Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Need Confirmation - Is N55 free of HPFP Issue?

So anyone know that the 2011 and Up models, particularly the 135i and 335i, are free of HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) issue? We know the N54 is designed to have HPFP problems but what about N55? Problem gone?

And is the car overall reliable?

Thanks,
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed3KING View Post
We know the N54 is designed to have HPFP problems
Would you care to provide a reference for that assertion?

Tom
Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post

Tom
Well, at least that is my assumption. Since just about all N54 135i/335i's are getting HPFP failures the manufacturer would have to design it to make it fail.. If not, then this problem should be non-existent, well except for due to wear after 100k miles.

Sorry if my assumption was a bit offending. You guys are way cooler than the Nissan and Honda forums. They are absolute crap...

So N55 version no longer has HPFP issue, right?

thanks!

Last edited by mazdaspeed3KING; 09-06-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:35 PM

There have been reports of N55 HPFP failures - check both the 1 and 3 series forums. But since (unfortunately) there are no available statistics on either N54 or N55 fuel pump problems, no one outside of BMW has any idea how many units are affected.

So I don't understand how you can assume it was designed as a faulty part.

Tom
Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
I'd say it's LIKELY the problem has gone away, but not definitively. There have been reports of HPFP failures, that's true... but generally I would say the amount of posts I see on that subject are about in-line with the number of failures you'd typically expect from any manufactured product. It happens.

However, the N55 is new. That means there just aren't that many out there relatively speaking and so stats aren't really terribly easy to come by. I mean, how long after the N54 did we start hearing serious rumblings? 18 months to 2 years judging by my admittedly rather faulty memory. There may have been a few before then that we could attribute to HPFP failure in hindsight, but again; nothing definitive.

Me, I'm getting my 135i in a month and just not worrying about it. If it fails, BMW will fix it. Plain and simple... and to be honest that's about as good as you can get with ANY car.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 09-07-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
So I don't understand how you can assume it was designed as a faulty part.

Tom
I take back what I said. It was my sarcasm.... I admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
I'd say it's LIKELY the problem has gone away, but not definitively. There have been reports of HPFP failures, that's true... but generally I would say the amount of posts I see on that subject are about in-line with the number of failures you'd typically expect from any manufactured product. It happens.

However, the N55 is new. That means there just aren't that many out there relatively speaking and so stats aren't really terribly easy to come by. I mean, how long after the N54 did we start hearing serious rumblings? 18 months to 2 years judging by my admittedly rather faulty memory. There may have been a few before then that we could attribute to HPFP failure in hindsight, but again; nothing definitive.

Me, I'm getting my 135i in a month and just not worrying about it. If it fails, BMW will fix it. Plain and simple... and to be honest that's about as good as you can get with ANY car.
Thanks for the insight!

Last edited by mazdaspeed3KING; 09-07-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I take back what I said. It was my sarcasm.... I admit.
Thanks. As a BMW owner for over 15 years, I hate to see resale values slip because folks read that BMW's are unreliable - especially by design.

While I prefer the driving characteristics of BMW's normally aspirated I6 to the turbo, I wouldn't eliminate the 135i or 335i from consideration because of the HPFP, as BMW has certainly stepped up to the plate with extended warranties and recalls.

I hope you find the Bimmer you want - you'll enjoy it.

Tom

Last edited by Tom K.; 09-07-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 PM
energetik9

Mein Auto: 911 Carrera 4S
Quote:
So anyone know that the 2011 and Up models, particularly the 135i and 335i, are free of HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) issue? We know the N54 is designed to have HPFP problems but what about N55? Problem gone?

Thanks,
Designed to have HPFP failures?????

I think the issue has been mostly solved. Not to say that any component of a car might not fail. I will tell you, as a former 335i owner that experienced a HPFP failure, it wasn't as significant of an issue as the forum makes it out to be. My car had symptoms, I took it in the next day and had it back that evening. Don't let all the drama deter you.

What made it a minor issue for me, like almost any issue, is that I took it to the dealer right away and had it addressed. I didn't drive the car around for a week hoping it would go away. I'm always amazed when some x35 owner talked about symptoms appearing and then four+ days later they were trying to decide if they should take it to the dealer. Some things you can wait to address, this is not one of them.....
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...

"In car rock, paper, scissors 911 beats Prius everytime."
Old 09-10-2011, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
N54 engine owners should have received the following letter from BMW.

extended HPFP warranty 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=395333

Thanks to (ilhambirkan) for posting this letter. My son received the letter for his 2009 135i convertable.

I would think that if the N55 engine has HPFP failures down the line BMW would also extend the warranty just like on they did on N54 engine.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive Coupe
Quote:

Tom
The HPPF was recalled.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks. As a BMW owner for over 15 years, I hate to see resale values slip because folks read that BMW's are unreliable - especially by design.

While I prefer the driving characteristics of BMW's normally aspirated I6 to the turbo, I wouldn't eliminate the 135i or 335i from consideration because of the HPFP, as BMW has certainly stepped up to the plate with extended warranties and recalls.

I hope you find the Bimmer you want - you'll enjoy it.

Tom
You care about resale BMW does not or they would not unleash this N54 HPFP on the public. Unfortunately the love affair is one sided. There's nothing wrong with that!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:48 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Troll.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammat View Post
The HPPF was recalled.
And that proves it was designed to fail?

Please provide your source, not your non-existent logic.

Tom
Old 09-11-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
And that proves it was designed to fail?

Please provide your source, not your non-existent logic.

Tom
Open your mind, wether it was by design or failure of design does not matter, it failed and they could not adjust the design to prevent a recall, so it was by design. My source is the fact that they could not fix a faulty design that needed a recall. The most important source though are the hundreds of people who almost got killed when this thing failed on the highway.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Open your mind, wether it was by design or failure of design does not matter, it failed and they could not adjust the design to prevent a recall, so it was by design. My source is the fact that they could not fix a faulty design that needed a recall. The most important source though are the hundreds of people who almost got killed when this thing failed on the highway.
A design failure by accident is a different matter than a design failure by intent. If it were the latter, you would see class action suits being successfully prosecuted against BMW which has not been the case.

Also, was this BMW's design or that of a supplier such as Bosch?

And your source for the "hundreds of people who almost got killed"? Every report I've read has the car going into limp mode with reduced power - certainly an annoyance but hardly life endangering. Exactly how many HPFP related fatalities have there been?

Tom
Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:

Thanks,
The latest revised HPFP for the N54 and N55 are the same part number: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....ur=&series=E82
So any N54 with a warranty replaced pump #13517616170 will have the same HPFP failure rate as the N55 cars with the same pump from the factory.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: 911 Carrera 4S
Quote:
Point one, check your use of logic. You are not making a valid argument. Just for your reference, the definition of "by design" is with intention. You might want to consider that before you continue your position.

Point two, "hundreds of people that almost got killed?" Do you have any specific source for this or is this just speculation? If you take this as fact, then why are you interested in the car?
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...

"In car rock, paper, scissors 911 beats Prius everytime."
Old 09-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Is the HPFP failure a pita, yes. Has it been fixed to the extent that it won't die any more often than any other part? It appears so to me. IMHO it was overblown in terms of the numbers. Of course BMW does not help by not releasing the numbers, but to read forums and the media you would think it had a 50% fail rate. I don't know the failure rate is but my guess is less than 5% on the old HPFP and a lot less than that on the new model. N4S