Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 Honda Accord
SAT (Sport Automatic Transmission) "2TB"

I'm a noob so here's the stupid question of the day, Whats the advantage of having SAT besides shifting gears with the paddles? Is it a better transmission even though you may never use the shifting paddles? I'm trying to determine if i really need it or not as I plan on purchasing a 2012 535i within a the next month.

Thanks for reading this.
2012 535i Alpine White | Oyster Black Dakota Interior | LiteSpeed Catback Exhaust system | M5 Rear Diffuser | Painted Calipers, Reflectors & Black Gloss Grill | FormulaOne Pinnacle Series Tint | Born on 1/30/12

Gre8tW8LL

Last edited by Gre8tW8LL; 09-07-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: additional information
Ads by Google
Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gre8tW8LL View Post
I'm a noob so here's the stupid question of the day, Whats the advantage of having SAT besides shifting gears with the paddles? Is it a better transmission even though you may never use the shifting paddles? I'm trying to determine if i really need it or not as I plan on purchasing a 2012 535i within a the next month.

Thanks for reading this.
It's the same tranny as far as the internals are concened, but there are debatable changes associated with it. To understand my debatable comment, just follow the link below.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=sport+auto

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 09-08-2011, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
See this thread and the f10 forum link in it http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=562219

Get the SAT or it will be one of the worst mistakes in optioning the F10.

Last edited by bm323; 09-08-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:09 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
See this thread and the f10 forum link in it http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=562219

Get the SAT or it will be one of the worst mistakes in optioning the F10.
+
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM

btw, a few members in this forum have pooh-poohed the SAT if you are keen to see the effort and time put in to reach the conclusion made in the f10 forum (in the other thread mentioned), see this thread http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368952 caveat: it may be confusing along the way as the posters were testing, checking out, and confirming the options

Last edited by bm323; 09-08-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Would not order the car without it, even if just for the paddles and the nicer shifter.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-08-2011, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i MSport
I hate the paddles on the steering wheel so I didn't get SAT with my M-Sport 528i. But in sport and/or DS mode (by the way, both modes have the same effect on the tranny--as far as I can tell) I can't imagine the transmission performing any better (quicker).
Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
I hate the paddles on the steering wheel so I didn't get SAT with my M-Sport 528i. But in sport and/or DS mode (by the way, both modes have the same effect on the tranny--as far as I can tell) I can't imagine the transmission performing any better (quicker).
I've had my car for 3 days now, and so far I don't use the paddles. (Partially because I'm babying the car during break-in.) But I can assure you that they don't get in your way at all. Unless you grip the wheel at 9 and 3 where the wheel is precisely in the webbing of your thumb, and your fingers are extended, the paddles don't get in your way. So I'm not sure from where your hatred stems...

I didn't drive the car without SAT, so I can't tell you via personal A vs. B comparison if there's a difference in shift speed. I suspect there may be, because it's been widely reported/suspected -- but that might be the internet echo chamber at work.

I bought it for three concrete reasons, aside from the purported shift time benefits:
(1) It's cheap.
(2) The shifter is aesthetically superior.
(3) The testing I did, and most of the reviews I read online, had the feature, and liked the experience. And so I opted for the known good vehicle configuration.

There's also another reason, but it's fuzzy:
(4) It feels odd ordering a BMW without ticking most, if not all, of the performance-oriented options.

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325 Xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post
I've had my car for 3 days now, and so far I don't use the paddles. (Partially because I'm babying the car during break-in.) But I can assure you that they don't get in your way at all. Unless you grip the wheel at 9 and 3 where the wheel is precisely in the webbing of your thumb, and your fingers are extended, the paddles don't get in your way. So I'm not sure from where your hatred stems...

I didn't drive the car without SAT, so I can't tell you via personal A vs. B comparison if there's a difference in shift speed. I suspect there may be, because it's been widely reported/suspected -- but that might be the internet echo chamber at work.

I bought it for three concrete reasons, aside from the purported shift time benefits:
(1) It's cheap.
(3) The testing I did, and most of the reviews I read online, had the feature, and liked the experience. And so I opted for the known good vehicle configuration.

(4) It feels odd ordering a BMW without ticking most, if not all, of the performance-oriented options.
All that, and an added attraction for me was the thicker steering wheel.

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines
Old 09-08-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post

(1) It's cheap.

