Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
for 6MT owners

For those of you who don't have the M package, but maybe have the sports or non-sports at all;

I just wanted to share the satisfaction I am getting from changing the 6MT aluminum gear shift knob on my sports package with an M - sports knob.
This knob is a must have for all of us 6MT'ers

It is highly recommended to change this knob if you have the metal one. The M knob shifts so intuitively.

The difference is in weight and balance. The M knob feels 3-4 times heavier and COMPLETELY vibration free. When you shift, the center of mass appears to hit the 'magic' spot...

Apart from this, the hood that it comes with is not the dakota leather that comes with the stock, but Napa black soft leather.
This can match if you have napa leather or if you don't its still awesome.

Installation took me 27 seconds. (completely "plug and play")

For me, it was virtually impossible to find the exact part on 3 different dealers but I did
and then it had to be special ordered from Germany ($300ish) took 2 weeks but its worth every single penny.

When it arrived, they called me and they were gathered around me
I asked them whats up? and they were like...aren't you going to open the box?
we are all so eager to see it!

Anyway, I went through a lot to find this part No so here you go enthusiasts!

Part #: 25112284056

when you order if they ask you for a VIN # pretend you have these last 4 digits: C271293

(thats from a regular 550i M package)

2 out of 3 dealerships said that it is not possible to order it because its too new
but the third did it, so don't get frustrated on the first attempt.

Last edited by bmw_enthusiasm; 08-25-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
It's amazing how little things like this can make such a big difference. But they do.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-25-2011, 04:14 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It's amazing how little things like this can make such a big difference. But they do.
The M knob feels so much better than stock... It's shorter too and weighted. The leather feels great too.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
yup...
if you ask me to close my eyes and think about all the cars that I had
the stronger brain signal I would generate for each would be about their knob's modality

steering, connection with the road, seats that wrap up nice and tight will follow.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5
Believe it or not, one of the best (smoothest, easiest to shift) transmissions I ever had was in a 1985 Peugeot 505 Turbo. The shape and location of the lever were perfect. If I dropped my hand from the steering wheel, palm down, in the right direction, it was the perfect 1-2 shift. And that shift knob was hard plastic.

Previously...
'11 F10 550i M Sport (ED Aug 1, 2011; US deliv, Sep 12, 2011)
'08 E90 M3
'07 E92 335i: ordered Nov '06; delivered Jan '07, totaled Sep '08.
'02 E39 M5: June 2002 - June 2007
'00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i + VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Old 08-25-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
Believe it or not, one of the best (smoothest, easiest to shift) transmissions I ever had was in a 1985 Peugeot 505 Turbo. The shape and location of the lever were perfect. If I dropped my hand from the steering wheel, palm down, in the right direction, it was the perfect 1-2 shift. And that shift knob was hard plastic.
I believe it, the location is very important. I ws worried on the F10 that it will be too high
but no its very good. a little higher thant the 3 but its still intuitive.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
@bmw enthusiasm
Is this knob different from the one that comes with the M Sport package? If the same, is it really $300 USD and worth it? If different, can you post a picture or a link to one?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
@bmw enthusiasm
Is this knob different from the one that comes with the M Sport package? If the same, is it really $300 USD and worth it? If different, can you post a picture or a link to one?
It is identical with the M sports package on the F10 6MT it is not an accessory its the actual part
if you already have it and think its just a knob
you need to see what the regular sports package or non-sports comes with

I can post picture within the upcoming weekend.

Regarding the $300 I suppose this is one of the extras you get when you pay the extra $1000 for the M sports package vs regular sports package

So with $ 1000 extra on the M sports package 6MT, you get this, the F-16 like front bumber.
(and the two piece different colored rear bumber)....sounds like a deal to me?..:thumb up:

Note that the M3 knob that is similar also about $360

Last edited by bmw_enthusiasm; 08-25-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
Best shifter I ever used was in my 1991 300ZX. I believe the shifter worked through rods, not cables, and was very close to hand from the steering wheel, and very close to the transmission. As a result, the shift action was literally like the bolt on a fine rifle. Heavy, direct and just perfectly notchy.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-25-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Best shifter I ever used was in my 1991 300ZX. I believe the shifter worked through rods, not cables, and was very close to hand from the steering wheel, and very close to the transmission. As a result, the shift action was literally like the bolt on a fine rifle. Heavy, direct and just perfectly notchy.

thats the feeling I got from the M3...seems like its really close to the transmission but i don't know how true this maybe.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
+1

I loved that shifter too - I had a 1990 300ZX - but I like the one in my 550 just as much, it's a touch different but aaahhhhh so satisfying
Old 08-28-2011, 11:16 AM

There you go here is a pic:

Note I am now selling this since I will be stepping out of this car soon
its two weeks old and I offer it for 2/3 of the price
Feel free to contact me if you are interested or have an offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post
For those of you who don't have the M package, but maybe have the sports or non-sports at all;

I just wanted to share the satisfaction I am getting from changing the 6MT aluminum gear shift knob on my sports package with an M - sports knob.
This knob is a must have for all of us 6MT'ers

It is highly recommended to change this knob if you have the metal one. The M knob shifts so intuitively.

The difference is in weight and balance. The M knob feels 3-4 times heavier and COMPLETELY vibration free. When you shift, the center of mass appears to hit the 'magic' spot...

Apart from this, the hood that it comes with is not the dakota leather that comes with the stock, but Napa black soft leather.
This can match if you have napa leather or if you don't its still awesome.

Installation took me 27 seconds. (completely "plug and play")

For me, it was virtually impossible to find the exact part on 3 different dealers but I did
and then it had to be special ordered from Germany ($300ish) took 2 weeks but its worth every single penny.

When it arrived, they called me and they were gathered around me
I asked them whats up? and they were like...aren't you going to open the box?
we are all so eager to see it!

Anyway, I went through a lot to find this part No so here you go enthusiasts!

Part #: 25112284056

when you order if they ask you for a VIN # pretend you have these last 4 digits: C271293

(thats from a regular 550i M package)

2 out of 3 dealerships said that it is not possible to order it because its too new
but the third did it, so don't get frustrated on the first attempt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F10_M_knob.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	290756  

Last edited by bmw_enthusiasm; 08-28-2011 at 11:18 AM.