Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: Solara
Smile 128i convertible

Love this car but need to be able to drive it all winter does anyone have any advice? thank you.... I need a car no longer than 175 inches short garage!
Ads by Google
Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I drive mine all winter but winter here does not involve much frozen precipitation. Are in in Massachusetts? If so, you will need at least all season tires and most would recommend snow tires. If you take care of the tires, you should be fine in winter. The top has multiple layers so the heater works well. It is best not to let snow and ice freeze on the top but if you do, it will not do any immediate damage, it will just last fewer years than a garage kept car.

Jim
Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 1M, MINI Countryman S
Buy separate set of winter tires & wheels if you have space in your garage to store them.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 G8 GXP
My brother is in MA and has had an M3vert since 2004 that has served him well every winter in MA and going to North Conway NH to ski regularly. All he's done is get a good set of winter wheels and tires. I've been doing the same in warmer (but still cold in the winter) DC.

Last edited by sjp3003; 08-28-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Faffair: What kind of tires have you been using during the winter and how well have they worked for you?

If your 128i does not have either Sport Package, then it comes with OEM all-season tires. These will be fine for all temperatures and should get you through about 2 inches of snow.

But if you have a sport package, you have Summer tires which will be very slippery on dry pavement below about 35o, and downright dangerous in any snow or ice. In this case, either don't drive the car under the above condidtions or heed the advice of the other posters and buy dedicated wheels (preferably 17") with good winter tires.

Also there are two basic types of winter tires - performance which give decent performance on dry roads at the expense of some snow/ice capability, and studless which are best on snow & ice but feel a bit "rubbery" on dry roads. See the TireRack.com website for wheel/tire packages for your car.

If you opt for a performance winter tire and wish to stay with a run-flat, I would recommend the Dunlop M3.

Tom
Old 08-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Thank you all...do you all think i should be waiting for it to be maufactured in front wheel drive?
I am i. Boston where the winter last year was hideous......owned a 750il and had snow tires but it still was a sled in the snow....
Old 08-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Why wait?
You can buy Audi A5 or TT (and many other FWD cars) right now.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:38 PM
AW 2012 BMW 128i Oyster L

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i coupe soon
TomK, My BMW 128i is my first rear wheel drive car and this will be my first winter. Do I have all season tires? I love in Northern NJ where we do get a lot of snow in the winter time but it is cleared quickly unless the snow storms are continuous. Will I need snow tires? I wish the 128i came in four wheel drive along with the rear wheel drive. I really am enjoying how well the car handles and merges and parks. I love the power which is more than my prior car. Of course I am not loving getting much less miles per gallon but at least the maintenance is free for the first few years to offset that fact.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_128i View Post
I wish the 128i came in four wheel drive along with the rear wheel drive.
Why buy not just buy Audi TT (that comes with standard All-wheel Drive) instead?
Old 08-28-2011, 06:39 PM

sd330ci, I had no idea the Audi TT was as small as it was. I just checked it out. I looked at the first few Audi's listed on the Edmunds.com site and they all looked too big. I know I sat in one Audi in the driving lot at Shop-Rite (someone let me sit in it) and I could not sit close enough to the gas pedals. I will look into it and compare it with the BMW 128i when my lease is up. Thanks for letting me know. But I do love my BMW so much.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_128i View Post
TomK, My BMW 128i is my first rear wheel drive car and this will be my first winter. Do I have all season tires?
As I said, if you have a Sport Package, no - otherwise yes. My experience has been that most A/S are OK in light snow, especially if you are familiar with RWD handling in snow.

But for anything more than about 2~3", I'd opt for winter tires.

