Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBigMan View Post
As you might be aware I was looking at the 535i, the A63.0T and the E350 and had finally settled on the Audi to replace my Cayenne which the wife would then receive. Anyway things changed with the dealer buying back the Porsche at a price too good to turn down so my plans to wait for the 3.0TFSI model with my spec are now up in the air and I'm currently searching for an alternative as slumming it in a Caddy van on loan from my brother is don't nothing for my street cred . The dealer has been good enough to offer me their new demo 3.0TDI model which arrived this week in a rather striking metallic blue which I test drove yesterday and was actually blown away by both the turn of speed and the refinement of this engine, no longer are diesels the poor cousin of the petrol. Not only that but the spec of this car isn't to far away from what I have originally chosen with the possible exception of Bose and full google satnav, two things which I can quite easily live without.

Whilst there I saw an identical customer's car just about to be collected with different 19" rims (looked like S5 wheels) which suited the car better in my opinion. If they can't get me a petrol version in roughly my spec then I might just go for this diesel demo with the small proviso that they getting those other rims.
I LOVE that TDI - I wish they sold it here in the US. The supercharged car might be slightly faster but the fuel economy and torque would sell it to me in a hurry.

BMW CCA Member
Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
I LOVE that TDI - I wish they sold it here in the US. The supercharged car might be slightly faster but the fuel economy and torque would sell it to me in a hurry.
The same is true for the diesels built by both BMW and Mercedes, in fact the 35/40d from BMW are even more impressive.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: S4
Bob forget both of those cars. The details of the S6, S7 and S8 have just been released. The S6 will do 0-60 in 4.8 with 420hp while the S8 with the same engine is tuned to 520hp and will make the S8 do it in 4.2sec. So imagine tweaking the tune in the S6 to do the same as the S8 and your guess is good as mine what the S6 will do the 0-60 in. Both are basically the same engines with just different tune(guessing). It will also have variable damping with height adjustable suspension and option for ceramic brakes. I think it will be positioned between the 550i and M5 in performance and the RS6 is going to be the M5 competitor if Audi decides to do an RS6.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
550 vs. Panamera

<>

Ummm...you should have bought the Porsche, no?

Last edited by Runon MD1; 08-30-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
<>

bingo nailed it right on the head.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Just saw a White Panamera 4S with the chrome trim around the greenhouse (a must on the Panny IMO), and the larger, leaner 5-Spoke wheels, and it looked pretty stunning. The KEY is to see it in the dark, when you don't see all those jarring and awkward shutlines around the rear area, and the proportions look more spot on somehow. Needless to say, I'm back "on" with the Panamera, however, all it takes is for me to see one on the road and go "ew" again, to go "off" to it, but I'll savor the moment.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobrandfanboy View Post
Bob forget both of those cars. The details of the S6, S7 and S8 have just been released. The S6 will do 0-60 in 4.8 with 420hp while the S8 with the same engine is tuned to 520hp and will make the S8 do it in 4.2sec. So imagine tweaking the tune in the S6 to do the same as the S8 and your guess is good as mine what the S6 will do the 0-60 in. Both are basically the same engines with just different tune(guessing). It will also have variable damping with height adjustable suspension and option for ceramic brakes. I think it will be positioned between the 550i and M5 in performance and the RS6 is going to be the M5 competitor if Audi decides to do an RS6.
Not wanting to derail this thread but are you quite sure about them being basically the same engine bar the level of tune?

I was under the impression based on what has been said in the press and on other sites that the S6/7 would use a single turbo and the S8 would get twin turbos. Is that wrong?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Not wanting to derail this thread but are you quite sure about them being basically the same engine bar the level of tune?

I was under the impression based on what has been said in the press and on other sites that the S6/7 would use a single turbo and the S8 would get twin turbos. Is that wrong?
Yes it is wrong - just two different hp versions of the same engine. I suspect that that S8 engine will have approximately the same output as the engine in the Bentley Continental.

