Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335I x-drive m-sport
535I vs 535I X drive

The differences between the E60 RWD and AWD were significant affecting drive feel, drive height, wheel offset and even suspension availability.
My 2010 535I RWD for Sport Package (including offset front & rear wheels is what I think best delivers the true BMW experience in the E60's. My 2006 530XI was a tank in the snow, but not the sports sedan (sorry XI fans) feel I was looking for most of the time.
As my dealers searches for a suitable M-Sport in a 535I, they tell me the X-Drive changes in the F10 should deliver the same feel. What is the real world experience of everyone? This is my daily driver which I'll put close to 25,000 miles a year, so the X-Drive helps for my winter driving in PA. Should I consider the X-Drive or will I be disappointed? Are the wheel offset, ride height and feel the same?

Gone 2011 535I X-Drive - Space Grey / Black Dakota / M-Sport / Sport Automatic with Paddles / Premium I / Premium II/ Cold Weather

Gone 2010 535I - Alpine Wht / Blck Dakota - Sprt, Premium, Cold Weather, Sport auto, Anthracite Liner, Nav, Satellite, HD & I-Pod

Gone - 2006 530XI -
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Qualityhound

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
Lots of debate here and other forums. Height of both cars is the same; x-drive adds 140 lbs.; handling is very subjective, but for some of us, x-drive actually is our preference. A big variable is Sport vs. Non-sport. There are two schools of thought on acceleration times between the two cars. X-drive car's may be quicker from 0-60 - RWD cars quicker 0-100 if tires are equal.

For me, both cars are a blast to drive. I put heavy miles with snow and ice. Individual tastes are different, and I would take both cars out on a really rainy day and decide what works best for you.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:08 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich1353 View Post
Are the wheel offset, ride height and feel the same?
Wheel offset: Fronts are identical at 33mm. The rears are 44 vs 33, but the i's rear rim is 12mm wider, so the outer edge is basically in the same spot.

Ride height: Identical

Feel: Not sure. The F10's xDrive is rear biased and BMW claims it offers superior dry handling, but I haven't driven both back to back so I can't judge.

Quote:
Should I consider the X-Drive or will I be disappointed?
The winter driving need for xDrive really depends on the terrain that you drive. RWD and snow tires are just fine in flatter locales, but IMHO, xDrive is only needed if you climb hills in the white stuff. There's a lot of debate about A/S vs snows on xDrives, but after a quick search you will find numerous opinions. Personally, I went with xDrive and performance snow tires.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 09-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
+1,last post summary is right on the money
2010-2012 GLK 350/wife/
2008-2011-328XI
2004-2007-CLK55
2007-2010-X3 3.0
2001-2004-A8 4.2
2004-2007 X5 3.0/E53/
1999-2001-SL500
1996-1999-ML320 4MATIC
1992-1995-VOLVO 850 TURBO
1990-1992-525I
1987-1990-OLDSMOBILE CS
1981-1987-LADA/VAZ 2103
Old 09-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
I've tried 550i before 550xi (for me xi was not a question, since don't want to struggle at winter here in Toronto..).

550i steering felt light and slightly kind of strange.. After that I've discovered that it was electric - so it explains.
550xi steering felt light and may be there is a hint of torque-feedback under heavy acceleration - but not sure if it is there or I just imagined that

Both steerings felt quite a mile behind (and wife noticed that as well - she told me that first) the 2001 Lexus GS430 where steering is heavy, connected to the road, absolutely uniform on different speed/angle.
But well, this is where the progress goes - you cannot go back in time...

In any case - once I get used - have absolutely no problems with how the steering feels, and more important: how car "sticks" to the road in turns - above all compliments.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
The winter driving need for xDrive really depends on the terrain that you drive. RWD and snow tires are just fine in flatter locales, but IMHO, xDrive is only needed if you climb hills in the white stuff. There's a lot of debate about A/S vs snows on xDrives, but after a quick search you will find numerous opinions. Personally, I went with xDrive and performance snow tires.
For me XI was for another reason - in my rear-wheel drive Lexus there are some issues with accelerating out of the turn - basically I cannot really push the pedal until the steering wheel is straight - otherwise traction control would kill my acceleration, or (if TC is Off) the rear would spin off (there is no LSD, only open diff). Not good.
Especially in the wet - I felt that rear cannot handle 300 hp.
Tires are not the issue - Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesterk View Post
For me XI was for another reason - in my rear-wheel drive Lexus there are some issues with accelerating out of the turn - basically I cannot really push the pedal until the steering wheel is straight - otherwise traction control would kill my acceleration, or (if TC is Off) the rear would spin off (there is no LSD, only open diff). Not good.
Especially in the wet - I felt that rear cannot handle 300 hp.
Tires are not the issue - Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.
I basically agree here.

Even with the 535i and "only" 300 HP, I feel that the car does occasionally lose traction out of the corners. Of course, I am running All Season tires, albeit high performance ones, so I am sure summers would help. However, I'd definitely do the xi next time, for the dry traction and the hydraulic steering.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335I x-drive m-sport
Thanks for everyone's feedback
Sounds like considering an X-Drive will be a good choice!
I am running Michelin Pilot's as my summer set up now and with 12,000 miles on them, I am feeling the rear slip out. I am used to running a winter set up on an extra set of wheels.

