Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-06-2008, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 97 528i black
Thank you ebony dude

i was working on my car today with the negative battery cable disconnected. the trunk i recently changed because mine had some rust so the key cylinder is different. the trunk closed and i couldnt open it ANY WAY. THANK YOU EBONY...I hooked up an old battery to the foglights and opened it with the key. THANK YOU VERY MUCH...u saved me ALOT of time in -5 celcius snowy weather.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
If you can't just inset the key and turn 90 degrees to the left to open the lock manually, if is because it is full of grit and grime from disuse. I lube and exercise my manual locking mechanism each time I do an oil change, so that I am sure it will work when needed.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:29 PM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
Mark, are you all right?
Old 12-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
the original post was from 2006, so I am fine now Bill Hope you are staying warm!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by moediab View Post
i was working on my car today with the negative battery cable disconnected. the trunk i recently changed because mine had some rust so the key cylinder is different. the trunk closed and i couldnt open it ANY WAY. THANK YOU EBONY...I hooked up an old battery to the foglights and opened it with the key. THANK YOU VERY MUCH...u saved me ALOT of time in -5 celcius snowy weather.
First, I must agree with whom ever said it first...ebonyleg is on CRACK y'all!! I haven't seen that much mis-information in a loooong time! Not that some of his tips wouldn't work...its just that there are so many easier ways to get it accomplished. And some of the stuff that he wrote was just FLAT OUT WRONG. BMW didn't make some e39s that can use the emergency unlock procedure and some that don't...com'on people...that doesn't even sound like it's coming from someone with a sound mind (again, perhaps crack...or some type of hallucinogenic medication). And what about all these "hidden" electrical connections under the plastic panels below the doors etc...GEEZ!!!!

For instance...moediab, instead of crawling around on the ground, removing the plastic grid so that you could remove the fog light to access its wiring...you could have followed the tip given on the first page to just use the emergency jump locations under the hood. All you needed to do was:
  1. open the driver's door (if it was locked...just stick the key in the lock cylinder and turn to the extreme left to open it manually)
  2. reach down and open the hood
  3. connect battery to emergency jump location
  4. push button on key to open trunk

Now com'on...you know that sounds a lot easier than disassembling all that crap ebonyleg had you doing...especially in the cold. There ain't no way I'm gettin' down on the ground, in the cold, if I don't have to!! All the instructions listed above can be performed STANDING UP with gloves on and your coat still zipped or buttoned up...you wouldn't even loose your hat bending over and crawling around on the ground!

And if anyone can't get there trunk or driver's door open using the key manually...then the problem 99% of the time is operator error! You are either turning the key in the wrong direction (to the right which LOCKS the drivers door...and does nothing for the trunk...which is why the one guy probably broke his key...he even admitted that he turned it to the right!)...or you're not turning the key far enough to the left (counter clockwise) past the detent.

If anyone wants to make something very simple...more difficult and convoluted...then go right ahead...follow ebonylegs instructions if you car battery dies and the doors and trunk are locked.

If you only have ONE key...then I do suggest that you ALWAYS keep your trunk lock cylinder in the vertical ( | ) position. If you turn it horizontal and leave it there...then you've left the trunk in the secured position...which means the only way to open the trunk is WITH THE MASTER KEY. And if you've locked the only key you have in the trunk...YOU"RE SCREWED!

And again, even if your car battery is dead, or removed...you can supply enough power to the car to get things open by connecting a battery, another car, or even a battery charger to the emergency jump locations under the hood....and for those with inline 6 engines that seem to NOT know where these jump locations are located...see the page below from the owners manual:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 12-06-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i
I think the ebony may be correct. In my '03 540i my battery was dying fast when I was at work (3 times in a day). I left my cabin doors unlocked and hood popped but down (the little latch thingie was open just in case) but towards the end of the day when I went to check on my car for a final time to see if the charge was holding, it was completely dead and I could not open the trunk which is where my jumper cables are!

I had access to the inside of my car as well as to under my hood, but as much as I twisted and turned the key in the trunk lock, I could not get the damn thing open and ended borrowing someone's jumper cables.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:39 PM

I highly recommend that if your trunk lock will NOT turn counter-clockwise (to the left) past the detent...before you get locked out of the trunk...find your trusty spray can of WD40, lithium, silicone, or graphite spray and lubricate your lock cylinder. Your lock was engineered to unlock the trunk or door when there is an electrical failure.

If your lock is NOT working properly or sporadically, then take preventative maintenance measures just as you would any other area of your car...to ensure that they are working properly.
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)

Old 12-07-2008, 06:46 AM
Past Sponsor

I think a lot of us want to turn the key to the right by instinct, I know that my problem was easily remedied by turning the key left.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 AM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EACTuning View Post
the original post was from 2006, so I am fine now Bill Hope you are staying warm!
Hah You got me! I knew this was either not the Mark that I know today or you have fallen very ill and may need to be hospitalized. I'll get the guy who resurrected this thread!

How is the job search coming? I have just about resigned (?) myself to not getting too serious about the search until after the holidays. My last search was around this time of the year as well during MUCH better general economic times and it was about the end of January early February before the employers who were on the fence started searching in earnest. Merry Christmas my friend. Here's hoping for a better 2009. Obama has terrifically impresses me thus far. The guy seems to be everywhere and into 10 things at once. Let's hope he brings a job for your tree Mark and maybe a Beemer mod or two.

Bill
Old 12-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Past Sponsor

haha thanks Bill. Times are tough around here regarding jobs. You really have to put yourself out there to make a buck these days. In the past months nearly 500 thousand people in the country have found themselves without jobs. Check this out: http://www.yahoo.com/s/998316

If you read the e39nation board more you'd know I'm up to 3 hats these days. cough cough I'm now working with EAC Tuning as my user name and signature would suggest, I'm operating a snow plow truck on call locally, and of course working to make LCB have a great year in 2009. I'll make it one way or another.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Dead battery lockout 528i 1999

Thanks for the info.i called aaa the locksmith did not open the car.he told me to call bmw.so i looked on this web site and i found what i needed. I open my car by turning the key hard left.wala it open.thank
Old 10-06-2009, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 540I
Smile

Hi there Guys. so I just had this problem on my 98 540I tonight . Dead battery, key wouldn't open doors or trunk. The trunk lock would turn past the friction point to the right but lid wouldnt open. Everything I tried with the key didn't work. Was frustrated at this point so I came here for advise. Ebony leg mentioned to pull the fog light or the horn wires and connect 12v. I did it to my fog light with a battery charger on low power and it worked like a charm. Took me all of 15 minutes. With that, the car was still armed so I disarmed it and presto. I understand some of the complaints but in some sinarios, this is the way when nothing else did. Thank you all for your ideas and opinions. It was very helpful.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
I'm pretty sure that turning it to the right engages the valet locků.turn it counterclockwise.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum1
Hi there Guys. so I just had this problem on my 98 540I tonight . Dead battery, key wouldn't open doors or trunk. The trunk lock would turn past the friction point to the right but lid wouldnt open. Everything I tried with the key didn't work. Was frustrated at this point so I came here for advise. Ebony leg mentioned to pull the fog light or the horn wires and connect 12v. I did it to my fog light with a battery charger on low power and it worked like a charm. Took me all of 15 minutes. With that, the car was still armed so I disarmed it and presto. I understand some of the complaints but in some sinarios, this is the way when nothing else did. Thank you all for your ideas and opinions. It was very helpful.
Just think...if you had inserted the key into the door or trunk lock cylinder and TURNED COUNTERCLOCKWISE (to the left)...you could have popped the hood (if you opened the door) and hooked your charger to the jump start locations...or you could have opened the trunk...it would have taken all of 15 seconds instead of 15 minutes.

