Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
less than a day away . . .

until our new baby joins the family!!!

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568253

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
I think I saw you and your wife taking delivery @ the BMW Performance Center in Spartanburg today around 1:00pm. I just rolled through to check it out, looks like fun. I will definitely have to do the ED experience some day. Do you recall a Graphite GT rolling by as you were inspecting your car Congrats on your delivery, I would have stopped to say hi but I was enroute (time schedule) from North Carolina to Atlanta, then back to South Florida tomorrow. GT's love the highway/Interstate/Turnpike etc...

Congrats on your newest member to the family
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 09-15-2011, 08:23 PM

no way!!! I saw you as you drove by!!! Mainly because I've been noticing every GT since we ordered ours! Had I known it was you, I would have waved or something! It was LOTS of fun, and even with little sleep the night before, I had plenty of adrenalin to keep my going!

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 09-16-2011, 05:18 AM

now that I'm more awake, I'll share two comments that I heard. Not official statements by ANY means.

The first was from another customer, who actually works in sales at a BMW Dealership -- he said the GT are slow sellers and that they were practically giving them away. Sounds like we could have gotten a better deal just picking one off the lot, but the main reason we ordered was to get our baby exactly the way we want it. I didnt search, but I'm assuming there aren't too many black on black, 535xi GT with nav, rear seat upgrade, rear entertainment, etc, etc. whatever options I would have been willing to give up, the wife wanted and vice-versa.

the second was from someone at the delivery center -- he wouldn't be surprised if the GT wasnt continued for the next generation (implying slow sales). again, these are just random opinions --- nothing official at all. I've read rumors about a 3 GT, so I do think BMW is trying to find the new "it" vehicle. people no longer want the family station wagon, the minivan and now, the suv. so what's next? something luxurious, practical, and fun?? to me, sounds like the GT . . . .

(and I met up with the family by driving my convertible from 6.30p to 3.15am through IN, KY, TN, NC and SC --- I love my convertible, but I could feel and hear every time I went over a bridge where the pavement changes -- thump, thump! and as nice as the sport package/seats are, it did feel like sitting in economy class. wife gets to drive the GT home -- so wife/daughter will be in first class!)

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
Great story with the almost meet up.
Is the return quicker to have the ED pick-up in Spartanburg than your local dealer?
I attended the BMW driving school there a few years back, wonderful experience.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
ED vehicles don't go through the same customs and EPA scrutinies that a new, undriven one does, it is potentially a more 'personal' inspection rather than a check the box. It's kind of obvious, as you could have smuggled all sorts of things in the vehicle since you had possession, rather than just the factory personnel. Then, hopefully your salesman requested a position in the queue for delivery in SC in advance. They allocate spots based on the production number...cars built earlier, get the option of an earlier slot in SC. There are only in the order of 24 or so 'openings' a day for delivery there, and that includes both the ED and X-series vehicles people choose to have delivered there. Mine came into the US in early June, and I picked it up about 3-weeks later. My guess is that it might have made it to the dealer sooner. Also, the vehicles sold to the dealers come already programmed with the NA maps and radio step frequencies from the factory. Those picked up in Munich need to be reprogrammed before released to the delivery center, which is part of the time difference in getting it out of NJ. The FM band used in Europe has different steps between 'channels'.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
I think I saw you and your wife taking delivery @ the BMW Performance Center in Spartanburg today around 1:00pm. I just rolled through to check it out, looks like fun.... Do you recall a Graphite GT rolling by as you were inspecting your car
Damn it's a small world...very cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashrahman View Post
now that I'm more awake, I'll share two comments that I heard. Not official statements by ANY means.....
The first was from another customer, who actually works in sales at a BMW Dealership -- he said the GT are slow sellers and that they were practically giving them away.....

the second was from someone at the delivery center -- he wouldn't be surprised if the GT wasnt continued for the next generation (implying slow sales). again, these are just random opinions --- nothing official at all.
Nice guys to be sharing this with you as you are picking up your new GT - jus' sayin'

Enjoy your new GT! Be prepared for many as you drive - many people perceive the GT as being a BMW exotic. As nice as positive affirmation is - it really isn't necessary - you understand the special nature of the GT.

After a year of driving my 550i GT, I have only grown more intrigued by the GT's capabilities and look forward with anticipation each time I get behind the wheel.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashrahman View Post
now that I'm more awake, I'll share two comments that I heard. Not official statements by ANY means.

The first was from another customer, who actually works in sales at a BMW Dealership -- he said the GT are slow sellers and that they were practically giving them away. Sounds like we could have gotten a better deal just picking one off the lot, but the main reason we ordered was to get our baby exactly the way we want it. I didnt search, but I'm assuming there aren't too many black on black, 535xi GT with nav, rear seat upgrade, rear entertainment, etc, etc. whatever options I would have been willing to give up, the wife wanted and vice-versa.

the second was from someone at the delivery center -- he wouldn't be surprised if the GT wasnt continued for the next generation (implying slow sales). again, these are just random opinions --- nothing official at all. I've read rumors about a 3 GT, so I do think BMW is trying to find the new "it" vehicle. people no longer want the family station wagon, the minivan and now, the suv. so what's next? something luxurious, practical, and fun?? to me, sounds like the GT . . . .

(and I met up with the family by driving my convertible from 6.30p to 3.15am through IN, KY, TN, NC and SC --- I love my convertible, but I could feel and hear every time I went over a bridge where the pavement changes -- thump, thump! and as nice as the sport package/seats are, it did feel like sitting in economy class. wife gets to drive the GT home -- so wife/daughter will be in first class!)

I think the cars that are being aggressively sold, are the cars that have been sitting on various dealer lots with undesirable configurations/options for an extended time period. Again all of the comments I have received are favorable.

There is nothing out there like the GT. I ate up some serious miles last week SoFla to North Carolina, to Atlanta via South Carolina back to SoFla. The GT is comfortable fast - safe. I love it!

As far as the current BMW line up is concerned - I would make the same choice - by buying a GT - all over again
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 09-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535ix GT
Based upon some lease models, and a little pushing, the 2012 with the ZVP is going for a great deal too. Maybe even better than the 2011 as you don't need to get multiple packages anymore to get the mainstays in a REALLY NICELY equiped 2012

Wardman.

It's time to get the deals.

Last edited by Wardman; 09-18-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
ED vehicles don't go through the same customs and EPA scrutinies that a new, undriven one does, it is potentially a more 'personal' inspection rather than a check the box. It's kind of obvious, as you could have smuggled all sorts of things in the vehicle since you had possession, rather than just the factory personnel. Then, hopefully your salesman requested a position in the queue for delivery in SC in advance. They allocate spots based on the production number...cars built earlier, get the option of an earlier slot in SC. There are only in the order of 24 or so 'openings' a day for delivery there, and that includes both the ED and X-series vehicles people choose to have delivered there. Mine came into the US in early June, and I picked it up about 3-weeks later. My guess is that it might have made it to the dealer sooner. Also, the vehicles sold to the dealers come already programmed with the NA maps and radio step frequencies from the factory. Those picked up in Munich need to be reprogrammed before released to the delivery center, which is part of the time difference in getting it out of NJ. The FM band used in Europe has different steps between 'channels'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
I think the cars that are being aggressively sold, are the cars that have been sitting on various dealer lots with undesirable configurations/options for an extended time period. Again all of the comments I have received are favorable.

There is nothing out there like the GT. I ate up some serious miles last week SoFla to North Carolina, to Atlanta via South Carolina back to SoFla. The GT is comfortable fast - safe. I love it!

As far as the current BMW line up is concerned - I would make the same choice - by buying a GT - all over again
agreed!!! jadnashuanh is right --- it is faster to get your car delivered straight to the dealer; takes a little longer to get processed if you did ED first and you have to wait your turn for a PCD slot. But still completely worth it!!! 2 hours on the track, offroad track, factory tour, free hotel night -- just awesome overall!!

and like car-fan mentioned, I've gotten plenty of positive comments from people! I've only had her a few days, but positive comments on how impressive she looks (ie, large and luxurious). She's getting the window tint and clear bra done now. can't wait to see her when she's done!! and since this is actually wife's car, can't wait until several years from now when wife wants something new and I get the GT!

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 09-23-2011, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
[QUOTE=since this is actually wife's car, can't wait until several years from now when wife wants something new and I get the GT![/QUOTE]

With a little luck and cajoling she may let you use it every now and then.
Post pix of tinting.