BMW CCA Member
Old 08-31-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
Yes it is wrong - just two different hp versions of the same engine. I suspect that that S8 engine will have approximately the same output as the engine in the Bentley Continental.
So all that early suggestions that it was to get a single turbo was just smoke and mirrors BS to keep everyone guessing. Well then that makes the whole 100hp difference between the models all the less believable in my opinion, I would bet you that the lesser of the two figures is very conservative.

Last edited by BobBigMan; 08-31-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
So all that early suggestions that it was to get a single turbo was just smoke and mirrors BS to keep everyone guessing. Well then that makes the whole 100hp difference between the models all the less believable in my opinion, I would bet you that the lesser of the two figures is very conservative.
The main question I think so far in some of the forums is that the S6/S7 will get the DSG transmission while the S8 will get the traditional automatic so people are wondering if one of the reasons maybe that the DSG may not be able to take the extra hp and torque.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Just saw a White Panamera 4S with the chrome trim around the greenhouse (a must on the Panny IMO), and the larger, leaner 5-Spoke wheels, and it looked pretty stunning. The KEY is to see it in the dark, when you don't see all those jarring and awkward shutlines around the rear area, and the proportions look more spot on somehow. Needless to say, I'm back "on" with the Panamera, however, all it takes is for me to see one on the road and go "ew" again, to go "off" to it, but I'll savor the moment.
Actually I like the Panamera in certain colors. Some colors make it look bad and others make it decent.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
As you might be aware I was looking at the 535i, the A63.0T and the E350 and had finally settled on the Audi to replace my Cayenne which the wife would then receive. Anyway things changed with the dealer buying back the Porsche at a price too good to turn down so my plans to wait for the 3.0TFSI model with my spec are now up in the air and I'm currently searching for an alternative as slumming it in a Caddy van on loan from my brother is don't nothing for my street cred . The dealer has been good enough to offer me their new demo 3.0TDI model which arrived this week in a rather striking metallic blue which I test drove yesterday and was actually blown away by both the turn of speed and the refinement of this engine, no longer are diesels the poor cousin of the petrol. Not only that but the spec of this car isn't to far away from what I have originally chosen with the possible exception of Bose and full google satnav, two things which I can quite easily live without.

Whilst there I saw an identical customer's car just about to be collected with different 19" rims (looked like S5 wheels) which suited the car better in my opinion. If they can't get me a petrol version in roughly my spec then I might just go for this diesel demo with the small proviso that they getting those other rims.
hey bob, dont wanna dissuade you; but your spending a lot of money on this car; get what you want. your anxious to get a new car (and driving in your brothers caddy is not helping i'm sure ) but you will regret not getting what you want once the initial excitement wears down. and honestly i cant imagine getting a car of that caliber without nav, just IMO, either way good luck

Last edited by omaralt; 08-31-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
hey bob, dont wanna dissuade you; but your spending a lot of money on this car; get what you want. your anxious to get a new car (and driving in your brothers caddy is not helping i'm sure ) but you will regret not getting what you want. and honestly i cant imagine getting a car of that caliber without nav, just IMO, either way good luck
The car still comes with Satnav, just not the google Satnav that is an upgrade with wifi connectivity that I was willing to pay for. Not having it or Bose isn't that big of a deal to me because after hearing the standard stereo now I actually preferred it's sound and I still have a Satnav as standard.

Over here the A6 is extremely well equipped compared to the 5 series so it might be easier getting a similar specced car off Audi's UK car pool then I would if it were a 5 series I was looking. Though so far only two cars have shown up and on ringing they have both been spoken for so maybe that diesel demo and me might be getting to know each other soon. The only thing I will have to pay extra for is the wear on the tyres if the other rims come in complete with tyres which they reckon will be about 3 weeks time if I go for their demo.

Will make my decision next week as I don't want to be waiting much longer without a decent car in the driveway.

Last edited by BobBigMan; 08-31-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:

Not necessarily.

Look at the new Merc TT V8. Has, what, three versions of power depending on the car that it's installed in? Essentially the same engine, but there IS a big difference.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Not necessarily.

