Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 535xdrive
Climate Control - Automatically on every time?

Is there a way to not have the climate control NOT come on automatically everytime the car starts? (Caveat: I know that if I, for example, shut off the A/C before I get out of the car, it won't come on automatically when I restart it). I would like to get in the car and have the option to turn on the A/C, etc. without it coming on automatically.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Ads by Google
Old 08-28-2011, 06:25 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazari99 View Post
Is there a way to not have the climate control NOT come on automatically everytime the car starts? (Caveat: I know that if I, for example, shut off the A/C before I get out of the car, it won't come on automatically when I restart it). I would like to get in the car and have the option to turn on the A/C, etc. without it coming on automatically.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Can't remember for sure, but the key profile remembers your climate settings. If you turn off the A/C, then re-store your memory setting, this might remember the "off" setting when you restart. I believe it's coming on because that's how the system was set when you originally stored your memory settings.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I believe this can only be programmed by the dealer.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 08-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
No. Many posts on this. It always comes on.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535XI M-Sport
yea... they have some funny things on the F10. that AC thing and double press start/stop button for engine off.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:51 PM

Most cars with automatic climate control will start with air condition on. It helps with condensation. Most will also automatically turn ac off when outside temp drops below 32F. I'll experiment a bit with Mark's suggestion to see if you can force it off.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
Yes, many recent BMWs do this even the keyfob memorisation.

The interesting thing is (at least on the E70), if you turn the climate system off and come back within a short time, it will stay off. But come back say, 6 hours later, it starts off at the lowest fan speed in manual.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:05 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulunderdog View Post
Most cars with automatic climate control will start with air condition on. It helps with condensation. Most will also automatically turn ac off when outside temp drops below 32F. I'll experiment a bit with Mark's suggestion to see if you can force it off.
BTW, the AC light will always be on in Auto mode even below 32, even if the compressor is not engaging.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
Same with my F10. If you come back say within a couple of hrs. or so (still not sure exactly how long), it stays off. Anything longer, in my experience, it reverts back to coming on. It does not matter if I reset the key fob memory. I have tried it several times, without any luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The interesting thing is (at least on the E70), if you turn the climate system off and come back within a short time, it will stay off. But come back say, 6 hours later, it starts off at the lowest fan speed in manual.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 535xdrive
Thanks to all. The experience of not being able to keep it off permanently is what I'm experiencing. It seems to have nothing to do with the profile/key settings whatsoever.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
I recommend embracing a serene experience of transportation luxury at 68F.

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter