Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: e91
Just been told no Verizon phones will work with BMW Office

Since I've posted questions about the subject previously, I wanted to share what I just learned. After taking a week to track down the answer, my BMW sales rep just called to tell me that BMW USA confirmed that Verizon does not currently have any phones that will work with BMW Office.

I find this both disappointing and frustrating. If one of the X3's frequently touted features doesn't work with the nation's largest wireless carrier, it should be clearly stated. At the very least, I would expect whoever is selling BMWs to have sufficient knowledge of the car’s features, especially ones like BMW Office that are heavily marketed by BMW and highlighted during test drives and sales pitches.
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
I don't understand that answer they gave you as the Mobile Office uses Bluetooth MAP profile technology. That has nothing to do with the carrier. If you have a Blackberry (and a few others) and it supports MAP Profiles then it should work.

If your device does not currently support MAP then I suggest you update the software. You may have to use a Beta that is not from your vendor but it shouldn't matter. I am fortunate enough to get most new BB models when they come out and the first thing I do is go to the forums and get the latest leak. Unless your phone is pretty old you should be able to get a version that supports MAP.

Both my BB's (Bold 9700 and Torch 9800) with BB software version 6 support MAP. That's the main reason I added the NAV unit to my order. I wanted the Office feature.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Don't blame BMW, blame Verizon for locking features of their devices.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM

That's why I suggested updating to a leaked version. As I have AT&T I can't be positive it will give you the MAP Profile feature but both of my phones have a leaked version from Europe and contain the feature.

It is a pretty simple process and there are a lot of helpful posts on blackberryforums.com

I would certainly start there.

Good Luck

-CR
Old 04-07-2011, 05:38 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
there has to be some people on here with a verizon blackberry

my mom's Tour 9630 is OS5.0 and doesnt have the Office option in the bluetooth settings under manage connections

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 PM

I dont think anyone with Verizon on here has come forward to say they got office to work. I'd love to be wrong on this.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkB View Post
I dont think anyone with Verizon on here has come forward to say they got office to work. I'd love to be wrong on this.
I updated my Verizon Blackberry Bold 9650 to OS 6.0 this afternoon. Office functions now work.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post
Don't blame BMW, blame Verizon for locking features of their devices.
That's like the pot calling the kettle black. BMW guards just about every aspect of their internal electronics.

For instance most of the major mfg of car alarms wont touch BMW because they wont show their schematics to anyone.

Pretty sad when they can't work with one of the largest cell phone companies in the world.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 04-09-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:52 AM

If that's true, FirstBMW, I'll be happy. I just got the BB 9650 with OS 6 yesterday. However, it would be shocking if the 9650 with OS 6 works, and no one at my dealership or allegedly (according to my dealer) at BMW USA knows.

Just to confirm, are you getting your emails/texts on your navigation screen?

It looks like I'll be taking delivery of my X3 in two weeks, so I'll be able to check for myself then.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I can't speak for Verizon and BB issues, but BMWs are constantly having trouble keeping up with iPhone software updates. Mobile phone manufacturers don't program their phones to work with any feature in your car other than standard bluetooth use. Any features that BMW programs their car to do with your phone is contingent on the phones software maintaining compatibility.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:38 PM

New OS should do the trick

Hi to all. I am new on this forum, although this is my third X3 (2005, 2007 and now 2011).

I had the same problems and upgraded the OS on my BB 9700 to OS 6 and the Office now works. However, since I am on BES and I also have a few other email accounts on the BB, the Office only recognizes the BES account. No amount of battery pulls seems to rectify this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to solve this?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8 Alpine/Oyster
My wife's brand new blackberry through Verizon works great. Unlike my iPhone 3.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
If that's true, FirstBMW, I'll be happy. I just got the BB 9650 with OS 6 yesterday. However, it would be shocking if the 9650 with OS 6 works, and no one at my dealership or allegedly (according to my dealer) at BMW USA knows.

It looks like I'll be taking delivery of my X3 in two weeks, so I'll be able to check for myself then.
Emails and SMS text messages work with the BMW Office function. OS 6.0 does appear to have a few bugs.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 PM

Eric2011, what specifically works with your wife's Verizon BB? Do all of the Office functions works (emails, texts, etc)?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8 Alpine/Oyster
Emails work for sure. Not 100% sure on Texts though.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 328i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyffer View Post
there has to be some people on here with a verizon blackberry

my mom's Tour 9630 is OS5.0 and doesnt have the Office option in the bluetooth settings under manage connections
I have a Verizon Bold 9650. Just got a brand new 328i with navigation. My Bold works with BMW Office. I get my contacts and emails (no calendar though). Emails being read to me while driving is cool.

You simply need OS 6.0x for the blackberry. The provider has nothing to do with it.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:

My BMW dealer customer advisor told me they recently had training on Office, and they were told only a specific model phone or phones work. This does not appear to be the case and the training is wrong. It appears that OS 6.0 is the key. My Verizon BB 9650 works with Office -- I get all my emails. (Weirdly, no calendar though). I think the training for BMW dealers is based on phones that were originally issued with OS 6.0 (as opposed to phones that had 5.x, but were upgraded (like mine). The dealer gets bad training -- therefore they give out bad info to us (the customers).

Last edited by caesarp; 04-20-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 PM

Apparently calendar will only work with the BB Torch. Why?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2011 View Post
Emails work for sure. Not 100% sure on Texts though.
AAARGH. Office sort of works on my Verizon Blackberry 9650, but ONLY for emails already on the blackberry itself at the time the car is started. If new emails come in when I'm driving, they do not show up in Office.

This kind of defeats the whole purpose, which was to be able to view/hear new messages via your car as they come in.

The MAP profile on my blackberry (which is the bluetooth profile that allows Office to even work), shows a red X for "new message notifications".

What does your wife see in the MAP profile (under bluetooth connections) on her blackberry?

Does she get NEW emails showing up in Office while she is driving. Can you test that? Send her an email while she is driving and have her check to see if it shows up in Office under the messages list.

Last edited by caesarp; 04-29-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
My BMW dealer customer advisor told me they recently had training on Office, and they were told only a specific model phone or phones work. This does not appear to be the case and the training is wrong. It appears that OS 6.0 is the key. My Verizon BB 9650 works with Office -- I get all my emails. (Weirdly, no calendar though). I think the training for BMW dealers is based on phones that were originally issued with OS 6.0 (as opposed to phones that had 5.x, but were upgraded (like mine). The dealer gets bad training -- therefore they give out bad info to us (the customers).

it's not bad training - it is the info that BMW is getting from the phone mfrs...this will work out but will take time for the mfrs to get on board and release their code and firewalls. It is a work in progress...it will get settled out. It is far better than the phone integration issues of 2002-2004....You will also see some progress on the Apps side too as things get worked out...leading edge tech is always a work in progress. Ask Vista owners.

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 04-29-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
it's not bad training - it is the info that BMW is getting from the phone mfrs...this will work out but will take time for the mfrs to get on board and release their code and firewalls. It is a work in progress...it will get settled out. It is far better than the phone integration issues of 2002-2004....You will also see some stutter on the Apps side as things get worked out...leading edge tech is always a work in progress. Ask Vista owners.
I hope Bluetooth its on board as well. I think there is a problem with the MAP (Message Access Profile) - the Bluetooth profile that allows this to work -- at least the way Verizon is implementing it.

My Verizon phone (which has MAP), will display any EXISTING messages via the BMW Office function, but will not display any NEW messages that are sent to me/my phone while I am driving (once the pairing has already taken place). Which defeats the whole point of emails via BMW Office, since new ones that come while driving are not being displayed on iDrive.

The New Messages notification service as part of MAP appears to be not working on my Verizon phone. There have been other reports of this as well.

I'm sure Verizon, BMW and Bluetooth will point the finger at each other.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Real Car PC

Send a message via AIM to wnrussell Send a message via MSN to wnrussell Send a message via Yahoo to wnrussell Send a message via Skype™ to wnrussell
Mein Auto: 535i w/ Real PC
Class Action?

Anybody in? I usually post in the phone forums.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ml#post1217937
Old 09-04-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnrussell View Post
Anybody in? I usually post in the phone forums.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ml#post1217937
Verizon Blackberry's have MAP. Are you saying Androids's don't?

Class actions are a scam. Its for lawyers to get large fees.

Consumers gets peanuts.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Real Car PC

Send a message via AIM to wnrussell Send a message via MSN to wnrussell Send a message via Yahoo to wnrussell Send a message via Skype™ to wnrussell
Mein Auto: 535i w/ Real PC
Droid Bionis

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
Verizon Blackberry's have MAP. Are you saying Androids's don't?
I think we are good with the new Bionic released this week on Verizon.

BLUETOOTH® TECHNOLOGY5
Stereo BluetoothVersion 2.1 + EDR (support profiles A2DP, AVRCP, GAP, GAVDP, GOEP, HFP, HID, HSP, MAP, OPP, PAN, PBAP, SPP)

Last edited by wnrussell; 09-10-2011 at 12:11 PM.