Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535ix
Climate control question

Is there a way to set the climate control so that you are ONLY getting fresh outside air through the dashboard vents ? This time of the year it would be nice to not use the AC but keep the windows closed when driving at high speeds.

Prior-2011 528i-Imperial Blue Metallic, Venetian Beige Leather,Prem Pkg, Split fold down rear seat,Heated seats , NAV
Prior- 2008 528i,Black sapphire metallic,Oyster dakota leather
CD,CWP,NAV,PREM PKG,ST,WT
Ads by Google
Old 09-14-2011, 07:08 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Turn the thumb wheel by the dashboard vent to the single arrow. Turn-off the A/C and the automatic circulation control right next to the A/C button. At this point you should only get fresh outside air.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 09-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 535i sport-premium-Nav
r u serious you are asking this question, i see some people ask this question again and again and some one also said that A/C always comes on when you start the car, only the fan comes on and you can definitely turn the A/C of before shutting down
Old 09-14-2011, 07:29 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Turn the thumb wheel by the dashboard vent to the single arrow. Turn-off the A/C and the automatic circulation control right next to the A/C button. At this point you should only get fresh outside air.
What thumbwheel are you talking about? Simply turn off the A/C compressor (snowflake button off). Either let the air distribution mode and fan stay in auto mode or go to full manual to control direction of air (to upper face/dash vents) and fan speed. Note that the system will continue to vary the outlet air temp (adding heat)according to the set temperature. Set it to full low temp if you want ambient air, though heat will still be added on a cold day if the cabin temp is below the lowest set temp.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 09-14-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
What thumbwheel are you talking about? Simply turn off the A/C compressor (snowflake button off). Either let the air distribution mode and fan stay in auto mode or go to full manual to control direction of air (to upper face/dash vents) and fan speed. Note that the system will continue to vary the outlet air temp (adding heat)according to the set temperature. Set it to full low temp if you want ambient air, though heat will still be added on a cold day if the cabin temp is below the lowest set temp.
That's what bugs me the most about this car...If the outside air temp is a crisp 50 and I want it inside the cabin without AC, I can't get anything less than 60, because the temp wheel won't go below 60 - annoying!!!! This is the ONLY car I've had or rented that is stupid about getting fresh air in!

2011 528i Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Dark Wood Trim / Prem Pack / Nav / PDC / USB-iPod
Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8nrg View Post
That's what bugs me the most about this car...If the outside air temp is a crisp 50 and I want it inside the cabin without AC, I can't get anything less than 60, because the temp wheel won't go below 60 - annoying!!!! This is the ONLY car I've had or rented that is stupid about getting fresh air in!
Thanks-you got the gist of my question that I failed to adequately express.I want plain outside air

Prior-2011 528i-Imperial Blue Metallic, Venetian Beige Leather,Prem Pkg, Split fold down rear seat,Heated seats , NAV
Prior- 2008 528i,Black sapphire metallic,Oyster dakota leather
CD,CWP,NAV,PREM PKG,ST,WT
Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_ACURA View Post
r u serious you are asking this question, i see some people ask this question again and again and some one also said that A/C always comes on when you start the car, only the fan comes on and you can definitely turn the A/C of before shutting down
When I turn AC off, I am noticing the air being 'unfiltered?' or something?
do we know if the air passes through micro filter pathway when the A/C is off?
because I had situation when its stinky air from outside and once
you switch to the AC you get such a 'clean' relief ...
but this could be only the reduction on humidity and not filtering effect..

anyone knows?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:34 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandf View Post
Thanks-you got the gist of my question that I failed to adequately express.I want plain outside air
No car I've ever owned with climate control releases the temperature control to give absolutely untouched outside air. It's not a BMW thing. You'd have to have another control to disable all air temp modification. As far as the system knows you're in a cold weather environment and you chose to turn off the compressor.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-18-2011, 11:55 AM
8D

Mein Auto: White paint cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandf View Post
I know what you are talking about. Lexus cars let you do this. (previous car was a Lexus) Even though the climate control is off, it continues pulling in outside air (to filter air, prevent fogging up, etc.). The notification showed on the climate control display panel, and it didn't really get stuffy inside. And no. This feature is not present in Mercedes and BMW cars.

Past:
2011 328i Cabriolet with Alpine White with Coral Red leather
2007 ES350 with Tungsten Pearl with black leather

Last edited by mstrq; 09-18-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:59 AM
8D

Mein Auto: White paint cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post
When I turn AC off, I am noticing the air being 'unfiltered?' or something?
do we know if the air passes through micro filter pathway when the A/C is off?
because I had situation when its stinky air from outside and once
you switch to the AC you get such a 'clean' relief ...
but this could be only the reduction on humidity and not filtering effect..

anyone knows?
AC (snowflake button) dehumidifies the air. That's why the air can feel moldy without AC.

Past:
2011 328i Cabriolet with Alpine White with Coral Red leather
2007 ES350 with Tungsten Pearl with black leather
Old 09-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Open the sun roof.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius