Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Scratches

Found a couple of small scratches on my trunk lid. Nothing major, have to look hard just to find them, but I know they're on their. Any easy tricks to get them off? They are not deep, looks like surface only. What say you?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulunderdog View Post
Found a couple of small scratches on my trunk lid. Nothing major, have to look hard just to find them, but I know they're on their. Any easy tricks to get them off? They are not deep, looks like surface only. What say you?
Forget them. The endless (and fruitless) quest to have "the perfect car" will never work out in the long run. We all have to live with slight imperfections and not let it ruin our enjoyment of this fine piece of machinery. Just remember, however, that's all it is. Consider yourself fortunate to have some inconsequential cosmetic "flaw" out of the way. Otherwise it's complete OCD time.

I think they should deliver the cars with a slight imperfection or two to help people overcome this fruitless quest for perfection.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Meguiar's Cleaner wax (red bottle), then hit it with Meguiar's gold class wax.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I've been using Malm's Ultra-Fine Polishing Cleaner for years--great for removing very fine scratches. I highly recommend it.
www.malms.com Some Porsche dealers are now stocking it.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix
Meguiar's also manufactures a product called "Scratch X," a tubed paste that removes minor surface scratches. I've used it with success. I follow-up with classic "red" and Gold Class, as well, as described. Use lightly and rub/buff gently with a micro-fiber cloth. Repeated applications may be necessary. Then pop a cold one!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:01 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc1 View Post
Forget them. The endless (and fruitless) quest to have "the perfect car" will never work out in the long run. We all have to live with slight imperfections and not let it ruin our enjoyment of this fine piece of machinery. Just remember, however, that's all it is. Consider yourself fortunate to have some inconsequential cosmetic "flaw" out of the way. Otherwise it's complete OCD time.

I think they should deliver the cars with a slight imperfection or two to help people overcome this fruitless quest for perfection.
+1

It's like a "patina" that fine furniture acquires over the years ....... if you can't see it from 50 feet away nobody cares!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 09-16-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc1 View Post

After a year or so of ownership I'd tend to agree. After just a month and a half I'm not quite there yet. Besides there are some other very minor imperfections that I have overlooked because trying to fix them would probably exacerbate the situation. I'll try the wax.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerific View Post
Meguiar's also manufactures a product called "Scratch X," a tubed paste that removes minor surface scratches. I've used it with success. I follow-up with classic "red" and Gold Class, as well, as described. Use lightly and rub/buff gently with a micro-fiber cloth. Repeated applications may be necessary. Then pop a cold one!
I'll give this a shot - thanks much. I'll think of this post as I pop the top of a nice cold Mountain Dew.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: S4
If you are really bothered by it then get a good professional detailer and it can be buffed out. It might cost you $100-200 to get it done. Wax will do nothing for scratches. You need a polish and high speed polisher but if not familiar with it I would recommend the pro detailer.
If you can't see the primer coat then it can be saved if you can see the primer coat underneath then you need to find a special refinisher who can apply heat to the paint and then move it over the scratch. This is a new method and not many can do it properly so you are warned. I have seen it done before and the final product is great but if done improperly screws up the whole paint job.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima

Last edited by Nobrandfanboy; 09-16-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
If you can't feel them with your finger nail then any mild polish using a cotton applicator (not micro fiber) will take them off. Happy to make a suggestion if you need one

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 09-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy11 View Post
If you can't feel them with your finger nail then any mild polish using a cotton applicator (not micro fiber) will take them off. Happy to make a suggestion if you need one
Yeah can't feel them at all. I'll take the recommendation....
Old 09-16-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulunderdog View Post
Yeah can't feel them at all. I'll take the recommendation....
OTC product I would get Meg's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner. (you can find it at any auto parts store) Its a chemical based polish that can be used on the paint, plastic lens, the trim inside the car with no issues. Using something like an old baby diaper, and a dime size amount rub that into the area, until it dissipates. This means the polsih is breaking down and doing its job. That should take care of what you have.

Follow that up with a good wax.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:46 PM

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4576

This is what I am talking about, extremely versatile product

Old 09-16-2011, 03:09 PM

You could try the above but if it doesn't work then go to a little more abrasive polish and keep stepping it up until it is gone.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 09-16-2011, 03:19 PM

Thanks guys - I appreciate it..
Old 09-17-2011, 08:57 AM

If you have another car that is older I would practice on that car first before trying it on your new car if you are not too familiar with detailing.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 09-17-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobrandfanboy View Post
If you have another car that is older I would practice on that car first before trying it on your new car if you are not too familiar with detailing.
That's a very good idea - thanks.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i convertible
Quote:
If you are really bothered by it then get a good professional detailer and it can be buffed out. It might cost you $100-200 to get it done. Wax will do nothing for scratches. You need a polish and high speed polisher but if not familiar with it I would recommend the pro detailer.
If you can't see the primer coat then it can be saved if you can see the primer coat underneath then you need to find a special refinisher who can apply heat to the paint and then move it over the scratch. This is a new method and not many can do it properly so you are warned. I have seen it done before and the final product is great but if done improperly screws up the whole paint job.
Good advice! I'm not sure if the F10s even have primer anymore. I think it's a single stage basecoat over Ecoat. I'm just pointing this out because most people think of primer of being gray. They could be through the clear and not realize it.

Also applying heat to clearcoat is how you get scratches out. The purpose of a high speed polisher is to heat up the clear. Keep the polisher flat, light pressure, and don't get anywhere near a corner or character line and you'll be fine. If the scratch is deep enough then lightly wet sand with some 800 or 1000. That will speed up the process greatly.

Best thing to do is buy a jet black body panel from a junkyard and practice. It really is useful to know if you like a keeping your paint finish pristine. DeWalt makes the best polishers IMO.

Last edited by tbod; 09-18-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-18-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbod View Post
Good advice! I'm not sure if the F10s even have primer anymore. I think it's a single stage basecoat over Ecoat. I'm just pointing this out because most people think of primer of being gray. They could be through the clear and not realize it.

Also applying heat to clearcoat is how you get scratches out. The purpose of a high speed polisher is to heat up the clear. Keep the polisher flat, light pressure, and don't get anywhere near a corner or character line and you'll be fine. If the scratch is deep enough then lightly wet sand with some 800 or 1000. That will speed up the process greatly.

Best thing to do is buy a jet black body panel from a junkyard and practice. It really is useful to know if you like a keeping your paint finish pristine. DeWalt makes the best polishers IMO.
Even if it has no primer it should still have a greyish coat from the double galvanized steel no?
Also a note about the wet sanding, do not try this at all if you are new to detailing period. The new waterbased nanocoat finishes are very hard to work with. They are hard yet very soft. Don't ask me to explain, just that it is very hard to get back to original finish after the wet sanding if you are not an experienced detailer.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 09-18-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Even if it has no primer it should still have a greyish coat from the double galvanized steel no?
Also a note about the wet sanding, do not try this at all if you are new to detailing period. The new waterbased nanocoat finishes are very hard to work with. They are hard yet very soft. Don't ask me to explain, just that it is very hard to get back to original finish after the wet sanding if you are not an experienced detailer.
The electric coating is kind of a brown color. If you get that far then you're using a key.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Yes, primers are still used. They aren't necessarily grey however. Back when I ran areas of the paint dept for a automotive manufacturer, we used white, grey and a red/rust color. The primer color used is determined by the base color called for. Some manufacturers actually use color matched primers, meaning there is a specific primer color for each base color. The reason is primers are cheaper than basecoats, thus less basecoat is necessary to "cover" a same colored primer.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
Yes, primers are still used. They aren't necessarily grey however. Back when I ran areas of the paint dept for a automotive manufacturer, we used white, grey and a red/rust color. The primer color used is determined by the base color called for. Some manufacturers actually use color matched primers, meaning there is a specific primer color for each base color. The reason is primers are cheaper than basecoats, thus less basecoat is necessary to "cover" a same colored primer.
BMW previously used colored primer but have mostly switched to a single stage base that uses no primer. It's called IPP. You still have the e-coat, then base, then clear.