Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-21-2011, 01:45 PM
CPR ..

Mein Auto: e39s..
Where exactly to apply anti-squeal compound on brake pads?

Hey Guys,

I have already searched, and found the Bluebee DIY for checking/replacing pads and rotors. However I have just one question. I am installing stop tech street pads on my 99 528 sport, and I've heard that applying anti-squeal compound will help to reduce any squeal I might experience due to the nature of the street pads. Also, I've heard that I might not need the anti-squeal compound. Either way I want to put it on. I just dont know exactly where to apply the anti-squeal compound when DIY-ing my brakes. Any help will be appreciated.

And thanks Bluebee for that DIY you did a couple of years back. There's alot of useful information in there
Old 09-21-2011, 01:56 PM
BMW Magician

Mein Auto: e30 M50ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngproexec View Post
Hey Guys,

I have already searched, and found the Bluebee DIY for checking/replacing pads and rotors. However I have just one question. I am installing stop tech street pads on my 99 528 sport, and I've heard that applying anti-squeal compound will help to reduce any squeal I might experience due to the nature of the street pads. Also, I've heard that I might not need the anti-squeal compound. Either way I want to put it on. I just dont know exactly where to apply the anti-squeal compound when DIY-ing my brakes. Any help will be appreciated.

And thanks Bluebee for that DIY you did a couple of years back. There's alot of useful information in there
I have never needed any anti-squeal compound on any BMW brakes, just be sure the caliper slides are clean and slide smoothly and be sure to install the tension springs on the front of the caliper.

Local to TN? TNeuros - Praise the lowered? Stanceworks
Old 09-21-2011, 02:19 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Where the ear of the pad slides on the caliper mount.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Picture from BB's DIY.

Marked in red. Just a little. Don't go crazy or it will wind up on the rotors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluebee_bmw_clips_out.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	294147  
Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 PM
CPR ..

Thank you so much guys for the prompt response. And thank you especially dvsgene for the excellent visual. thumbs up for each of you lol
Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Ouch

Send a message via MSN to Fragzem Send a message via Skype™ to Fragzem
Mein Auto: 2000 540i/6, 1964 Wildcat
you guys prefer that or the paint? I like the Disc Brake Quiet spray

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...rake_Quiet.htm

• 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)
Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread
Old 09-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Just for the record (for others who find this by searching), the following may be useful information (which the OP already found):
- Lubricants & fluids used for a typical brake job (1)
- A user's very first complete 4-wheel brake DIY experience on the BMW E39 (1)

For the record, from those threads, when using Jurid/Textar OEM pads, here are related TIS & Bentley graphics...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW TIS - 34 21 200_Page_3.jpg
Views:	5740
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	294175   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW TIS - 34 21 200_Page_4.jpg
Views:	5704
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	294176   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW TIS - 34 21 200_Page_5.jpg
Views:	5723
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	294177  

Last edited by bluebee; 09-21-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:26 PM

BTW, I just did my rear brakes a couple of weeks ago, replacing the Textars with Axxis/PBR Deluxe Advanced ... and ... guess what.

As an experiment, I did it totally dry!

Not one lubricant whatsoever.

So far, it's working just fine.

Note: I practically slobbered the stuff on last time and it was bone dry anyway.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 PM
CPR ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
BTW, I just did my rear brakes a couple of weeks ago, replacing the Textars with Axxis/PBR Deluxe Advanced ... and ... guess what.

As an experiment, I did it totally dry!

Not one lubricant whatsoever.

So far, it's working just fine.

Note: I practically slobbered the stuff on last time and it was bone dry anyway.

Bluebee, your are the queen of organization and especially useful information. Thank you greatly for your all your help.

As per your picture [and a bit of research] I know that the last two capital letters on your brake pad [FF] consitute the level of friction. In accordance to my source site {http://www.bestbrakepads.net/} the friction level goes from the letter "E" to "H", and that the best brake pads are higher up in letter values i.e. The letter E would have the lowest level of friction whereas the letter H would have the highest level.
In addition, the first letter [in your case F] would entail how the brakes would perform when they are cold, and the subsequent letter [also F] would tell how the brakes would behave when they are warm. Use the aforementioned friction level letter values to understand the performance of your pads.

I have yet to find out what the other numbers mean and would love to do some additional searching, but Im currently writing a 15 page paper on the Caste System in India .
Old 09-21-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
the first letter [in your case F] would entail how the brakes would perform when they are cold, and the subsequent letter [also F] would tell how the brakes would behave when they are warm.
Thanks for looking that up; it seems only the two letters FF matter, according to post #135 of this thread:
- One user's example of a complete brake job with all torque figures, specs, measurements, fluids, decisions, tools, tricks, mistakes, suppliers, costs, etc., that it entails (1)
Quote:
In the edge code, the first letter notes the normal coefficient of friction and the second letter notes the hot coefficient of friction. The code appears in 0.25-inch letters on the edge of the friction material.
What is even more interesting is that your suggested article clearly implies the very common PBR/Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads (friction grade FF) are substandard for the BMW E39!

Quote:
Many USA suppliers are still selling cheap brake pads for European vehicles that have a friction grade of E or F even when up to 90% of the cars use a grade friction of GG or GF. It is not suggested to use these pads because they lower the brake feel on you car. So stick to the grade letters recommended for your car and that way you know you'll have the best brake pads.
So, the question becomes, what is the friction material grade for the OEM Jurid/Textar pads; and, more explicitly, what is the recommended grade for our vehicles?

EDIT: I opened a separate thread on the topic of recommended cold/hot friction grades:
- If Axxis/PBR Deluxe Advanced friction grade (FF) is substandard, what should E39's be

Last edited by bluebee; 09-22-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 103K miles
I'd not apply the stuff at the ears of the brake pads, it may cause binding later.
I use a very small amount of anti-squeal compound on the caliper piston itself, where it meets the brake pads, zero issues.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
+1, same here.
One the ears I use synthetic brake grease.