Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Jrcanes55 Jrcanes55 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 62
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW M3
DIY For Removal Of Intake Manifold and PCV Valve Replacement

So I recently found out my PCV Valve, Cyclone Separator,or Crank Case Ventilator. Whatever you want to call it started putting oil in my intake manifold. I took some pics the first time I took my intake out and posted them. I soon decided to just go ahead and do a DIY because I like doing stuff like that. So I got my parts and started.

Here is where i'll start. With tools.



If you can't read the blurbs I put in the picture, from right to left, you will need, a medium sized Philips head screwdriver, a small flathead, a small 10mm socket, a small 11mm socket, a long thin 10mm socket, two extension, one short, one long, and a ratchet. You'll also want to get some plastic bags and a sharpie and make sure you keep all the screws and nuts labeled so you don't mess anything up during re-installation.



First step is to take the small flat head and pull the clamps out from the top. Be careful when you do this. If you break one you're gonna have to get a new air-box if you want to fix it. As you can see my dad broke mine because he was to impatient and tried to pry from the bottom. (This was a while ago, all the work depicted in this DIY was done by me, I didn't break anything.)


After that you need to unscrew the two nuts on the cruise control actuator (red circles) and disconnect the air intake duct on the front (red rectangle.) Finally unplug the cable from the actuator (yellow pentagon,) and move the cable to the side. It unscrews counterclockwise and pulls out. Finally lift out the air-box and put it somewhere safe.



Next is the Mass Airflow Sensor. First unplug the cable (red rectangle) in the same way you took out the plug on the Cruise Control Actuator; set that aside as well. Then simply unscrew the hose clamp and pull it out.


Next is the ASC controller and the other thing like it. Just unscrew the tops and pull off. Same for both sets. Make sure you put some pressure on the screws. They should be pretty tight and it's easy to strip the screw, also make sure you keep the screws in separate labeled bags, they are different sizes.



Next is the intake boot. This is VERY fragile, especially if it's old. Unscrew the hose clamp (red circle) and then use the mini flat head and Slowly pry it off where the red rectangle is. It's on fairly tight so be careful. Don't try to pull it out yet as there is a hose underneath that needs to be disconnected.


To disconnect the hose take the small flathead and pry it out on the end closest to the boot. Be careful so you don't tear the boot. Now take the boot out set it aside.


Next, ASC Throttle body. This is straight forward, unscrew the two bolts. Use the 10mm small or long socket, no extension. then just set the throttle body to the side. DO NOT disconnect the cable from the throttle body. The body just slides out, it has a black plastic protector that sits the back, that is connected to the actual throttle body. Don't take it off. It's safe to just leave it connected.


Last part is the actual throttle body. It is held on by a bracket, the bracket has four bolts (red circles). You will need the long thin 10mm socket to get these out. Just unscrew them and remove the bracket. The throttle body should stay held up by the two hoses that connect on the left side. You don't need to disconnect the hoses just move the throttle body out of the way. As you can probably see there is an oil deposit on the throttle body itself (purple circle.) That's what has been causing the oil burning smell in the engine compartment.


This is the back side of the throttle body. As you can see, there is a nice layer of oil on it, and the orange ring around it.


O.K. so the intake is off. Next is the Alternator cooling intake and duct. First you have to get the air scoop thing off. It's simple. unscrew the six screws on the plastic part (red circles,) and disconnect the air duct in the back (red square.) The duct disconnects by pulling towards the engine, or away from your body if you are facing the front of the car.
The plastic part comes out by pushing out, away from you're body and then pulling up. It's not hard at all.



Next is the other end of the air duct. Just unscrew the hose clamp (red circle,) and lift off.



Last bit before you start on the intake manifold is the engine covers. It's simple, use the small flathead to take the caps off the nuts and use either of the 10mm sockets to get them off (red and blue circles.) Take the fuel rail cover off first. Then, unscrew the oil cap and pull the engine cover off. Make sure you put the oil cap back on, you don't want any crap getting in there.


When you're all done it should look like this.

This is as far as I got. I'll post again later with more instructions. I'm waiting for my PCV valve to arrive.

If you don't know what or where the PCV valve is. Here is what it looks like.

So i'm not 100% sure this is correct but I believe the PCV valve sucks uncombusted gases out of the crank case, through the hose with the arrow and puts them back through the combustion chamber. I think the explanation for the oil being sucked in is that it runs through the dipstick and it is somehow sucking it up through there. Again i'm not 100% sure so correct me if i'm wrong.
__________________

Last edited by Jrcanes55; 10-12-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 PM
fun2drive's Avatar
fun2drive fun2drive is offline
BMWCCA 149159
Location: Panhandle of Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,621
Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Good jo so far. I thought you had this done but the pictures will surely help someone else.
Yes the oil drains into the dip stick and fumes are fed back into the intake. What happens is gunk build up in the bottom of the separator and plugs the
drain line. Better to just replace the thing as well as the hose to the dip stick. Great pictures of the separator by the way. Also I don't know if you pulled the bracket off but if not that will make life much easier.
Good luck and looking to see more pics. You can keep the old separator and if you know a place that has a parts cleaner you can clean the gunk out if you run it long enough.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Jrcanes55 Jrcanes55 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 62
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW M3
Thanks. I haven't got all the pieces yet I'm waiting on the separator but I will post back as soon as I can. I have a parts cleaner at my house. If you clean it out can it be re-used?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-18-2010, 06:58 AM
khestee khestee is offline
95 325is
Location: N.C.
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 95 325is
Great job and picks. When do you plan to finish?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Jrcanes55 Jrcanes55 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 62
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW M3
Well the car has to sit for over 8 hours before I can disconnect the fuel lines and I have to get the BMW tool to disconnect them and I'm playing hockey every weekend until Christmas so hopefully over my Christmas break.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-20-2011, 04:33 PM
enritro enritro is offline
Registered User
Location: argentina
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: bmw 328i cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrcanes55 View Post
So I recently found out my PCV Valve, Cyclone Separator,or Crank Case Ventilator. Whatever you want to call it started putting oil in my intake manifold. I took some pics the first time I took my intake out and posted them. I soon decided to just go ahead and do a DIY because I like doing stuff like that. So I got my parts and started.

Here is where i'll start. With tools.



If you can't read the blurbs I put in the picture, from right to left, you will need, a medium sized Philips head screwdriver, a small flathead, a small 10mm socket, a small 11mm socket, a long thin 10mm socket, two extension, one short, one long, and a ratchet. You'll also want to get some plastic bags and a sharpie and make sure you keep all the screws and nuts labeled so you don't mess anything up during re-installation.



First step is to take the small flat head and pull the clamps out from the top. Be careful when you do this. If you break one you're gonna have to get a new air-box if you want to fix it. As you can see my dad broke mine because he was to impatient and tried to pry from the bottom. (This was a while ago, all the work depicted in this DIY was done by me, I didn't break anything.)


After that you need to unscrew the two nuts on the cruise control actuator (red circles) and disconnect the air intake duct on the front (red rectangle.) Finally unplug the cable from the actuator (yellow pentagon,) and move the cable to the side. It unscrews counterclockwise and pulls out. Finally lift out the air-box and put it somewhere safe.



Next is the Mass Airflow Sensor. First unplug the cable (red rectangle) in the same way you took out the plug on the Cruise Control Actuator; set that aside as well. Then simply unscrew the hose clamp and pull it out.


Next is the ASC controller and the other thing like it. Just unscrew the tops and pull off. Same for both sets. Make sure you put some pressure on the screws. They should be pretty tight and it's easy to strip the screw, also make sure you keep the screws in separate labeled bags, they are different sizes.



Next is the intake boot. This is VERY fragile, especially if it's old. Unscrew the hose clamp (red circle) and then use the mini flat head and Slowly pry it off where the red rectangle is. It's on fairly tight so be careful. Don't try to pull it out yet as there is a hose underneath that needs to be disconnected.


To disconnect the hose take the small flathead and pry it out on the end closest to the boot. Be careful so you don't tear the boot. Now take the boot out set it aside.


Next, ASC Throttle body. This is straight forward, unscrew the two bolts. Use the 10mm small or long socket, no extension. then just set the throttle body to the side. DO NOT disconnect the cable from the throttle body. The body just slides out, it has a black plastic protector that sits the back, that is connected to the actual throttle body. Don't take it off. It's safe to just leave it connected.


Last part is the actual throttle body. It is held on by a bracket, the bracket has four bolts (red circles). You will need the long thin 10mm socket to get these out. Just unscrew them and remove the bracket. The throttle body should stay held up by the two hoses that connect on the left side. You don't need to disconnect the hoses just move the throttle body out of the way. As you can probably see there is an oil deposit on the throttle body itself (purple circle.) That's what has been causing the oil burning smell in the engine compartment.


