Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Cracked head/blown gasket!!!!

After a complete overhaul of my cooling system and countless times bleeding, and after many opinions, I think the culprit is a blown head gasket or cracked/warped head. I'm calling the Stealer tomorrow for an appointment and proper diagnosis. I haven't had my bimmer for too long and have put too much money in now too quit. My question is not if i should have it fixed, but, does anyone know any Indy dealers or other options for repair in the middle GA area? I'd be willing to look in the Atlanta area, which I know is flooded with indies, but I need a good recommendation. Any help is definitely appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2011, 03:48 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardke View Post
I think the culprit is a blown head gasket or cracked/warped head.
I'm trying to figure out how long it takes to blow the head gasket or crack the heads.

May I ask: How long was the engine driven after overheating?

In addition, I've read the last 30 ruined-engine threads and compiled this set of advice to help people like you at the click of a button.

Please let me know (privately or publicly) if this helps and what else is needed so that we may, in the future, help everyone in this time of dire need.

- Summary advice to provide users who suspect a major engine repair due to overheating (1) & how to test an engine for blown head gasket, cracked heads, a warped block, cam seizures, contaminated bearings, coolant hydrolock, or piston, ring, or valve damage (1) (2) & a well researched reusable response to a particular user with a blown engine (1) & what questions to ask when severe heating-related damage is initially suspected (1) & welding the crack between cylinder #3 and the water jacket on the exhaust side (1) & what E39 engine swaps are most recommended (1) (2) (3) & how to lift & remove the engine (1) & where to obtain a new or rebuilt replacement short block or long block (1) (2) & why the E39 engines are so prone to heat-related damage in the first place (1) & real-world results from people faced with similar blown engine problems from which this advice came from (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31).

Quote:
does anyone know any Indy dealers or other options for repair in the middle GA area?
Since I don't live in GA, the 'generic' answer to that question that I can give you is in the bestlinks:

- Where to find a good mechanic (1) (2) & finding a reputable BMW indy in your area (1) (2) & labor/labour rates by zip code (1) (2) (3)
Old 09-02-2011, 07:41 AM
BMW Magician

Mein Auto: e30 M50ish
There are a range of high quality BMW indy's in and around Altanta. Here are a few I know and have had good experiences referring customers to, but keep in mind that there may very well be more that are closer to you that I don't know about yet.

Perfoming Imports
11090 Old Roswell Rd
Alphretta, Georgia 30009
www.performingimports.com

Harrison Motorsports
1805 Hembree Rd #F
Alpharetta,Georgia 30004
www.harrisonmotorsports.com

Vinings Auto Repair
1500 A Cumberland Pkwy
Smyrna, GA 30080
http://www.viningsautorepairgarage.com/

Markert Motor Works
199 East Crogan St
Lawrenceville, GA 30046
http://www.markertmotorworks.com/Home_Page.html
Old 09-05-2011, 06:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
PM me if you need somebody in the Atlanta area. I know lots of guys who quit the dealer to open their own shops.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerteck View Post
There are a range of high quality BMW indy's in and around Altanta. Here are a few I know and have had good experiences referring customers to, but keep in mind that there may very well be more that are closer to you that I don't know about yet.

Perfoming Imports
11090 Old Roswell Rd
Alphretta, Georgia 30009
www.performingimports.com

Harrison Motorsports
1805 Hembree Rd #F
Alpharetta,Georgia 30004
www.harrisonmotorsports.com

Vinings Auto Repair
1500 A Cumberland Pkwy
Smyrna, GA 30080
http://www.viningsautorepairgarage.com/

Markert Motor Works
199 East Crogan St
Lawrenceville, GA 30046
http://www.markertmotorworks.com/Home_Page.html
Hey, major thanks. I've called them all and Market Motor Works by the far seemed the best. Word from the dealer is cracked head or blown gasket. Dave at Market Motor Works gave the best price and when I googled him, a different bimmer forum had a thread saying he was great, just one negative comment, but overall great reviews. I think I'm going with him. Dealer said if bolts were stripped, I would need a new engine ( 6000 new and 3000 used, not to mention 2500 for labor). Dave said best case, just a head gasket, estimate is 1200.00 and cracked/warped head, stripped bolts, 1800.00. Couldn't find a better price. I appreciate the help and will be coming back to let you know what happened.

Bluebee:

Honestly can't tell you when this happened. I was driving the car so intermittently due to issues and test drives that I don't know exactly when this happened. I've been getting misfire codes for a few months now and couldn't figure out the cause. There has been white smoke coming from the tailpipe for a while, but it wasn't continuous, only when the car started and even then it wasn't every time. I can't even give you a reasonable time frame of when it could have happened. The craigslist guy (who turned out to be a wholesale dealer) said he was driving the car regularly and it "redlined" the night I bought it, but went right back down and overheated three days later. BMW said it was just the radiator, but who knows? Might have been head gasket then. There has been so much overheating since Feb 10, when I bought it and now that I don't know if this was always there, or if there were other issues, like radiator, water pump, etc. I appreciate your help and will keep you up to date. I know you probably think I don't read the forums before I ask my questions, but I do read them extensively. It just seems like when I have had issues their could be so many possible problems and narrowing it seems like the real headache. I will say I'm glad for this forum and don't know how a Bimmer owner can live without it.

Thanks guys (and girls)!!!!

Signed:

Still an enthused BMW owner
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
It might be worth throwing a can of Bars Leaks in there. A few people here have had success with it.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
It might be worth throwing a can of Bars Leaks in there. A few people here have had success with it.
I see you recommend this quite frequently on the site. Is this really a possibility? I only have a small amount of white smoke and rough idling, along with some misfiring. Seems like it may not be a very bad problem, but then again this is my first bimmer. I've always been told those quick fixes are temporary and may lead to more issues which may be bigger. Anyone else got any input? I also read about something called steel seal.....any input? Just seems too good to be true to solve a $1200 problem with an $8 dollar bottle of this......
Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Somebody used it within the last few months (I never have) and reported glowingly on the results. I agree it seems unlikely, but Click and Clack, from NPR's Car talk have also recommended it, and it doesn't seem to do any harm.

Here's one such report. You might PM the guy for an update. Here's his most recent follow-up, about a month later.

There are similar posts if you search the site.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Note: it doesn't always work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac:
Try a can of Bars Leaks first, at a cost of about $8.00, I think. Search the forum for a couple of threads on this.

Try it already,didn't work.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:56 AM

Bimmerteck,

Once again, thanks. Dropped my prized possession off tonight and after talking to Dave at Markert Motorworks, I feel confident in his ability. As a matter of fact, best I ever felt after talking to any mechanic about one of my cars. I'll keep this post updated to let owners in the area know about the professionalism and work of this shop.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
There are multiple types of Bars for head/block leaks alone. Its no longer one product for all leaks. You must choose the right one and use it specifically as instructed.

It's no longer like the old days. These products are very specialized and are hi-tech with some using carbon fibers.

I would not drive a car with a partial leak until it is fixed. Driving it can only be more damaging.

Bars does work, permanently, but its not a brainless fix. Must select and use only as directed.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 09-19-2011, 01:06 PM

I've seen one member on here that used Bars and sent him a message asking how it wad holding up on his 6 series. I got no response and I've already dropped it off at the shop to be properly fixed. The thought did cross my mind to try Bars, but I'd rather have the job done right the first time and not have to face other complications down the road due to a quick fix. Bars may work, but replacing the gasket/repairing the head will definitely work. I haven't driven the car but about a months' total time since buying it in Feb. At this point I have too much invested and not enough return to be trying the quick fixes.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:37 PM

The problem turned out to be a blown head gasket.........and cracked head. Apparently there was work done on this head before that was supposed to be a quick fix for a cracked head. Having the head replaced with a new gasket. I think this is the root cause of all my misery. I'm confident in the guys at the shop, however my car was dropped off on September 10th and is still in the shop......I guess quality takes time?!?!? We'll see........wad told maybe another week and a half......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Bimmer
Old 10-26-2011, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i 5 speed
Quote:
The problem turned out to be a blown head gasket.........and cracked head. Apparently there was work done on this head before that was supposed to be a quick fix for a cracked head. Having the head replaced with a new gasket. I think this is the root cause of all my misery. I'm confident in the guys at the shop, however my car was dropped off on September 10th and is still in the shop......I guess quality takes time?!?!? We'll see........wad told maybe another week and a half......
40 days is a loooong time, with another 10 days to go? I would want to see the car and actually see how much progress they've made.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncmozo View Post
40 days is a loooong time, with another 10 days to go? I would want to see the car and actually see how much progress they've made.
Actually as of today 46....but who's counting right???? I plan to make a trip up that way this Friday. Its two hours away, so I can't drop by before work today, but I do plan on a "out of the blue" stop sometime in the very near future. I read around 35-40 compliments about these guys and the only negative comment I found was from someone lived two hours away from the shop. He said they were taking their time and he picked his untouched car up after having it sit for two weeks. Guess I should have taken heed, but the price was unbeatable anywhere.......get what you pay for????? LOL, we'll see.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM

I think this is clear evidence of the squeaky wheel syndrome. If they had actually been working on it, there's no way it would take this long. Once you called, they probably said, "Uh-oh, we'd better start work on it." I suppose it's possible that there's a backlog of work at the machine shop they use for the head work, but they should have disclosed that to you.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Actually as of today 46....but who's counting right???? I plan to make a trip up that way this Friday. Its two hours away, so I can't drop by before work today, but I do plan on a "out of the blue" stop sometime in the very near future. I read around 35-40 compliments about these guys and the only negative comment I found was from someone lived two hours away from the shop. He said they were taking their time and he picked his untouched car up after having it sit for two weeks. Guess I should have taken heed, but the price was unbeatable anywhere.......get what you pay for????? LOL, we'll see.

Wow 46 days , I did my daughters over a 3 wk period after work ( actually thought it was h/g turned out to be a cracked block. ) Hope you get it back soon.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbirdez View Post
Wow 46 days , I did my daughters over a 3 wk period after work ( actually thought it was h/g turned out to be a cracked block. ) Hope you get it back soon.
Cracked block or cracked head?

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i 5-spd
Not to add fuel to your fire, but I check up on a car in the shop at least every 24 hours, remember that they ask you to sign a disclamier that they are not liable if anything happens to it on thier property. Some places will actually charge you if it's there after a certain period.

I think I would put some pressure on them to get that done...but then I would take the evidence of a prior "stopgap" repair back to the person you purchased that car from and request some compensation. Did you actually have a pre-purchase inspection done on this car?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
I don't suspect any foul play
'99 540i (grandfather's)