I didn't go back to the first page...but I'm not sure how you came up with turning the key to the RIGHT? If nothing else...if you scroll up to POST #30...the pages from the owners manual is posted that shows how to open the door & trunk manually.
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 10-07-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:09 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw E39 525I
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
The jump start location for the I6 & V8 are in the owners manual:

I6
V8
By connecting the jump start point, you will have power back in car, by doing so you will be able to open the trunk replace the battery and lock your car.

thats the easiest way to me!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: E30, Es300, benz-sold
bump but i rather bump a old thread then start a new one.....

my cars dead and i cant get in......turning the key in the lock does nothing......

read the valet key will unlock it?

also ebony said the wires for the horn are in the front drivers wheel....i upgraded my alarm and i remember it being on the passenger's rear
Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexbenz View Post
my cars dead and i cant get in......turning the key in the lock does nothing.....
Time and time and time again this problem comes up:
- How to open the trunk manually when you have a dead 12v car battery (1) (2)

99.99% of the time, the user didn't turn the key to the left enough.

Turn it as far to the left as it will go.

The key has to end up being horizontal.

Keep turning. Even after you 'think' you shouldn't turn, keep turning.

Is your key horizontal yet? If not, keep turning.

After the first time ... it gets a lot easier (ask me how I know as I had a dead trunk for about a year with no way to open it electrically or even from the handle because of a frayed trunk loom).
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: E30, Es300, benz-sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Time and time and time again this problem comes up:

99.99% of the time, the user didn't turn the key to the left enough.

Turn it as far to the left as it will go.

The key has to end up being horizontal.

Keep turning. Even after you 'think' you shouldn't turn, keep turning.

Is your key horizontal yet? If not, keep turning.

After the first time ... it gets a lot easier (ask me how I know as I had a dead trunk for about a year with no way to open it electrically or even from the handle because of a frayed trunk loom).
ok i tried both master keys i have and nothing, tried my valet key and it opened....randon if you ask me that the valet key worked and not the other ones
Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Sorry folks, but EbonyLeg is more knowledgeable than some of the rest of you: on some models, the key won't open anything when the battery is dead. Our 2000 528i wagon only takes a key in the driver's door, and it won't do anything when the battery is dead. No magical turn to the left, no hidden key point in the hatch, no magic with the valet key. We went through this, listened to endless snotty, condescending suggestions from the dealer's mechanics: "Why don't you use the key, use the valet key, turn it all the way to the left, why don't you use the hatch release, etc., etc., etc." AAA towed it to the dealer, and the dealer couldn't open it: it was really very funny and satisfying. They broke out the front grill to get to the hood release, and get power to the starting points. Well, it would have been funny except that it seemed like poor engineering and not very expert mechanic's work, and it cost some money. It happened again, and I popped the hood. If it happens again, I'll try the horn method.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSF View Post
Sorry folks, but EbonyLeg is more knowledgeable than some of the rest of you: on some models, the key won't open anything when the battery is dead. Our 2000 528i wagon only takes a key in the driver's door, and it won't do anything when the battery is dead. No magical turn to the left, no hidden key point in the hatch, no magic with the valet key. We went through this, listened to endless snotty, condescending suggestions from the dealer's mechanics: "Why don't you use the key, use the valet key, turn it all the way to the left, why don't you use the hatch release, etc., etc., etc." AAA towed it to the dealer, and the dealer couldn't open it: it was really very funny and satisfying. They broke out the front grill to get to the hood release, and get power to the starting points. Well, it would have been funny except that it seemed like poor engineering and not very expert mechanic's work, and it cost some money. It happened again, and I popped the hood. If it happens again, I'll try the horn method.
If one is desperate (Assuming one has used QSilver7's instructions and it does not work), then use this trick below. I bet you money the dealer does not this trick!

This is a little known secret, on the driver's side chassis, if you crawl from underneath looking upward, there is a Positive Post that feeds the Starter Motor.

1. Stand outside looking at LEFT FRONT Tire, look at the rear part of the tire, follow this inward about 12" or so, you will see the Positive Post feeding the Starter Motor.
Laying on your back and reach your hand in and you will see it (a large makeup $5 mirror will be very useful).

