Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
John, we don't get (or even see) the diesel Cayenne here. I suspect that when VW/Audi bring the new twin turbo 4.0 diesel to the North American market a version of that will be what the Cayenne will get too. Look for a big improvement with that diesel in the Porsche.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
John, we don't get (or even see) the diesel Cayenne here. I suspect that when VW/Audi bring the new twin turbo 4.0 diesel to the North American market a version of that will be what the Cayenne will get too. Look for a big improvement with that diesel in the Porsche.
Well I will need to see this to believe it TBH, I can't see the cayenne getting that engine but who knows.
Diesel will soon be coming to the states and when you drive one then petrol will be off your shopping list
Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 AM

That may well be the case, Porsche may eschew a diesel in this market altogether and just use their hybrid as a token greener. The Q7 badly needs more power in their TDI to at least be somewhat close to the X5 35d, followed I am sure by MB in this market.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
As part of my shopping for a 540iT replacement I looked at the Cayenne. Decided the X3 35 was significantly better as an all around vehicle. I would go so far as to say that the X3 35 is the best vehicle BMW makes, in terms of being a leader within it's class. Remove the RFTs and use decent rubber like Porsche does and the X3 will easily out-handle a Cayenne.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
As part of my shopping for a 540iT replacement I looked at the Cayenne. Decided the X3 35 was significantly better as an all around vehicle. I would go so far as to say that the X3 35 is the best vehicle BMW makes, in terms of being a leader within it's class. Remove the RFTs and use decent rubber like Porsche does and the X3 will easily out-handle a Cayenne.
TOTALLY Agree, I drove the cayenne before ordereing the X3 35D M Sport just no comparison, nice interior in the porsche and thats were it ended, bmw all the way and lighting quick compared to the "Sluggard Porsche".
Old 09-04-2011, 03:03 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
I like to pick on BMW a lot because of their screwy policies and attitudes, but dump the RFT's and I would agree as well.

The only ones that really benefit from RFT's are the mfg as they no longer have to supply or accomodate a spare.

Just drove a 2011 328i with RFT 's the other day and after 30 miles I felt like I had taken a bunch of axe kicks to the back. Every bump was jarring and uncomfortable.

And it was faster to have the ticking lifters in my X3 reapired then it was to get a set of Conti A/S RFTs for my wife's mini cooper. Her car was out of commission for three days as a result of getting two tires slashed.

Unless your doing 100 mph + and have a blowout there isn't any redeeming qualities I can find for RFT's. However, I digress.

I love Porsches, but dollar for dollar you get more with the BMW.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 09-04-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I like to pick on BMW a lot because of their screwy policies and attitudes, but dump the RFT's and I would agree as well.

The only ones that really benefit from RFT's are the mfg as they no longer have to supply or accomodate a spare.

Just drove a 2011 328i with RFT 's the other day and after 30 miles I felt like I had taken a bunch of axe kicks to the back. Every bump was jarring and uncomfortable.

And it was faster to have the ticking lifters in my X3 reapired then it was to get a set of Conti A/S RFTs for my wife's mini cooper. Her car was out of commission for three days as a result of getting two tires slashed.

Unless your doing 100 mph + and have a blowout there isn't any redeeming qualities I can find for RFT's. However, I digress.

I love Porsches, but dollar for dollar you get more with the BMW.
The run-flats we get in the Uk are Michelin they are very good.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
The run-flats we get in the Uk are Michelin they are very good.
-Not if they drove on SoCal freeways.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
-Not if they drove on SoCal freeways.
All Concrete I suppose.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
All Concrete I suppose.
-Yeah, with a lot of ground movement that creates little cracks and bumps.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: '07 530i
I test drove the V8 now (in addition to the hybrid) and the power is intoxicating. That being said, for those who lease the Porsche numbers really suck compared to BMW. PFS has no support or specials for the Cayenne, not that they need to I guess.

