Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Cargo space?

So my '06 325i is starting to run long in the tooth at 221,000 miles and we're wanting to get an SUV for our next car. We have two 90lb German Shepherds now, and a baby planned for next year.

My wife took a look at the Hyundai Santa Fe last night and really likes the cargo room (her most important feature). I'm really wanting to stay in the BMW family, so what's the cargo space like in the X3? Do the seats fold all the way down? Can dogs lay down in the back? I can't get any reliable source that tells exactly how much cargo volume there actually is...

I know the obvious answer is to just go look at one, but we live in West Virginia and it's quite a trek to DC

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 09-07-2011, 08:00 AM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
Enough space for your 2 dogs. Rear seats fold 40:20:40, there are dog harnesses available, rear seats seat covers, etc. etc. Take a look at BMW USA Accessories site.

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The dogs yes, the dogs and baby no. There is not enough room in the back for the dogs with the back seat up and the infant seat installed. They would "fit" but it would be a difficult ride for them. Look elsewhere, if you have to remain in the BMW family the X5 is a little larger, but not THAT much bigger. A better choice would be the XC90, Buick Enclave/Chev Traverse/GMC Acadia, new Dodge Durango (built on the "M-class" underpinnings), or the Hyundai Veracruz among many. The impedimenta involved with a new baby is daunting and your wife will insist that it all be carried on every outing (its a nesting thing) the dogs will be tolerated but will be second class citizens when the new one arrives. With luck you can avoid a --- mini van!

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-07-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
If you are adding a baby within the next year, plus 2 90-lb dogs and assuming you have to carry all the stuff ppl take with babies these days (overkill, imo) - then the X3 will be too small in the back to be comfortable. I'm not even sure that the X5 would work....like it or not, might be minivan time

I can't believe how much stuff ppl pack along for babies these days....
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: mazdaspeed3
Just get a car-top carrier, all these vehicles have roof rails standard now anyway.

We did two adults, one infant and 60lb lab in my wife's 2011 Kia Sorento quite comfortably- of course luggage, baby stuff, etc was on the roof.

It doesn't matter how big the cargo space is in the back because no matter what you're not going to put anything luggage or anything baby back there with them so the bottom line is if the dogs can fit and lie down in the back of whatever vehicle, just throw something on top for long trips and you'll be fine for cross town stuff with baby and two dogs.

Get what you like, make it work and realize that if you aren't the type that packs light then it probably is time for the mini-van.

my 2c
Old 09-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
We have 1x 90lb-er and a baby seat. There's plenty of room in the trunk for the dog. Two might be ok, or might be tight - depends on the dog's comfort level. BUT, if you but the booster seat behind the front passenger seat and have the 40/20/40 split rear seat you can fold down the middle 20 and the driver's side 40 to extend the dogs' space. If for some reason you don't want to have seats folded down you would probably have to upsize to the X5. Most of the X3/X5 interior size difference in is the trunk space.

p.s. Our dog, for some reason, likes to be in the X3's trunk with the privacy shade closed
Old 09-07-2011, 04:05 PM

Folding down one part of the back seat would certainly give the dogs more room but it would also put them in direct contact with the infant. Some people (the wife!) would not tolerate that with a newborn. Best to keep them separated by seat backs at least IMHO.

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-07-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Folding down one part of the back seat would certainly give the dogs more room but it would also put them in direct contact with the infant. Some people (the wife!) would not tolerate that with a newborn. Best to keep them separated by seat backs at least IMHO.
Loose dogs in cars KILL if any sort of sudden stop is involved, they need "Dog Cages" simple as that.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:44 AM

Excellent point -- cages are really the only way to safely carry a dog in the back. However many do not use the cages, and use "teathers" instead which contain the dog and keep it from flying forward in the event of a sudden stop. Two very large dog cages would probably not fit in the back of an X3 or X5 with the rear seat back upright. You would need a minivan or large SUV (Tahoe/Enclave/Expedition/Durango/Borrego etc.) for that IMHO.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Thanks for all the feedback! We're going to bring one of our crates with us tonight to the dealership and see how it fits. With that 40/20/40 split, we can probably get two dog crates in there with the two seats down and leave one for the baby seat.

I think we would rarely travel with both dogs AND the baby, as we usually kennel the dogs when we make any kind of long trip. But it's nice to know that we could!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverequiem View Post
Thanks for all the feedback! We're going to bring one of our crates with us tonight to the dealership and see how it fits. With that 40/20/40 split, we can probably get two dog crates in there with the two seats down and leave one for the baby seat.

I think we would rarely travel with both dogs AND the baby, as we usually kennel the dogs when we make any kind of long trip. But it's nice to know that we could!
-If you're concerned about loose objects in the event of a crash, don't forget to tether the cage. Personally I'd rather get hit by a dog than a hard cage with the weight of the dog in it.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 AM

Let us know how the crates fit and if there is any room left over for the baby's impedimentia that has to go along with the little one.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverequiem View Post
So my '06 325i is starting to run long in the tooth at 221,000 miles and we're wanting to get an SUV for our next car. We have two 90lb German Shepherds now, and a baby planned for next year.

My wife took a look at the Hyundai Santa Fe last night and really likes the cargo room (her most important feature). I'm really wanting to stay in the BMW family, so what's the cargo space like in the X3? Do the seats fold all the way down? Can dogs lay down in the back? I can't get any reliable source that tells exactly how much cargo volume there actually is...

I know the obvious answer is to just go look at one, but we live in West Virginia and it's quite a trek to DC

Thanks!
Neither the X3, X5, or the Volvo XC90 will have enough room for your needs. You will need a minivan to provide enough room. I just bought an MSport X3 and there is only enough room for 2 small dogs(Parson Russell Terriers) in crates behind the rear seat. My wife shows Agility Dogs and uses a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan with Stow & Go (rear 2 rows of seats fold into the floor for a large flat cargo space. I am a veterinarian and also use a 08 Grand Caravan for making house calls. I bought the X3 to replace the GC for my practice as it has sufficient room for my needs and I wanted a SUV that came somewhat close to my 10 Z4 35i in handling & performance. I have retired the 08 GC and it is for sale if you are interested(It has every option available).
Old 09-09-2011, 03:28 PM

Doc, I suspect the Tahoe/Suburban types would also have more than enough room as well as the mini vans. But that might be overkill, still there would be lots of room!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
-If you're concerned about loose objects in the event of a crash, don't forget to tether the cage. Personally I'd rather get hit by a dog than a hard cage with the weight of the dog in it.
The cages are made to fit the car, they can never move, I have trained and worked dogs for 40 years and used cages, never moved.