Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: Now Lexus Buying BMW 535
Where do you do your BMW oil change?

I am leaning towards same Stealer where I bought my BMW in Houston for my 7500 miles oil change INSTEAD of waiting for a free oil change when car tells me. I do not mind looking into independent BMW shops. However I do not know if it is SAFE (so as to not void the BMW warranty) and PRUDENT to go for oil change (only) at independent shop specializing in BMW. I am currently leasing my 2011 BMW 535i.

I am sure the oil change will cost me around $200 - $250 at a Stealer but have no clue how much will it cost me at an independent shop. Should I decide to go with an independent shop, I know which oil to insists on but what about the oil filter and what is the guarantee that he/she will install a OEM filter?

Can anybody recommend a RELIABLE independent shop specializing in BMW in Houston metro area?

Thanks a LOT.

Last edited by VicTexas2010; 09-05-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-04-2011, 10:23 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTexas2010 View Post
I am leaning towards same Stealer where I bought my BMW in Houston for my 7500 miles oil change INSTEAD of waiting for a free oil change when car tells me. I do not mind looking into independent BMW shops. However I do not know if it is SAFE (so as to not void the BMW warranty) and PRUDENT to go for oil change (only) at independent shop specializing in BMW. I am currently leasing my 2011 BMW 535i.

I am sure the oil change will cost me around $200 - $250 at a Stealer but have no clue how much will it cost me at an independent shop. Should I decide to go with an independent shop, I know which oil to insists on but what about the oil filter and what is the guarantee that he/she will install a OEM filter?

Can anybody recommend a RELIABLE (my definition - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/reliable) independent shop specializing in BMW in Houston metro area?

Thanks a LOT.
In Miami the Lexus dealer will change the oil on an F10 for $125. It's a mega dealership and they sell a lot of used BMWs so they are used to servicing them. If the BMW dealer tries to charge me $200 I will have no hesitation going to Lexus for the oil change. I have found their mechanics to be the best of any dealer in South Florida (they let you watch them work which is always a great sign - like an open kitchen).

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I do it ii in the my garage. If you're leasing the car, doing preventative maintenance is only helping out subsequent owners. It's not going to make your car perform any better. It's kind of you to do but not necessary. If you are leasing with the potential to purchase the car after the lease term then I understand. All Indy BMW shops know how to do the oil change, it's not hard at all on a 535i. Just make sure to tell them not to reset the service indicator.
Check out:
http://www.bimmershops.com/
http://www.bimrs.org/
Old 09-04-2011, 11:16 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I do my interim oil changes at my selling dealer who charges about $125. It won't be $200.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-04-2011, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:

Can anybody recommend a RELIABLE (my definition - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/reliable) independent shop specializing in BMW in Houston metro area?

Thanks a LOT.
to my experience in New England, dealer prices range between $85 and $125
I heard rumors about people in Texas charging $150..

independent shop is all right as soon as you are willing to go thorough the pain
of getting the right oil filter and oil...(they usually don't care if its the exact original filter--you should)
I think all together it will cost you almost $80 on the independent shop..
and guarantee is not voided of course.

Last edited by bmw_enthusiasm; 09-04-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
BMW center...with coupon, $85
2011 550i : Alpine White l Black Dakota l Anthracite wood:M Sport pkg l Sport Trans l Active steering l Conven pkg l Driver asst pkg l Prem pkg 2 l 4 zone AC l Side/Top view cameras l HUD w/6wa ext blk pnl l BMW Media adptr /apps l M Decklid Spoiler l Clear Bra l V1 Radar; Ordered 4/9/11, Delivered 5/21/11

Retired BMW's;
-2008 550i MSport: deep Sea Blue/ Black, Loaded
-2005 545i : Silver Gray/ Auburn, Loaded
-1993 3215iA : Jet Black/ Black, Loaded[/FONT]

Old 09-05-2011, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: Now Lexus Buying BMW 535
Thanks folks. I will call the BMW dealer and compare their price with couple of independent shops. I may buy filter from the dealer and will get the discretionary oil change at an indy shop.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks folks. I will call the BMW dealer and compare their price with couple of independent shops. I may buy filter from the dealer and will get the discretionary oil change at an indy shop.
you can buy the whole kit $69.00 and take it to Jiffy Lube. Even they shouldn't fook it up.

OEM BMW Oil Change Kit
(I know it says for 3 series but the filter and oil capacity is the same for N52/N54/N55 engines)
Old 09-05-2011, 10:46 AM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
you can buy the whole kit $69.00 and take it to Jiffy Lube. Even they shouldn't fook it up.
Be sure to explain about the crush washer. They have been known to:
a) Not change it
b) Put new on top of old washer (aluminum ones look like part of the bolt.)

Oh yes, same for the two O-rings. They are not "spares", they are to be changed.

They are to tighten filter cap until the green marks align, no more, no less.

And make them put back the "dipstick".
Old 09-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erregend View Post
Be sure to explain about the crush washer. They have been known to:
a) Not change it
b) Put new on top of old washer (aluminum ones look like part of the bolt.)

Oh yes, same for the two O-rings. They are not "spares", they are to be changed.

They are to tighten filter cap until the green marks align, no more, no less.

And make them put back the "dipstick".
This is why I do it myself. I don't trust anyone to do it properly. Also there is residual oil in the housing that I suck out with a turkey baster. The plastic top of the oil filter housing gets nasty sludge deposited on the top of it. You have to take a shop towel and fish it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0870.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	291680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0869.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	291681  
Old 09-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
This is why I do it myself. I don't trust anyone to do it properly. Also there is residual oil in the housing that I suck out with a turkey baster. The plastic top of the oil filter housing gets nasty sludge deposited on the top of it. You have to take a shop towel and fish it out.

For those of you with kids, I highly recommend the disposable medicine syringes that they give you with antibiotics, etc. They're great for sucking the oil out without pissing off your wife for ruining her turkey baster.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
For those of you with kids, I highly recommend the disposable medicine syringes that they give you with antibiotics, etc. They're great for sucking the oil out without pissing off your wife for ruining her turkey baster.
Roger that.

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 09-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: S430
The dealer quoted about $110 and independ quoted $98. I went to dealer and it was $94. I think I'll go back after 22,500.