Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 535i sport-premium-Nav
Intrument lights

Does any body help me how to keep the odometer instrument lights on during day time when the headlights or parking lights are off
Ads by Google
Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Banned

nobody?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
My guess is you may have a brightness setting issue. Have you tried adjusting the brightness?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

tried everything played with it for long time and no manual instructions either
Old 09-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_ACURA View Post
Does any body help me how to keep the odometer instrument lights on during day time when the headlights or parking lights are off
Why? What's the problem?

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

I was wondering how to turn the lights ON in the speedometer- tachometer panel when the parking lights or headlights are ON are off during driving. I keep my DRL on but the instrument panel lights are OFF
I see your beautiful 535i is August built so as mine, i was wondering is there any special about this since you have mention in your signature
Old 09-16-2011, 01:29 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Do you keep your refrigerator light on when the door is shut, too?

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 09-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Quote:
I was wondering how to turn the lights ON in the speedometer- tachometer panel when the parking lights or headlights are ON are off during driving. I keep my DRL on but the instrument panel lights are OFF
I see your beautiful 535i is August built so as mine, i was wondering is there any special about this since you have mention in your signature
Thanks for the compliment on the car.

Still not 100% sure of what's happening, but I'll run down an idea...

I also have the DRL setting ticked in iDrive.

But what's your headlamp dial physically set to? I have my set to "0" during the day, and the instrument panel is a bright, clear white. If you have it dialed to the Automatic setting, the sensor for the lights might be mis-reading the conditions, and so your car might have it headlights on during the day -- which will set your panel's lights to orange/amber. Furthermore, if that's happening, then the instrument brightness dial to the right of the headlamp switch will further control how bright/dim the panel (and the ambient lighting) is.

(There are many threads on how the sensitivity of the automatic headlights feature leaves something to be desired.)

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter

Last edited by planet; 09-16-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
I really am having a hard time understanding what you're trying to accomplish. You want the panel to be orange at all times?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535iX
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post
Thanks for the compliment on the car.

Still not 100% sure of what's happening, but I'll run down an idea...

I also have the DRL setting ticked in iDrive.

But what's your headlamp dial physically set to? I have my set to "0" during the day, and the instrument panel is a bright, clear white. If you have it dialed to the Automatic setting, the sensor for the lights might be mis-reading the conditions, and so your car might have it headlights on during the day -- which will set your panel's lights to orange/amber. Furthermore, if that's happening, then the instrument brightness dial to the right of the headlamp switch will further control how bright/dim the panel (and the ambient lighting) is.

(There are many threads on how the sensitivity of the automatic headlights feature leaves something to be desired.)
Are you saying that the instrument panel is backlit white when set to "0"?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

There you go 'You want the panel to be orange at all times?" ------YES
Old 09-17-2011, 08:26 AM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Quote:
There you go 'You want the panel to be orange at all times?" ------YES

Well, you could find the light sensor (on back of rear view mirror? not sure...) and cover with black tape or you could only drive at night.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erregend View Post
Well, you could find the light sensor (on back of rear view mirror? not sure...) and cover with black tape or you could only drive at night.
Pretty much the only way I can think of.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-17-2011, 02:10 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Pretty much the only way I can think of.
Delete -- you all must be talking about the newer backlit panel -- sorry.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

Is there a difference between 2011 and 2012 back lit of console, if yes does any one have the pictures