Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MB
2012 Huyndai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec vs. Used BMW/Mercedes

The specs of the 2012 Huyndai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec look pretty good with its 429 HP / 376 LB-FT
5.0 L V8 Engine and it is only $46,500 MSRP with a lot of nice options. It looks nice too, in my opinion.
Would it be a better buy than a used BMW/Mercedes with similar price ?

The reason that I asked is because we are thinking of buying a new car and this car will be for my wife and she now wants our third car to be less than $50,000.

Our Mercedes GL 450 and F10 550i was $75,000 each so it is time to downgrade a little bit (and for a few years) until our kids are off to college and at that time we can again indulge ourselves with nicer cars.

In fact, we may even downgrade further to the 2012 Genesis 3.8 version for only $34,200 MSRP. Now that is a real bargain for a really good car.

Last edited by CarBrain; 09-16-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-16-2011, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
What r u looking in the car? Space, performance, comfort, fuel economy?

If you're concerned about budget, stay away from MB or BMW even used one.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
I am sure there will be some smarta*s comments about Hyundai being Hyundai, but the Genesis is quite a bang for the buck.

As long as you don't expect it to ride to like a BMW, you should be fine.

I travel to Asia often on business, and I have opportunities to ride in the Genesis in Seoul from time to time. I can say it is quite nice (for the price of course). I would say the ride is probably more equivalent to Lexus than BMW or Audi though.

If you can live with the generic look and a few oddities, I think it's an excellent choice in the price range.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 09-17-2011, 01:02 AM
8D

Mein Auto: White paint cars
One of my friends has Genesis V6 sedan, and I've driven it several times. The ride is very similar to Mercedes cars. But it doesn't have the solid, substantial feel of Mercedes. The car has a bit of floaty ride, but it tends to bounce noticeably over bumpy surfaces. And you will definitely notice more body lean in the corners than Mercedes and BMW. I think the way the car dips down in the corners is a bit abrupt compared to Lexus... Acceleration in that V6 is more than adequate, and it is pretty quiet on freeways (road noise is a bit more than I'm used to in many cars though).

If you decide to go for V6, make sure you get the upgraded leather. The base leather is a bit hard with poor cushioning. The leather itself is soft though. And by what I know, the passenger seat lacks some of the adjustments available on driver's seat. (maybe either seat height or seat angle). And the back seat is very roomy. Definitely roomier than F10.

Past:
2011 328i Cabriolet with Alpine White with Coral Red leather
2007 ES350 with Tungsten Pearl with black leather
Old 09-17-2011, 04:10 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrq View Post
One of my friends has Genesis V6 sedan, and I've driven it several times. The ride is very similar to Mercedes cars. But it doesn't have the solid, substantial feel of Mercedes. The car has a bit of floaty ride, but it tends to bounce noticeably over bumpy surfaces. And you will definitely notice more body lean in the corners than Mercedes and BMW. I think the way the car dips down in the corners is a bit abrupt compared to Lexus... Acceleration in that V6 is more than adequate, and it is pretty quiet on freeways (road noise is a bit more than I'm used to in many cars though).

If you decide to go for V6, make sure you get the upgraded leather. The base leather is a bit hard with poor cushioning. The leather itself is soft though. And by what I know, the passenger seat lacks some of the adjustments available on driver's seat. (maybe either seat height or seat angle). And the back seat is very roomy. Definitely roomier than F10.
This ^^^^.

When I drove the Genesis, I came to the conclusion that it felt like a very calculated "poor mans Benz", and it indeed offers a helluva bang for the buck. The powertrains and frills match cars that cost much much more. If you're looking for something that will just get you from point A to point B, be well equipped, good Warranty, etc. The Hyundai is a great choice. If you want something that is similar as an appliance, but is far more worthy of enthusiasm, I'd go with one of the Germans.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:46 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 535i sport-premium-Nav
If you are considering Hyundai, then consider Buick too
Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
After driving a Genesis as a rental car, I tried to get my wife to get one as her next car. She didn't take the bait ( couldn't get by the nameplate; she is ending up with a Porsche Cayenne).

The car is a fantastic bargain, and if I was comparing CPO to the Genesis, it would be a tough call, but it is no BMW.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
TJ Park will have best comments as he owns both Genesis V8 (?) and F10 currently.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
One more thought - if you are considering a CPO, also look at an ED. For a little planning and patience you save a chunk of money. With the used car market doing so well, I don't feel the savings is significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_ACURA View Post
not really a valid comparison.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-17-2011, 08:26 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I am sure there will be some smarta*s comments about Hyundai being Hyundai, but the Genesis is quite a bang for the buck.

As long as you don't expect it to ride to like a BMW, you should be fine.

I travel to Asia often on business, and I have opportunities to ride in the Genesis in Seoul from time to time. I can say it is quite nice (for the price of course). I would say the ride is probably more equivalent to Lexus than BMW or Audi though.

If you can live with the generic look and a few oddities, I think it's an excellent choice in the price range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
The car is a fantastic bargain, and if I was comparing CPO to the Genesis, it would be a tough call, but it is no BMW.
A lot of "if's" and disclaimers there. There are lots of cars that are less expensive than a BMW, MB, Audi, etc., but don't match the quality, driving experience, etc. OK, if you compare price to the German cars, then I guess you can call it a "bargain". Buy a Chevy Cruze, it's much less expensive than a BMW or MB. It's a nice drive, but don't expect it to drive like a BMW, accept its generic looks and oddities, and it's probably an excellent choice in its price range. I'm exaggerating, but why do we keep saying another car is cheaper, but not on par with those that are priced higher, and then try to make a comparison to the German cars? There's a reason they cost more, isn't there?

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 09-17-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
The R-Spec is at or near 0-60 time of the 550i, so basically it's unnecessarily fast and you'll never use that power unless you are a a speed merchant. The real bargain is the V6, a fully loaded one stickers for 40k but can be had for 36k, which is where a 328i with zero equipment starts.
My take: 535 v genesis V8

Old 09-17-2011, 11:16 AM
8D

Mein Auto: White paint cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_ACURA View Post
I think Genesis is more cross-shopped with Chrysler 300, Caddy CTS and Infiniti G. Maybe Lexus ES too, which happens to be a Buick competitor.

Past:
2011 328i Cabriolet with Alpine White with Coral Red leather
2007 ES350 with Tungsten Pearl with black leather
Old 09-17-2011, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: E39 525i
When you buy a Hyundai you don't buy the badge that's why its so much cheaper.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive
I have an E60 550i as well as a Genesis 4.6 and all I can say is the the Hyundai is an incredible car for the money. I bought new for $37,500 and there is no better car for the money. While the handling is a bit soft, the cabin is extremely quiet and comfortable. In fact, my wife and I usually take the Hyundai on long highway road trips instead of the BMW. However, the BMW is definitely more fun and I can't wait to put my new F10 550i xDrive through its paces.

If you are looking to save some money, the Genesis is definitely the best choice. Hyundai has tightened the R-Spec suspension, so you pretty much get 85% of the handling of a BMW, while getting the full warranty benefits of a new car. Oil changes on the V8 Genesis usually cost less than $35! Finally, I can tell you that I catch myself picking the Hyundai for my commute to work instead of the BMW.

14 Porsche Boxster S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PED27M31

12 BMW 550i xDrive (Dinan S5, Intercoolers, Exhaust, Springs/Shockware, Negative Camber/Low Compliance Arms & Intake; 3M CR40; AG M355, Michelin PSS & Tikore Ti Lugs) - Alpine White, Beige, M Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, ARS, Sport Auto, Power Shades, Side/Top Cameras, HUD & BMW Apps.

13 Infiniti JX35 AWD (Gone)

07 BMW 550i (Gone)

09 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 (Gone)
Old 09-17-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberducky203 View Post
When you buy a Hyundai you don't buy the badge that's why its so much cheaper.
Whatever it is, a Hyundai will never be seen in my driveway. Call me a snob or whatever, the cars are nowhere equivalent. The fact that a Genesis is as fast or faster than another car is not a total package.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 09-17-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 E60 M5 -2005 330 zhp
As a current owner of the Genesis 5.0 R Spec

and a former owner of the E60 ///M5

as well as the E60 530i - the E46 330i ZHP AND a Dinan E46 325i

I would like to wade in on this topic with some first hand knowledge

The Genesi 5.0 R Spec is a great car for the money - period

Comparing it to BMW or Mercedes though is like comparing apples with oranges

Hyundai doesn't want to be BMW or Mercedes - so why not enjoy the car for being a Genesis - and leave it at that

I wanted a comfortable car - that had plenty of power - and plenty of room

coupled with great features and great looks - all for a very low price

The Genesis 5.0 R Spec fit the bill nicely

Last edited by SD203; 09-17-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I considered the Genesis 3.8 before buying my 2011 528i. I know the Genesis has more power, more options at a better price, and is a fantastic car. But I have absolutely no buyers remorse with the BMW. As others have stated, a BMW has a different appeal, and whether you call it a "snob" factor or whatever, I like owning a BMW. For me, owning a Hyundai I would not get that seem feeling.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD203 View Post
As a current owner of the Genesis 5.0 R Spec

and a former owner of the E60 ///M5

as well as the E60 530i - the E46 330i ZHP AND a Dinan E46 325i

I would like to wade in on this topic with some first hand knowledge

The Genesi 5.0 R Spec is a great car for the money - period

Comparing it to BMW or Mercedes though is like comparing apples with oranges

Hyundai doesn't want to be BMW or Mercedes - so why not enjoy the car for being a Genesis - and leave it at that

I wanted a comfortable car - that had plenty of power - and plenty of room

coupled with great features and great looks - all for a very low price

The Genesis 5.0 R Spec fit the bill nicely
Very good way of putting it.

That is why I bought my Acura MDX over an X5 - I knew that it didn't "feel" the same as a BMW, nor did it have the brand cachet. However, it was a better performer than the then current X5 3.0 (really, and when the wife and I switch cars I say, I wonder why my BMW steering doesn't feel this good) and I really wanted a car I would never have to take to the shop. And in fact, this month will mark 4 years with the MDX, and 9 with the F10 - and the F10's already been in the shop more. By a large margin.

Yes, you do get more by buying the German equivalent over the Korean / Japanese competitor. You get more heft, more quality, more sophistication. You don't get more features or sometimes more performance.

So if that "more" isn't important to you, the Korean or Japanese equivalent is more than enough.

In my case, although I really wanted to like the TL and have the same hassle free experience, in this case, I wanted the "more". So I ended up with the F10 instead.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

In my case, although I really wanted to like the TL and have the same hassle free experience, in this case, I wanted the "more". So I ended up with the F10 instead.
My experience to a tee.

***Sent from the inerwebs using technology that's way above my pay grade***
Old 09-18-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Well, IMO, there's really no comparing a TL with any BMW. We've owned 3 TL's (for my wife), '03, '05 and '08. In that time I've also owned an '05 330i, '08 335i and now my F10 535i. The TL's are nicely appointed, typically well priced (until the latest gen) upscale Japanese cars. Against a 3-series, they are bigger, sloppier handling, cannot match a 3 experience. Against a 5, well sorry, no comparison as far as quality, ride, performance, most any category. Again, TL has historically been a nicely appointed "good for the money" choice. I'd never put them in the same category, or cross-shop with any BMW. You didn't just get "more" with your F10, you got a different class of car. Do you also compare a TL with an E-Class?

Old 09-18-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I'd never put them in the same category, or cross-shop with any BMW. :
Why not? Why are they so different? Is the BMW the superior car? Yes. Is it in a different league? No. You're comparing it to the standard of the class, hell, the standard of the industry. It is a competitive car.

And no, the TL is more of a 3 series competitor, but it's big enough to be usable. The 3 series is not, plus it is old, which is why I looked to the F10.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Why not? Why are they so different? Is the BMW the superior car? Yes. Is it in a different league? No. You're comparing it to the standard of the class, hell, the standard of the industry. It is a competitive car.
Yes, it's a different class. Totally different market and position in the market. Which are you saying is the industry "standard"? For me Acura/Inifiniti/other mid-level Japanese aren't a match for the German offerings.

Last edited by markl53; 09-18-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Yes, it's a different class. Totally different market and position in the market. Which are you saying is the industry "standard"? For me Acura/Inifiniti/other mid-level Japanese aren't a match for the German offerings.
The 3 series is the industry standard.

The TL is not gunning for the BMW but can hold it's own. Try driving a current gen with the 6MT and HPT's. It's quite good.

Back to the original post, the Genesis is a very good car. Does it offer everything that the equivalent BMW does? Nope. Will a lot of people not miss that? Yup.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 09-18-2011 at 12:48 PM.