Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 12 550xi
Dynamic Handling Package needed with sport, 550 xdrive?

couple questions guys:

i'm considering a 550 xdrive. i've test driven one last year, and pretty sure it had the dynamic handling package.

i like the idea of being able to switch ride configurations to more of a floating couch if needed.

any of you guys have a 550 without it? i don't know if sport package really does much to the handling of xdrive cars like the E60 (sport didn't change the suspension IIRC).

along the same lines, anyone go conservative with the 550xdrive and not get sport...just standard suspension?

i know this is a big car, with a big engine....i know the standard 18" wheels should be good for ride and pothole resistance, but when you get on the interstate and higher speeds, this car seems like it would need a bit more than the standard suspension layout....just my guess.

thanks in advance.

i'm thinking of this config:

11 550 xdrive
Sport
Dynamic Handling (if needed)?
Cold
Premium 2
Convenience

or.....

11 550 xdrive
Cold
Premium 2
Convenience

it seems that you can make a 550 sport w/dyanmic handling ride pretty darned smooth and comfortable when you want it. i'm concerned with a 400hp engine and the size of the car, the base suspension might be lacking at times when you want/need it.

oh, i'll add.....if i'm the passenger, i can get motion sick pretty easy. i'd get motion sick in my 328
Old 09-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Mostly depends on the type of driver you are. If you are a laid back cruiser, the base version without DHP will probably be fine. If you like a sporty feel but don't want added cost and complexity a Sport model with Sport Automatic transmission will suit your needs. If you occasionally like to toss the car around a mountain road, DHP is probably your best bet.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 VW GTI DSG
I was struggling with the same issue - DHP vs no DHP and opted for DHP. The difference is well worth the money IMO.

My car: 535i MT, DHP, sport, P1, Nav. ED June 2011, PCD Sept 8th 2011 (in 2 days!).
I had a chance to toss the car around the Alps and DHP made a huge difference.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
I was going to go more on basic options side. 550i with no sport, DHP or SAT. Nor was I going to add HUD or active ventilated. Well, we all know how that turned out. Had the same struggle, but I was trying to keep my lease price within a certain range. At the time when I first started looking, the leases were sky high, but they got more aggressive and doable.

Didn't have a huge amount of seat time in a DHP equipped car, but the ability to change the personality on the fly was attractive to me.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
I've recently tried the loaner 535 without anything - and was really shocked.
To me - this barge may not bear BMW logo on it - 10 years ago Toyota Camry was much firmer and handled better.
The only 2 things that were not stripped from the base 535 here - the look (and the HID headlights) and heated seats.

For CAD 63K I consider that base car as pure scam. I don't know the options layout for US car - but get everything - all packages and options (may be only except night vision, etc)
E.g. here paying 25% more - you will literally will get 90% more car.
It makes no sense to get empty BMW - Kia Optima with everything costs CAD 30K, looks as interesting as possible(), drives better and has much more features..

So I'd say that DHP is the must (and it adds Sport). Yes, when I forget to switch suspension to "Sport" - my wife starts complaining about motion sick pretty fast.
The rest is up to the preference.
I have everything except rear entertainment, night vision and active cruise control. Use and love everything, may be only except line departure warning - in the city it is kind of annoying
Slightly regret that I didn't ordered Active cruise control - I think it would be really nice on the highway trips... If it costs 1-1.5K max - would buy it, but not for the 2.5. OK, may be next time..
Also once thing I really miss - soft-close doors are not offered in Canada. Thinking about retrofitting from US model...
Also it seems like auto high beams and parking assistant not offered here as well - not really needed (with top view parking is now fully automatic like ILS plane landing), but would pay 500 just to have - may be would use them a few times

Last edited by nesterk; 09-06-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Unfortunately I don't think I've seen a base suspension reader that has installed after market sport springs. This could possibly be a WAY cheaper option to get a better handling car than a DHP equipped car and also a lot less complex. You won't get ars that way though and that leaves a question mark of how good the standard passive sway bars are together with sports springs. A bit of a gamble without having a reference from someone who have tested it.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 12 550xi
Thank you very much for the input guys. I think I'm going to have to do some test driving. I'm hoping by the end of the month, that i can pull the trigger on a 550, if not a 535. i think there will be enough left over 2011's, especially higher optioned models that I won't have to order. But if I can't find something that I like, I'll go the order route.

I'll have to try and find a dealer with a 550 non sport to test. Ride actually is more important for me than zipping around corners a vast majority of the time, but I want that 400hp to be put to good use, when I want it.

Danke.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
At the end of the day if you are getting a 550ix, go all the way. I'll never forget when I bought my 2007 E550 the dealer had one without a sports package (a free option mind you). They couldn't pay someone to take the car. If performance is not a major thing then I would go for a 535. It is very quick and does 80% of what the 550 does...

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 09-07-2011, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell525 View Post
Thank you very much for the input guys. I think I'm going to have to do some test driving. I'm hoping by the end of the month, that i can pull the trigger on a 550, if not a 535. i think there will be enough left over 2011's, especially higher optioned models that I won't have to order. But if I can't find something that I like, I'll go the order route.

I'll have to try and find a dealer with a 550 non sport to test. Ride actually is more important for me than zipping around corners a vast majority of the time, but I want that 400hp to be put to good use, when I want it.

Danke.
If ride is more important to you most of the time then the Comfort Mode of the DHP is the way to go. Then you can switch to Normal or Sport when you are in the mood. Comfort Mode in the F10 with DHP is the best ride I have ever experienced in a BMW. Of course, I have never driven the latest 7 series.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.