Tom
Old 08-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Tom K, I usually never go out if there is moe than 2 - 3" of snow on the ground since i have a home office and I can wait until the roads are plowed. I am happier now that I have all season tires. I really love the way my car handles and my visibility is excellent.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 PM

sd330ci, I read a few reviews on the Audi TT and the seats look to firm and too long for me and the windows are angled in the back which will give me blind spots since I am very petite. The car is wider than my BMW 128i despite being shorter which will be a problem for me getting into and out of my garage. I am happy with my BMW 128i and so glad I have all season tires.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I live in the south now but drove from about 1970 to 1999 in climates which got snow and ice. I mostly drove rear wheel drive vehicles but I had one 4 wheel drive SUV and a couple front wheel drive cars. 4 wheel drive only helps you go, it does nothing to help you stop. So it is easy for people to get over confident if they do not adjust. Front wheel drive tends to mean more weight on the drive wheels which is a good thing in low traction situations. My first car was a 1966 Mustang which was a lot lighter in the rear than my bimmer and it got around fine on snow and ice. You had to be careful, however. The issue with front wheel drive is that the wheels that pull you around also steer you. So if you lose traction on the drive wheels you also can't steer. This happened to me once in a front wheel drive vehicle and almost resulted in me going off a cliff. Not fun at all. Rear wheel drive is advantageous, IMHO, IF you have reasonable weight over the drive wheels and IF you know how to recover from oversteer and/or leave the stability/traction control on. Apropriate tires help but not as much as knowing what to do for oversteer. Understeer recovery is obvious to most people, get off the gas. (front wheel drive vehicles are very prone to understeer) Oversteer requires you to steer into the slide and correct. Not so obvious or intuitive and worth practicing. My favorite way was in a snow covered parking lot. They teach under and over steer recovery at the Performance Center. I know they do it in M school and I suspect they do it other classes. This would be very worthwhile if you are not comfortable you know what to do. If you drive rear drive in snow country and do not have good oversteer recovery skills, leave the stability control on. Drivers of rear wheel drive should think about learning to recover from oversteer, however, IMHO. It is fun and not really that difficult. If you can do that, I think rear wheel drive is actually safer (and a lot more fun).

Jim
Old 09-02-2011, 07:25 PM

JimD1, Thank you for letting me know that if I learn to drive in the snow using oversteer recovery skills, I will be fine. Maybe I will see if there is a class to help me since I love the way my BMW 128i handles around curves and in the rain. I keep the stability/traction control on at all times since to me the car drives fast compared to my other car and I feel safer like this.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 PM

BMW Car Club of America hosts multiple driving schools close to NJ
http://www.njbmwcca.org/event_info/driver_school.php
Old 09-02-2011, 09:49 PM

Thank you sd330Ci for the BMW Car Club of America Diving Schools list. The closest to my home is the NY location that is 1 hour 40 minutes away going 65 MPG and no less and if there was no traffic. Amazingly CT is the 2nd closes at 2.25 hours again going that fast with no traffic but in my area there is always traffic. Millville, NJ is 2.75 minutes from me and is the farthest. The NY location sounds like I may want to go there for a vacation for a few days to learn how to drive better and have someone watch my little dogs. You have to be there at 7 Am and I could never get up early enough to make it in time so I would have to get a hotel.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:52 PM

Just looked up pictures of sd330Ci's RED 2011 1M. I am in love with that color and car! I had so many red Honda Preludes in the past so this time I got a white car which I love but maybe in a few years if they still make that perfect shade of red, that will be the color of my next BMW!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 PM

It's much closer than M driving school in SC, but still requires whole weekend.
My 1M color is Valencia Orange that will be available for next gen 1 series.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:08 PM

sd330CI, Thanks for letting me know. That Valencia Orange is gorgeous in the pictures you posted in your garage!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 07 E93
I also live in NJ and it was a terrible winter last year. My recommendation is to get snow tires with rims. I got used rims with new tires for 700 bucks. Check out what people are selling here and also craigs list.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:40 AM

Snow Tires

Thank you Capt ..I know you are correct about the tires...I guess I will wait until bmw makes a car of this size more for economy and ease rather than performance!!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faffair View Post
Thank you Capt ..I know you are correct about the tires...I guess I will wait until bmw makes a car of this size more for economy and ease rather than performance!!!!
Faffair, to be fair (no pun intended ) It sounds like you just want a luxury car, and not a driver's car. You'd be best off sticking with Lexus, Infiniti, etc. That being said I had no problems last winter with snow tires on my 128i. I even drove out in many of the blizzards watching 4x4's spinning out in the snow as I passed them.