would definately be different to the US & EUROPEAN versions and it seems to be a bit of everything........... I have sussed out the BMW REGISTRY site and got some details as to the M5 & M535i models and yet the VIN does not match any of those listed...... It has A/C, Power Windows, Mirrors & locks, 4 speed auto with the S E 123 switch below the shifter and the engine is different to those I have seen in pictures...... The Speedo shows 260Km/h.

The overall condition of the car interior (cream leather) is excellent and the paint (bronzitbeige metallic) lacks a good cut and polish.

where is the usual ID plate that shows options used as in the FORDS in the engine bay.....

Help is greatly needed and I will venture to get a few snaps and post them......

Thanks for your time folks,

Stephen
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
If you put your vin number into realoem.com it will let you know what came with your car. (I been told but never done.)

with the 535i at least in the U.S.

you have a m30b34 engine
3.25 diff (might be limited slip)
I do not know if the Aust. cars had heated mirrors, Ds door handle, and hood sprayers.
The OBC should let you know when it is 36 degrees.
You can lock the doors from the trunk
Euro cars could roll up the windows with the DS door open and not on.
Sunroof
AC
You can put in rear head rests
You can add bigger brakes from either a e32 or a 540 e34.
You can change the diff from a e30 6 (not the 4, which has a different mounting)
You can put a rear sunshade in from a e32 or some euro e28s had them.
I do not know if you have the rear fog lights. If not you can add a second tail light to give it better lights in the rear.
You can get rid of the slush box and put in a good manual gear box.
You can chip your 059 ecu.

Those are a few of the things.

Andy
Old 08-27-2011, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: e28 1987 535i M Spec
Thanks for the reply from ANDY

with the 535i at least in the U.S. ................................ MY AUSSIE KRAUT

you have a m30b34 engine............... I'll take your word for that (Been told it's a Mspec)
3.25 diff (might be limited slip)........... I'm sure it's got this
I do not know if the Aust. cars had heated mirrors, Ds door handle, and hood sprayers....
?????? heated mirrors.... NO..... Ds door handle ????????? hood sprayers (you must mean windscreen washers)..... YES
The OBC should let you know when it is 36 degrees......... No OBC as far as I can see!?!?!
You can lock the doors from the trunk................ YES
Euro cars could roll up the windows with the DS door open and not on. ....... Hmmmm
Sunroof................... Unfortunately NO!!!!! damn I'm pissed on this ITEM
AC......................... YES.............. needs a regas
You can put in rear head rests............... NONE FITTED BUT WANTED
You can add bigger brakes from either a e32 or a 540 e34.......... All I know is they stop the car GOOD
You can change the diff from a e30 6 (not the 4, which has a different mounting)... Fair enough
You can put a rear sunshade in from a e32 or some euro e28s had them. ... OK.. prefer a louvre if possible
I do not know if you have the rear fog lights. If not you can add a second tail light to give it better lights in the rear.......... Apparently the switch is there but unsure if works
You can get rid of the slush box and put in a good manual gear box..... A friend suggested that already
You can chip your 059 ecu...........OK, but unsure if I should

As far as I have been told by a friend who works on EURO CARS, my 535i is just a 535i with the MSpec engine & transmission

Best I can do for now until I get the car on a hoist and see if the underside reveals a few other secrets...............

Thanks Kindly

Stephen