I simply don't like (or "hate") the way it looks on the steering wheel. Don't really know why I don't like it--I just don't. You believe it is aesthetically superior and I feel the opposite way. I'm ok with that--different strokes.

On the thickness of the steering wheel, the M-Sport steering wheel is plenty thick for me. Perhaps it's the same size that comes with SAT?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
I simply don't like (or "hate") the way it looks on the steering wheel. Don't really know why I don't like it--I just don't. You believe it is aesthetically superior and I feel the opposite way. I'm ok with that--different strokes.

On the thickness of the steering wheel, the M-Sport steering wheel is plenty thick for me. Perhaps it's the same size that comes with SAT?
Steering wheel thickness is not affected by sport auto. Msport and sport pkgs affect the thickness.

This the order of thickness:
Regular < sport pkg steering wheel < msport steering wheel.

99% people like the look and feel of the SAT.

For $500, it can adjust steering weight, shifting point, shifting quickness and throttle response. It is the best value. It does provide more values for non-msport owners since it gives normal/sport console button that non-msport car comes without.

Last edited by bodonx; 09-08-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post
Steering wheel thickness is not affected by sport auto. Msport and sport pkgs affect the thickness.

This the order of thickness:
Regular < sport pkg steering wheel < msport steering wheel.

99% people like the look and feel of the SAT.

For $500, it can adjust steering weight, shifting point, shifting quickness and throttle response. It is the best value. It does provide more values for non-msport owners since it gives normal/sport console button that non-msport car comes without.
If you have the M Sport and SAT is the Normal/Sport Button still there.. since the M Sport has DDC? Or is there no DDC if you get the SAT?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 97 Honda Accord
DDC is standard on all 2012 535i models. The rocker switch will give you the function either to be in Sport or ECO Pro mode. It doesn't specify anything about SAT.

Below is information from the Product Planning & Strategy Bulletin September Production Changes – Model Year 2012 5 Series Sedan and Gran Turismo: July 26, 2011

Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO – a button on the centre console enables the driver to select a new “ECO PRO” mode. ECO PRO enhances fuel efficiency by:
• Optimizing drive train, heating, air conditioning and electrical functions.
• Displaying driving tips on the iDrive screen to help conserve fuel.
• Displaying fuel saved as “bonus” miles added to the vehicle’s normal driving range.
2012 535i Alpine White | Oyster Black Dakota Interior | LiteSpeed Catback Exhaust system | M5 Rear Diffuser | Painted Calipers, Reflectors & Black Gloss Grill | FormulaOne Pinnacle Series Tint | Born on 1/30/12

Gre8tW8LL
Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
DDC is standard on all 2012 535i models. The rocker switch will give you the function either to be in Sport or ECO Pro mode. It doesn't specify anything about SAT.

Below is information from the Product Planning & Strategy Bulletin September Production Changes – Model Year 2012 5 Series Sedan and Gran Turismo: July 26, 2011

Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO – a button on the centre console enables the driver to select a new "ECO PRO" mode. ECO PRO enhances fuel efficiency by:
• Displaying fuel saved as "bonus" miles added to the vehicle's normal driving range.
With the standard rocker switch ie the DDC, is the transmission the same with and without SAT? With the DDC can you tick chassis only and not drivetrain (such that one left/right the stick for the sportier drivetrain which consumes more petrol)?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:

Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO – a button on the centre console enables the driver to select a new "ECO PRO" mode. ECO PRO enhances fuel efficiency by:
• Displaying fuel saved as "bonus" miles added to the vehicle's normal driving range.
What about 2011 models? I ordered M Sport and SAT.. Shouldn't the DDC button give the option for Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sport+? With SAT as well are those options still there?

Last edited by massyman; 09-09-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=It does provide more values for non-msport owners since it gives normal/sport console button that non-msport car comes without.[/QUOTE]

Can we infer from this that the only benefit of SAT in M-Sport models (including the 528i) is the addition of the paddles? I've read the manual and it's not as clear as it could be.

To repeat, in my M-Sport, I can't imagine a faster throttle response time or quicker transmission in Sport and Sport+ mode or in DS mode (turning the gear shifter to the left). Maybe it would be even better if I had SAT--I don't know. But the performance in S, S+ and/or DS modes is outstanding IMO with the M-Sport package.

For me it came down to whether I wanted the paddles on the steering wheel and I didn't.