Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crenninger View Post
you mean for the door speakers?
That is what I am looking at right now, I have a broken speaker that needs replacing - I was just wondering where the extra 2 speakers where and if it's worth doing at the same time.

I won't for now.

thank you
If you simply scroll up a bit, you will see a picture I posted with speakers mounted on the door panels. The panels are designed to accomodate a 4 inch driver and a 1 inch tweeter.

The business level sound system only uses 4 inch full range speakers while the improved one uses a 4 inch driver with a seperate tweeter.

When you replace door speakers it's like replacing tires. Make sure you do them all and they match. this is so they match electrically, and will put an equal load on the amplfier.

Also, I respectfully disagree that mounting co-axial type speakers (underneath the seats) will give you an added benefit over the mid bass subs. Bass frequencies are non-directional so where you mount them is not critical. Once you move up the audio spectrum to higher frequencies placement can be very important. So unless you plan on going really hi end (Boston Acoustic Pro series, etc...) I don't see much value in placing anything but another set of low profile subs under there. Kicker and Pioneer make a set that will plop right in, but they're really not much better than what is under there.

You are better off running a completely seperate sub in the trunk. And that is a whole other discussion. Happy to address seperately if you like.

For now I recommend the easy replacement of just the door speakers. I have posted pics in the DIY as well as info. The next time around I think I may do a video to give greater detail.

Please post or pm any other questions after reading through the material on this thread and happy to help.

I tend to lean toward giving cover-all advice that is not to technical unless specifically asked.

Cheers,

EE
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 09-12-2011 at 07:48 PM.