Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-30-2011, 03:50 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Is Lexus seriously building an M5 competitor?

I was reading a thread on the Club Lexus forum speculating about the forthcoming GS-F and talk that this car will be powered by a V10. A few contributors there said what I was thinking...with Lexus' reputation for "soft luxury" what makes that company think that customers in that market segment would consider a GS-F over an M5 as a performance sedan, given the M5's proven performance record?

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Ads by Google
Old 08-30-2011, 04:24 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Club Lexus forum - there's your answer right there.

Sure, they'll build one, and it will be here in 2020. Look how long they mucked about doing the LF-A. Stellar result, though.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-30-2011, 04:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I think it's good Lexus might be doing this as it keeps BMW on their toes.

While I don't think Lexus has ever caught up with the German Big Three from an engineering perspective, they have made sure that we get some very welcomed creature comforts that, arguably, are offered by BMW/Benz/Audi so they don't lose market share on such petty grounds.

Remember back in the early 90s when the LS400 came with a CD Changer and you had to have it dealer installed on the Benz for an extra $500-$600?!?

Competition is good for everybody.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 AM
Sejanus

FastMark, you're absolutely right about the competition stuff being a good thing...in the abstract. I've owned a bunch of Lexus cars and all of them were quality machines; and I certainly remember the 90s when Lexus came along and ate the German auto manufacturers' respective lunches. Sadly, that was then. I remember my senses exploding when I test drove my first BMW...a CPO `05 645Cic...I was driving an SC430 at the time. I realized then that Lexus cars weren't as competitive anymore. Quite frankly, for the same reasons you articulate, I would not mind seeing Lexus make a come-back in this regard. There is certainly room for Lexus among the AMGs, Audi Ss, and Mcars for another "Godzilla" from Japan. First off, though...and this is purely subjective on my part...Lexus seriously needs to shop for a new design team.

-Morpheus
Old 08-30-2011, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post

While I don't think Lexus has ever caught up with the German Big Three from an engineering perspective, they have made sure that we get some very welcomed creature comforts that, arguably, are offered by BMW/Benz/Audi so they don't lose market share on such petty grounds.
In some respects, with the LF-A they've shot right past the Big Three. Frankly, none of them can sell you a car as accomplished as the LF-A.

Lexus' mainstream sedans could do with an upgrade, but the LF-A is up there with the best in the class.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: German
hahaha, ClubLexus. That explains it all.

If you stay on there, you'd think Lexii are made by the hands of god and every other car is complete **** next to a Lexus
Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Sejanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
In some respects, with the LF-A they've shot right past the Big Three. Frankly, none of them can sell you a car as accomplished as the LF-A.

Lexus' mainstream sedans could do with an upgrade, but the LF-A is up there with the best in the class.
True dat regarding the LF-A being an uber car. It strikes me as kind of funny though for Lexus to build the LF-A as a "see, this is what we can do" kind of automobile and then stay with rather pedestrian offerings for its larger customer base.

As for none of the "big three" coming close to building a car like the LF-A, I think BMW did just that years ago with the M1!

-Morpheus

Last edited by Leslierc; 08-30-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 550ix Dark Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
hahaha, ClubLexus. That explains it all.

If you stay on there, you'd think Lexii are made by the hands of god and every other car is complete **** next to a Lexus
Not true at all, they have their share of whiners and complainers over there for sure. I came from a Lexus IS350 (nice car by the way) to my current 550 xdrive and am very happy. Wanted to step up from the the IS350 and Lexus did not have anything I liked better than the 550.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
First off, though...and this is purely subjective on my part...Lexus seriously needs to shop for a new design team.
200% Agree. Everything Lexus is producing lately is simply unattractive in the design department.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
My guess is that the GS-F will have a detuned LF-A engine and if it retains some of the noise that car makes it will have at least one selling point on the M5...
Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Resurrecting a couple of day's old thread to note that there are strong rumors today that the LF-A Nurburgring has run around the track with an astonishing 7:14.

This is the car that Naruse-San was testing when he was killed in the accident with the prototype last year - the 7:14 being a fitting testament to his work.

The time is, of course, still unconfirmed. That said, Chris Harris (EVO) has tweeted the name of the driver and noted the time and some sources say that Lexus Europe has confirmed it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/02/l...production-re/
BMW 550i, BMW 545i

Last edited by swajames; 09-02-2011 at 05:13 PM.