Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28i
Dead start issues

Brand new X3 2011 28i & new to Bimmerfest forums.

Same issue at starts. In fact it cost me a ding on my rear bumper at a "short" (timing) turning red light when the car behind me saw my brake lights go off & assumed that I would move like other cars around me but the second or two of hesitation in getting the X3going made this driver scratch my rear bumper. The driver literally "fled" away in another direction to avoid getting involved in a minor accident.

I am used to start normally on corners and my wife just can't get used to getting jerked backward almost each time I get going after a red light or at a stop sign. It does not happen each time but still too often to fully enjoy the vehicle. Too bad... this is the only issue that I have with the X3. It is an absolute great vehicle to drive.

I will try to use the sport setting on the transmission and will investigate the pbx box with my dealer as well. Tks for the tips!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
So BMW hasnt learned from its earlier mistakes. Sheesh. I don't think expecting a vehicle to move when you step on the gas is really too much to ask.

Since most of us can't see 2 seconds into the future and know that some jerk is about to ram us and we need to get out of the way this is not just an inconvenience.

Sorry to hear its starting all over again. Glad I held onto my 2008 MT as this would infuriate me beyond reason.

Good luck. Maybe in 2014 (I think they took three years to correct with the GM6) they'll get it squared away. Hopefully a lot sooner.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 AM
First bimmer

Mein Auto: X3 2011
For what it's worth:
I had the same issue. Then I had my X3 in the shop to replace a faulty main computer, and they put updated iDrive, etc. software in it. I could swear it's not doing this anymore.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 X3 35i
I also just had the BMW Sirius radio option installed and they updated the software and the take off hesitation is much better. They also said they reset the adaptive learning function to try to improve this, so I don't know which item made a difference.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Exclamation

I have NO Lag on my 550i M Sport, and little on the Loaner 2.0Diesel X3 with 7000 miles on it.
The transmission needs to learn Driving style including throttle input which can take some time. Press the accelerator further down on take-offs till it learns your style.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
The other driver shouldn't look to the left and accelerate while assuming the front car has left. There could be a pedestrian crossing in front of them.
One-two second delay is not normal. I don't think I've experienced that in x28i although I am not the daily driver of this car. I've have heard from the primary driver about this otherwise. This was the specific issue we look for when we test drove the car.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330i PP, CWP, Step
Took delivery of my X3 28i in September. 700 miles. There is some lag but nothing that is too different from my 2006 330i and 2008 328i.

If you've driven BMW's before in the last 5-6 years, this lag shoudn't be a surprise. In fact, you should also know that after a few hundred miles the transmission will learn your pedal behavior and auto-correct itself.

Quit complaining. You all should have test driven the car before you bought it. If you didn't like the acceleration then, you shouldn't have bought the car.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 525 & 325
Is it really 2-3 seconds ??

There are too many times I would get in a mess if my 2003 525 did not respond immediately. Pulling out into a long line of traffic when I get a small gap would be scary if my car hesitated. With my 525, when it is time to go, it goes like it should.

Now, is it really 2-3 seconds or does it just seem like it is? That is a long time to not move when you need to be moving.

I have thought about buying a 2012 X3 28i and this worries me because of my driving habits, which they would not teach in a driving school.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
update

My X3 35i, now fully broken in, seems to have less lag off the line. It could very well be that I am completely used to it but it just seems better.

6300 miles: Gas Mileage average since new is 24.3 mpg in and around NYC and Long Island!
Great car.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528 Xi
I have a X3 35Xi.
I had the lag initially then the lag improved. Now I have close to 7800 miles.
Still there is a lag but not as bad as before. The lag started to improve after around 2000 miles.

I am not sure if the adaptive transmission corrects it, more than likely we adapt to the sudden jerks and press the gas pedal accordingly.

I still get a whiplash, when I try to join traffic across the road and make a left turn [weaving in between on coming cars] to do so.

I took it to the dealer yesterday and he said, my software is the most up to date one and so there is nothing he can do.. ?

Any of you who have had the software update, tell me the version of you software?

Thanks.

Last edited by dgolf; 11-01-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 PM

JOEBRY... I am taking the X3 in for service (Winter tires & wheels) next week and they will investigate corrective action for me. Thus far, tips from other forum members have been useful. Leave it in Sport mode and the hesitation is almost not noticeable. However, switching to Sport mode each time I come to a stop.. I may as well drive a standard transmission!

All my life I have been used to have vehicles move forward as soon as I released the brake pedal while on flat terrain and acceleration was immediate upon touching the gas pedal. So far it is rarely the case with the X3 28i. Looks like it could be the nature of the animal that I did not notice in the test drive because the salesperson was encouraging me to step on it so I could appreciate the competitiveness of the vehicle at intersections.

Under normal driving conditions 80 to 90% of the time, the delay in getting started from a dead stop still ranges from 1 to 2 seconds. Up to 3 seconds have sometimes been experienced particularly if a 90 degree turn is involved. I have managed to greatly minimize the problem when I leave it in Sport mode when I start moving... particularly if I have passengers.

However, if you have a heavy foot you might not notice much the delayed action and gas mileage will fluctuate accordingly.

Still, it is a great vehicle to drive and I am hopeful to resolve this issue next week. I only have some 1300 miles on it and it could be that the vehicle is not completely broken in.

Now that you are aware of the issue, don't hesitate to test drive one.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 525 & 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFY View Post
JOEBRY... I am taking the X3 in for service (Winter tires & wheels) next week and they will investigate corrective action for me. Thus far, tips from other forum members have been useful. Leave it in Sport mode and the hesitation is almost not noticeable. However, switching to Sport mode each time I come to a stop.. I may as well drive a standard transmission!

All my life I have been used to have vehicles move forward as soon as I released the brake pedal while on flat terrain and acceleration was immediate upon touching the gas pedal. So far it is rarely the case with the X3 28i. Looks like it could be the nature of the animal that I did not notice in the test drive because the salesperson was encouraging me to step on it so I could appreciate the competitiveness of the vehicle at intersections.

Under normal driving conditions 80 to 90% of the time, the delay in getting started from a dead stop still ranges from 1 to 2 seconds. Up to 3 seconds have sometimes been experienced particularly if a 90 degree turn is involved. I have managed to greatly minimize the problem when I leave it in Sport mode when I start moving... particularly if I have passengers.

However, if you have a heavy foot you might not notice much the delayed action and gas mileage will fluctuate accordingly.

Still, it is a great vehicle to drive and I am hopeful to resolve this issue next week. I only have some 1300 miles on it and it could be that the vehicle is not completely broken in.

Now that you are aware of the issue, don't hesitate to test drive one.
I am going in for a test drive soon and it will be the most unique test drive I have ever taken. Most test drives so far have been kinda humdrum but not this time. I want to know about the "two park buttons", how to stop the car and turn off the engine, some questions about the run-flat tires, how to prevent losing the settings stored in the key, and modifying some of the option packages.

Thanks for the info

For 8 years I have driven a 2003 525 and love it so much I might end up keeping it.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:34 PM

dgolf
I will share my dealer experience next week.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:37 PM

How did it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFY View Post
dgolf
I will share my dealer experience next week.
How did it go?
Did they install the new software?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:39 PM

Software Model #?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbage View Post
For what it's worth:
I had the same issue. Then I had my X3 in the shop to replace a faulty main computer, and they put updated iDrive, etc. software in it. I could swear it's not doing this anymore.
Babbage
Do you know your software version number?
Your service slip should say it, or you can ask your SA.
It will help me to bug my SA to get the same software.
Thanks.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:43 PM

When I reported the dead start hesitation issue the Dealer's stance was that this is part of the animal, that I already have the latest in terms of software and that the adaptive transmission will eventually adjust to my driving style (give & take). The vehicle is still very low in mileage. They did not even enter it on the Service Worksheet.

I also reported a minor oil leak about midway under the vehicle and upon investigation the mechanics reported that it was a transmission transfer case seal that was leaking. A very rare occurrence for a new vehicle. They kept the X3 for an extra day and replaced the faulty seal. I don't know what else they may have done (if anything) in terms of transmission related work but the hesitation issue has greatly diminished since. It does not really bother me as much now.

I bounced the faulty seal issue off non BMW mechanics who reported that this can happen to just about "any" vehicle. Could be as simple as a non detectable crack in a seal and it is a matter of time until the leak happens. These cats told me that I was lucky that it happened while the vehicle is under warranty.

The new winter Pirelli 210 Sottozero Serie ll tires & new wheels have been installed. I went for the 18" wheels. The thread is only a hair above 9/32nd in terms of thickness. Anxious to see how they perform in winter.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Did they say what was the software code or number?
In any case I am glad it is all sorted out for you.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:33 PM

dgolf... They made no mention of code nor software numbers. It was manufactured in late June 2011.

As I mentioned, the hesitation did not go away completely but it is less of an issue at present. My honest appraisal is that I probably adapted to the transmission the same as the adaptive transmission probably adapted itself to my driving style to some extent. Another BMW service employee also indicated to me that the hesitation inconvenience has something to do with fuel economy... which is excellent by the way with an average of 22.5 usg/m for combined city & highway driving over my last 4 fill ups. I hit over 25 usg/m for 75% hwy/25% city.

It is an 8 speed transmission and they hopefully improve on it as time goes. Still, I am anxious to read reviews when Ford/Lincoln comes out with theirs & see if they will have the same acceleration hesitation issues for similar size vehicles.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:33 PM

buffy

You are right. But, I am not convinced that the transmissions adopts, it is the human being who adopts to the sudden jerk and slow start. Apart from the wind noise and the jerky/slow start, it is a great car. Still for 55K and the BMW name one would expect better. It is like you have bought a car from a novice car company who is trying to figure out the transmission.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 X3 35i
I have also found that using Auto-H pretty much eliminates the take-off lag, at least from a dead stop.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 28i
I didn't notice the lag in acceleration until 6 months into driving. Brought the X3 in for 1st oil change and mentioned the sluggish acceleration from a complete stop. Service tech's took an hour and told me that they need to look at the car....gave me a courtesy xdrive 328i and what a friggin difference. the 328i moved like melted butter on a glass surface; quite smooth.

Later in the day BMW service called me back saying that there's a software glitch and they'll keep me updated. At end of the work day I get a call saying car is ready to get picked up. I show up at the dealership and then 4 people stop by saying that they're sorry but they thought the glitch could be fixed. Now they have to get BMW Engineers from BMW North America (in NY/NJ) to remote in and look into it. So I get to keep the 328i for another night.

Next day get a call again, car is fixed. I show up and demand an explanation. Head tech service guy says:
- Glitch caused by adaptive algorithm trying to adjust
- Applied new software update
- Applied software update for Satellite radio
- Rebooted the system
- Adaptive algorithm will re-learn my driving style and after a month or so the acceleration should be better

+++UPDATE+++

Acceleration has improved but the performance is still sluggish. Average fuel economy is down by 4 mpg. I noticed that now engine gives more boost to the acceleration and I feel its too much.

I tried to change the pressure applied on the pedal, but then it impacts performance and acceleration. I test drove an ACURA RDX and it's turbocharged engine kicks in on initial acceleration even when you don't need it. Sadly enough the X3 is now behaving like that.

It's marginally better in sport mode but just have to shift faster.

Miss driving the 328i xdrive. Now this 3 series responds quite well....wished x3 28i responded in the same manner *sigh*
Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but as of next year BMW will no longer sell a manual transmission in ANY X vehicle. Also not available in a 7 series, or V8 equipped 5 series. You all know that the USA is the only country that has a manual in the M5, right (becasue we complained so much that we had to have it).
WOW, I didn't realize BMW would completely stop offering manual transmission X-drives in the US! I checked out the BMWUSA.com configurator and it appears you're right. Apparently, I've bought my last BMW.
Living in the Pacific Northwest, AWD is a great asset. My last three cars have been 6-speed manual transmissions (2 BMW and 1 Mini), and I won't go back to an automatic. Reading about all of this tip-in nonsense confirms that the simpler technology is better (and more fun!)

Guess I'm an outlier and BMW just doesn't need my business.

-James
Seattle, WA and San Francisco, CA
Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Every time my wife drives the car I have tranny hesitation after. Takes a few hours of driving to get back to normal.

I've got another issue for transmission, though. I feel tranny jolt every time when X3 comes to full stop. When I switch to neutral it comes to stot without anything. I rotated the tires and problem has almost gone. She still does it, but like 1 out 10 stops. Before it was at every stoppng.
Any thoughts?