Gone 2011 535I X-Drive - Space Grey / Black Dakota / M-Sport / Sport Automatic with Paddles / Premium I / Premium II/ Cold Weather

Gone 2010 535I - Alpine Wht / Blck Dakota - Sprt, Premium, Cold Weather, Sport auto, Anthracite Liner, Nav, Satellite, HD & I-Pod

Gone - 2006 530XI -
Old 09-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's feedback
Sounds like considering an X-Drive will be a good choice!
I am running Michelin Pilot's as my summer set up now and with 12,000 miles on them, I am feeling the rear slip out. I am used to running a winter set up on an extra set of wheels.
Just immediately get rid of the Goodyear LS-A's.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I am running All Season tires, albeit high performance ones,
Curious - Did you change out your stock tires for these? Sitting here scratching my head; I thought non-X ZSP cars came with summer performance tires.

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
The differences between the E60 RWD and AWD were significant affecting drive feel, drive height, wheel offset and even suspension availability.
My 2010 535I RWD for Sport Package (including offset front & rear wheels is what I think best delivers the true BMW experience in the E60's. My 2006 530XI was a tank in the snow, but not the sports sedan (sorry XI fans) feel I was looking for most of the time.
As my dealers searches for a suitable M-Sport in a 535I, they tell me the X-Drive changes in the F10 should deliver the same feel. What is the real world experience of everyone? This is my daily driver which I'll put close to 25,000 miles a year, so the X-Drive helps for my winter driving in PA. Should I consider the X-Drive or will I be disappointed? Are the wheel offset, ride height and feel the same?
There is a dilemma here..

on the one side, the xi will give you a hydraulic steering which will certainly feel and handle better than my 550i's electric one...
on the other hand,
when I test-drive the 535xi, it was a complete 'tank' experience like you mention with the old E60.
Especially at start. It didn't feel like a car but more like a truck.
This doesn't mean its a bad ride.
But it is completely different than the RWD

and the old dealer trick:
"The F10's xDrive is rear biased and BMW claims it offers superior dry handling, ."

the first part of this sentence is total BS...the second part is true that handling is great.

But it is so annoying when they say this to you and you drive both cars in front of them and they keep on BS you...

I have no problem with the Xi and I would consider it especially because of the hydraulic steering. But BMW....please...don't tell me that the car drives the same with the regular i version; it just doesn't its as different as day and night.
I like both, two different fruits though.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I agree with the OP regarding the E60 -- I had X-Drive in mine, and really didn't like it much. In fact, of all the cars I've ever owned/leased (8 in total since MY 1997), it was my least favorite car.

And it was largely because of the X-Drive.

When that lease was ending, I was hellbent on getting a regular old 535i until I drove it enough that the electric steering annoyed me.

I had to do some major convincing to myself to get another Xdrive because I had a horrible taste in my mouth.

Overall, I'm happy with my choice. I can still effortlessly list 10 things I hate about this car, but I can probably do that with any car I'd ever buy/lease.

XDrive in the F10 is better than XDrive in the E60, that's a fact.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 09-05-2011, 11:43 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post

and the old dealer trick:
"The F10's xDrive is rear biased and BMW claims it offers superior dry handling, ."

the first part of this sentence is total BS...the second part is true that handling is great.

But it is so annoying when they say this to you and you drive both cars in front of them and they keep on BS you...
What old dealer trick or BS are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.com
xDrive: the intelligent all-wheel drive system from BMW.
With xDrive a BMW takes full advantage of the benefits of rear-wheel drive: precise handling, optimum cornering and a clear separation between the engine and steering. Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is only activated if it is necessary to redistribute engine power when conditions deteriorate: the system effectively counters over- or understeering by engaging the electronically controlled multiple-plate clutch, which reacts within a tenth of a second, to distribute up to 100% of the engine power to the front or rear axle and then back to the normal 40:60 ratio. With the BMW xDrive all-wheel drive system each axle optimally uses its traction to provide stabile acceleration out of every bend.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...echnology.html

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
This test car demonstrates what a vast improvement the new generation of BMW’s xDrive hardware represents over the last. The new version employs similar hardware to last year’s, but the car now sends more torque to the rear wheels during cornering and has adopted a much-faster-acting computer system. Like the old system, the 2011 535i xDrive’s has a default front-to-rear torque split of 40/60 percent. During cornering, the old all-wheel-drive 535xi maintained that split, but the new system moves to a 20/80-percent split to counter the understeer that plagued the old all-wheel-drive 5. Also aiding the 5’s ability to rotate fluidly is a torque-vectoring system that applies the brake to the inside rear wheel while feeding a bit more power to the rear end—and therefore to the unbraked outside wheel—to compensate for the drag. Together with the quicker computer, these two features make for a very agile sedan
2011 BMW 535i xDrive - Car & Driver
Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
What old dealer trick or BS are you talking about?

while the Xi is great improvement and rear biased and a great ride

it will NEVER EVER reach the feeling of RWD

currently it cannot be even compared.

I have no opinion on which one is better. They are just different.

So the dealer or at least a couple of sca_bags dealers i visit,

will actually try to convince you that its the same ride and they do that

with 3 series and 5 series as well.

a back to back test drive will convince you otherwise.

I am just stating the facts. Not my personal opinion.

go ride them back to back.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:14 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Longtime HPDE instructor here. I have driven them back to back, and prefer the xDrive F10 for 95% of all real world driving situations.

RWD gives you the ability to dirt track the rear end, and would be more fun drifting in a snow covered parking lot. Plus the staggered wheels on the ZSP or ZMP are sweet. But other than those VERY minor quibbles, the xDrive is fine.

I'm glad my M3 is RWD. But my incoming 535 will be driven in all types of weather, and xDrive is the way to go.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic