Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 128 convertible
Tire Help Plz

I purchased my 128i about 2 years ago. I drive a ton for work and already have 45,000 miles on it. On the car came runflat tires which I also purchased tire insurance for. Little did I realize A. How expensive run flats are to replace and B. How often I would have to replace them. Earlier this year I had to replace the back 2 tires (this was around 30,000 miles) and now it looks like I have to replace the front ones within the next month or so. Please forgive my silly question but I am not extremely knowledgable in cars and feel that when I go to the dealership they, of course, want to sell me the most expensive. Do I need to replace the tires with runflats or can I replace with cheaper high performance tires? I'm not talking $50 tires here, but almost $400-500 each for tires is a bit much for me!
If I can replace with other tires is it bad to have 2 types of tires on the front and 2 in the back until I need to replace the back again and can get the same as the front? I find that my car is beginning to shake and I am guessing the balance is off which probably ties to the tires in some way so I think I need to deal with this issue sooner rather than later. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Try to avoid having different make or model tires on front & rear axles as some unpredictable handling may result - especially in an emergency situation.

Unless you must have run flats, you might consider replacing all 4 with Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires. Price (not from a dealer) should be around $700 for all 4 and after 11,000 miles on my 128i 'vert, I'd say they are well worth it. Alternatively, you could replace just the fronts with the same RFTs, but you would have the same problem in another 15k when the rears will be needed.

Don't forget to buy a small 12 volt compressor & plug kit or sealant if you opt for non RFTs.

And if you don't have a good tire shop in your area, try Tirerack.com.

Tom
Old 09-14-2011, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4 3.0si,11 128Msport
Agree with Tom above...and I would say you have gotten more than good wear out of them with that kind of mileage on a 1er. It's of course not age but mileage and heat and cold cycles the tires have gone thru. Personally, and other might disagree...I would be happy with that mileage wear. And my counsel, is buy the very best tire you can afford...you only have what may 16 sq inches of patch at each corner that is between you and the speeds you are driving and the pavement. I have seen folks here in our area, spend a lot on their Bims, and then buy cheap tires. That does not make sense to me..***** the best you can afford.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 128 convertible
Thank you both for your help. I do drive a ton (about 80 miles RT each day for work) so I want to make sure I have dependable tires, but at the same time I just wonder if RFTs are necessary. I don't want to buy cheap tires so maybe the recommended ones are a good alternative. It's just so intimidating to go into the dealership and have them say I need this and that and really don't know what is true and what is trying to be upsold.
Anyways thanks again!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
My son has Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires on his 135i. Recomended by consumer reports.

Also 2nd place on a Car and Driver road test.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10

A set of 4 $372.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ype=bestseller

Like tom said:

"Don't forget to buy a small 12 volt compressor & plug kit or sealant if you opt for non RFTs."

Last edited by Norm37; 09-14-2011 at 02:12 PM.