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer
Old 09-05-2011, 07:30 AM

The numbers suck because they are selling everything they can get their hands on. Talk about a seller's market. I am surprised that there aren't "ADP" stickers on the new Cayennes yet.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X3 6-Speed, 98 Z3 M
I think its really good how open minded people are on this site. The BMW is great but no one can honestly say the Porsche is awesome Ive been on so many other forum website (Civic, GTI, WRX..) when i was in the market for a car and so many people are so insecure about there car and just rip on other brands pretending that their riceburning Civic is the best car on the road. Its good how most of us aren't ashamed to say the Porsche is better, even though its more money.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedFasterX3 View Post
I think its really good how open minded people are on this site. The BMW is great but no one can honestly say the Porsche is awesome Ive been on so many other forum website (Civic, GTI, WRX..) when i was in the market for a car and so many people are so insecure about there car and just rip on other brands pretending that their riceburning Civic is the best car on the road. Its good how most of us aren't ashamed to say the Porsche is better, even though its more money.
-I don't think it's better, V6 to I6, just more expensive.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
The numbers suck because they are selling everything they can get their hands on. Talk about a seller's market. I am surprised that there aren't "ADP" stickers on the new Cayennes yet.
When I spoke to a couple of dealers, the only deals to be had were for a couple of Cayenns en route to the dealership. No choices and just 1-1.5 K discount! Also, the 15-25 K premium on the Cayenne is based on the fully loaded version. Thinking of things like PDCC and PTV
Old 09-06-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Driver View Post
When I spoke to a couple of dealers, the only deals to be had were for a couple of Cayenns en route to the dealership. No choices and just 1-1.5 K discount! Also, the 15-25 K premium on the Cayenne is based on the fully loaded version. Thinking of things like PDCC and PTV
Unfortunately for Porsche they offer Bottom book PX prices which for most people puts them off straight away.
The Cayenne is massive and feels it to me, the only thing I liked about it was the interior.
The X3 35D M Sport will trounce all but the V8's.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 AM

Question

Quote:
Unfortunately for Porsche they offer Bottom book PX prices which for most people puts them off straight away.
The Cayenne is massive and feels it to me, the only thing I liked about it was the interior.
The X3 35D M Sport will trounce all but the V8's.
OK, you've got me - PX pricing?!?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Post Exchange -- no tax military sales, very close to ED without any VAT added. However when you bring it back the state it is registered in will get a registration/license fee. This will be less than new of course because it is "used", if you actually took delivery and used it over seas. If not, then expect to pay the "new car" fees.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Driver View Post
OK, you've got me - PX pricing?!?
Part Exchange against the Porsche, If you have a car to "PX" ( part exchange ) Porsche offer the minimum.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Part Exchange against the Porsche, If you have a car to "PX" ( part exchange ) Porsche offer the minimum.
Got it - tks
Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 AM

So part exchange is a trade in. Good never heard that before. Sorry about the mistake but PX is also a term for military sales. Which are a good deal for the troops overseas.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
So part exchange is a trade in. Good never heard that before. Sorry about the mistake but PX is also a term for military sales. Which are a good deal for the troops overseas.
Your explanation was definitely more customer friendly
Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 128
Being a pretty staunch non-turbo guy, I test drove the V8 Cayenne and X3 2.8 on the same day, from the same lot, on the same test loop. I liked everything about the X3 more, but I'm a "smaller is better" kind of guy at heart. Ultimately though, the A8 tranny, throttle lag, lack of an available hitch, and proprietary roof rails put me off just a bit too much, and I went another route. Still, I believe I could happily own the X3 for years, and it certainly has a bit less "badge envy" than the Cayenne (small town resident chiming in here).

Last edited by kosmo; 09-11-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 MINI Cooper S loaded
I also test drove the Cayenne...I thought the X3 was superior to the baseline Cayenne in nearly every category I care about.

I thought the Cayenne S was much more interesting, but it was $30k more...

The X3 is surprisingly capable.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
X3 vs Cayenne

PC V6 is a terrible waist.

Unless you're a sumo wrestler.

Get it? Waist?

Oh, forget it.