Look at the new Merc TT V8. Has, what, three versions of power depending on the car that it's installed in? Essentially the same engine, but there IS a big difference.
Aren't the AMG verions a bit larger by displacement? I think small differences can be attributed due to exhaust etc. The results I have seen on the CLS550 seem to indicate that the engine might put out more power than advertised. My theory is that German manufacturers underrate their turbo output based on an output achieved in a very hot environment (or after the engine is hot).

BMW CCA Member
Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Adding another 100 hp to a TT V8 with just a chip is not unlikely since it's what the Dinan stage 1 is doing to the 550. Though it could be that the S8 have bigger fans to give it a bigger potential for even more easy achievable power. That said I suspect the S6 is under rated due to the ompf in the 3.0T that make it generate performance numbers close to the 550. I would assume they want to give the S6 a significant edge over the 3.0T.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Adding another 100 hp to a TT V8 with just a chip is not unlikely since it's what the Dinan stage 1 is doing to the 550. Though it could be that the S8 have bigger fans to give it a bigger potential for even more easy achievable power. That said I suspect the S6 is under rated due to the ompf in the 3.0T that make it generate performance numbers close to the 550. I would assume they want to give the S6 a significant edge over the 3.0T.
Or it could be that Audi doesn't want the S6 to affect the RS6 which will probably come out around 500+hp and the S8 does not have an RS version so the S8 can have the full 520hp. This is most likely the reason the S6/S7 is detuned.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 08-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I can't believe this thread is 18 pages.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-31-2011, 05:39 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I can't believe this thread is 18 pages.
Don't worry, it'll get to 20 pages.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 08-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
... I ... finally settled on the Audi ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
<>

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
bingo nailed it right on the head.
...an Audi?

...from the man who waxed poetic about the Porsche experience...

You are dead to me now.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
...an Audi?

You are dead to me now.
highly inconsistent on other aspects also
Old 08-31-2011, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Panamera is an abomination it is so ugly! It looks like a stretched egg. The loaded Turbo is the only decent performer.

For less $$$ the new M5 will likely take even the Panamera Turbo.

For track days or speed, I have a Gen IV Viper with over 600 hp. Why would anyone take a 4,000 lbs 550i to the track?

Btw, I am a bit concerned about voiding the warranty with the Dinan upgrade (and the Dinan warranty is not the same as the BMW factory warranty).

My 2012 550i Msport willl be here in October and I would definitely NOT trade it for a Panamera 4S!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: car
Panamera is an abomination it is so ugly! It looks like a stretched egg.

Excellent description of the car! I have been saying its hideous to others and that is bulbous but this statement is exactly what I intend to say now about that car.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
...an Audi?

You are dead to me now.
I'm dead to you because I bought an Audi instead of a BMW or because I didn't buy another Porsche?

At the time I already owned a Cayenne and could justify throwing even more dosh into an even dearer Porsche which was why I was looking at the A6, 535i and E350. And for my waxed poetic about the Porsche experience, well that was proven by the price I got from dealer for my Cayenne, what BMW dealer would have given me 5k below list price for a 9 month old X5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
highly inconsistent on other aspects also
I will not even waste my time to give you a lengthy reply.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I'm dead to you because I bought an Audi instead of a BMW or because I didn't buy another Porsche?

At the time I already owned a Cayenne and could justify throwing even more dosh into an even dearer Porsche which was why I was looking at the A6, 535i and E350. And for my waxed poetic about the Porsche experience, well that was proven by the price I got from dealer for my Cayenne, what BMW dealer would have given me 5k below list price for a 9 month old X5?

I will not even waste my time to give you a lengthy reply.
Nope, better not reply at any length, cos you'll get further mucked up. First, posting about "switching" your Cayenne for another car, but when confronted, turn around to say the "switch" means Cayenne for your wife and getting another car for yourself; wax lyrical about the Cayenne and Pana, and the much dosh you have, but ends up selling the Cayenne (which becomes the S model and a new one at that) and getting an inferior A6 (to the BMW - you may read Porsche, also ) with a tagline "2011 Audi A6 3.0T S/Line ..... can't arrive soon enough" - plenty of coming

Last edited by bm323; 09-01-2011 at 01:19 AM.