Using appropriate alligator clips wire:
- One clip goes to this Positive Post.
- Another Clip goes to Transmission Housing or any ground
(Just make sure you don't short the wires).
- Then connect both wires to a donor car's battery (any car with 12V battery).

Now you can use your key remote to open the door, voila!

2. Now if you cannot reach the positive post due to low ground clearance:
- Jack the front driver's side up and
- Place a jackstand under the subframe. This is very important if you don't want to be crushed!
- Then do the jumping of (+) and (-) terminals as mentioned previously.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSF View Post
They broke out the front grill to get to the hood release, and get power to the starting points. Well, it would have been funny except that it seemed like poor engineering and not very expert mechanic's work, and it cost some money. It happened again, and I popped the hood.
Seems to me you had two issues. A dead battery AND a broken hood release cable as typically, one can pop the hood to jump start the car/battery through the charge posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
If one is desperate (Assuming one has used QSilver7's instructions and it does not work), then use this trick below. I bet you money the dealer does not this trick!

This is a little known secret, on the driver's side chassis, if you crawl from underneath looking upward, there is a Positive Post that feeds the Starter Motor.

1. Stand outside looking at LEFT FRONT Tire, look at the rear part of the tire, follow this inward about 12" or so, you will see the Positive Post feeding the Starter Motor.
Laying on your back and reach your hand in and you will see it (a large makeup $5 mirror will be very useful).

Using appropriate alligator clips wire:
- One clip goes to this Positive Post.
- Another Clip goes to Transmission Housing or any ground
(Just make sure you don't short the wires).
- Then connect both wires to a donor car's battery (any car with 12V battery).

Now you can use your key remote to open the door, voila!

2. Now if you cannot reach the positive post due to low ground clearance:
- Jack the front driver's side up and
- Place a jackstand under the subframe. This is very important if you don't want to be crushed!
- Then do the jumping of (+) and (-) terminals as mentioned previously.
Why would anyone want to crawl under a car when charging/jumping can be accomplished from under the hood? I'm assuming you are recommending this method IF the hood cannot be opened AND the battery is dead?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
If one is desperate
So much good stuff here ... it must be enshrined in the bestlinks:
Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
1. Seems to me you had two issues. A dead battery AND a broken hood release cable as typically, one can pop the hood to jump start the car/battery through the charge posts.
Quote:
2. Why would anyone want to crawl under a car when charging/jumping can be accomplished from under the hood? I'm assuming you are recommending this method IF the hood cannot be opened AND the battery is dead?

dvsgene,

This issue has been discussed many time here.

Re #1: if one cannot get in the car (I know it sounds funny because one should be able to open the car manually right? Wrong, in some cases, people cannot open the door manually), then one cannot open the hood.

Re #2: if one cannot open the hood, how can one charge/jump the battery?

I have helped a few folks with this trick and it works. In fact it is very very very easy.
With a cardboard on the floor, lay looking upward, the red post is right there within one's reach, even without jacking the car up.
If one knows what one is doing, this little trick can be done in about 3-4 min.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
dvsgene,

Re #1: if one cannot get in the car (I know it sounds funny because one should be able to open the car manually right? Wrong, in some cases, people cannot open the door manually), then one cannot open the hood.
Ok, good to know. I've never had any issues with opening a door or a trunk with the battery disconnected. Must be something else going on. Like a bad key or something.

Can't understand because all my keys open the door manually with battery connected or disconnected.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 PM

Here is an example that it (jumping the positive post feeding the starter motor as mentioned above) worked.

Read posts #16 and #25 by "evertoconquer":

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1580480

And in post #40 "evertoconquer" said lubing the lock worked too!
So people with seized lock, this happens because over the course of 10 years, if you only use the key remote, the lock cylinder does not get to do the "daily work out", so it seized.
Lube with Liquid Graphite and it should help.

Last edited by cn90; 08-29-2011 at 09:45 PM.