This is the back side of the throttle body. As you can see, there is a nice layer of oil on it, and the orange ring around it.


O.K. so the intake is off. Next is the Alternator cooling intake and duct. First you have to get the air scoop thing off. It's simple. unscrew the six screws on the plastic part (red circles,) and disconnect the air duct in the back (red square.) The duct disconnects by pulling towards the engine, or away from your body if you are facing the front of the car.
The plastic part comes out by pushing out, away from you're body and then pulling up. It's not hard at all.



Next is the other end of the air duct. Just unscrew the hose clamp (red circle,) and lift off.



Last bit before you start on the intake manifold is the engine covers. It's simple, use the small flathead to take the caps off the nuts and use either of the 10mm sockets to get them off (red and blue circles.) Take the fuel rail cover off first. Then, unscrew the oil cap and pull the engine cover off. Make sure you put the oil cap back on, you don't want any crap getting in there.


When you're all done it should look like this.

This is as far as I got. I'll post again later with more instructions. I'm waiting for my PCV valve to arrive.

If you don't know what or where the PCV valve is. Here is what it looks like.

So i'm not 100% sure this is correct but I believe the PCV valve sucks uncombusted gases out of the crank case, through the hose with the arrow and puts them back through the combustion chamber. I think the explanation for the oil being sucked in is that it runs through the dipstick and it is somehow sucking it up through there. Again i'm not 100% sure so correct me if i'm wrong.

Hola! Soy nuevo en el foro. Un saludo para todos. Soy de Argentina.
Muy bueno éste post. Lamentablemente no puedo ver las fotos. ¿Puedes actualizarlas para que se vean? Las necesito para hacer el trabajo en mi coche. Gracias. Un saludo.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-24-2011, 02:34 PM
bmw-mania bmw-mania is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,340
Mein Auto: BMW
Enrito,
en primer lugar, ¡bienvenido! saludos desde California.
Él no puede enviar las imágenes debido a su "ancho de banda se excede".
Y no hay necesidad de "cita" los mensajes largos con las imágenes al responder.
Que sería mejor solicitar las imágenes enviadas a usted.
No los españoles demasiados hablando aquí .. trate de un traductor en línea.
Le deseo la mejor de las suertes .. por favor hágamelo saber si me pueden ayudar.
Cheers mi amigo!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Jrcanes55 Jrcanes55 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 62
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by enritro View Post
Hola! Soy nuevo en el foro. Un saludo para todos. Soy de Argentina.
Muy bueno éste post. Lamentablemente no puedo ver las fotos. ¿Puedes actualizarlas para que se vean? Las necesito para hacer el trabajo en mi coche. Gracias. Un saludo.
Lo ciento, Mi Photobucket esté suspendido. Pero el problema está resuelto.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
bmw-mania bmw-mania is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,340
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrcanes55 View Post
Lo ciento, Mi Photobucket esté suspendido. Pero el problema está resuelto.


Es tan divertido! Usted me hizo tirar un taco en un mexicano!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Jrcanes55 Jrcanes55 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 62
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW M3
Haha lol dude I only made it through Spanish 3 gimme a break.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-13-2011, 11:40 AM
bmw-mania bmw-mania is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,340
Mein Auto: BMW
Its OK..

You still win.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-13-2011, 02:37 PM
petriej's Avatar
petriej petriej is offline
Cruising 280 Top Down
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,088
Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Wait, what did the mexican do with the taco after you threw it at him?
__________________

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 PM
bmw-mania bmw-mania is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,340
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Wait, what did the mexican do with the taco after you threw it at him?
En primer lugar era como "¿qué coño?"

Entonces, se dio cuenta de que tengo la carne de tacos en su Nike Cortez.


Le dije que todo era debido a un gringo tuvo problemas con su Photobucket.
Me compró una cerveza fría, ahumados, y luego procedió a hacer el baile del sombrero.



Y, me mostró a su hermana como "cortar una alfombra"

Last edited by bmw-mania; 09-16-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-16-2011, 06:09 PM
petriej's Avatar
petriej petriej is offline
Cruising 280 Top Down
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,088
Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
__________________

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cyclone separator, e36 m3, intake manifold, pcv valve


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms