Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus
BMW Apps Problem

I just picked up my new '11 X5d. Absolutely love the vehicle but am less enamored with the IPhone 4 integration with the BMW Apps. Here's what's happening. I connect the IPhone via the cradle and initiate the "ConnectedDrive" application in the X5 as well as the BMW Apps application on the IPhone. I then a message on the NAV screen stating "BMW Apps loaded". However, I also get a screen on my IPhone that states "Connecting..." (under the BMW logo) and underneath the following statement "You are recommended to switch to standby mode by pressing the standby button or activating the automatic lock." The automatic lock was already activated for 1 minute. I also tried pressing the standby mode button but neither seems to have an effect. The only apps that are loaded are Facebook, Twitter and Web Radio. Only the Web Radio works which is fine as I have no interest in the others. However, I am interested in Pandora which I do have loaded on my IPhone. So, my question is does anyone have any idea how I get Pandora loaded and activated in the X5? Also, is there any advantage to keeping the cradle or should I just rely upon the cable? I can't see any advantage.
Ads by Google
Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
I have BMW apps on my 2012 X5 and did use pandora on 2 occasions. But this was with a iphone 3GS. You don't need to install/setup Pandora on your X5. It's already there as part of BMW Apps. As I recall, I first started the pandora app on the iphone and *THEN*connected the iphone to the car via the USB cable that came with my iPhone. Then I selected "ConnectedDrive" via the iDrive and then selected "pandora". I and was able to use iDrive to make selections and skip songs in Pandora. I think at first I tried connecting the phone first before starting the Pandora app and that gave me some issues.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
This BMW site also has a pandora "DOWNLOAD THE GETTING STARTED GUIDE" PDF that might help you.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rive/Apps.aspx

Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: subway
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHBMAN View Post
I just picked up my new '11 X5d. Absolutely love the vehicle but am less enamored with the IPhone 4 integration with the BMW Apps. Here's what's happening. I connect the IPhone via the cradle and initiate the "ConnectedDrive" application in the X5 as well as the BMW Apps application on the IPhone. I then a message on the NAV screen stating "BMW Apps loaded". However, I also get a screen on my IPhone that states "Connecting..." (under the BMW logo) and underneath the following statement "You are recommended to switch to standby mode by pressing the standby button or activating the automatic lock." The automatic lock was already activated for 1 minute. I also tried pressing the standby mode button but neither seems to have an effect. The only apps that are loaded are Facebook, Twitter and Web Radio. Only the Web Radio works which is fine as I have no interest in the others. However, I am interested in Pandora which I do have loaded on my IPhone. So, my question is does anyone have any idea how I get Pandora loaded and activated in the X5? Also, is there any advantage to keeping the cradle or should I just rely upon the cable? I can't see any advantage.
You start up pandora itself and then connect the usb cable or if yer in the media dock obviously yer already in. Pandora will then show the bmw logo and you can use the i drive to control pandora. Kinda dumb that its not integrated with bmw app.
I'm like you. I just got the car and the cradle seems pretty expensive for what little it adds. Plug-in gives you ipod like controls on idrive, use of the shark fin for reception, videos while stopped.
The Facebook, twitter, web radio are the only apps in bmw app right now. so you are doing it right. Thats another separate disappointment.
Would like to see rhapsody, spotify and mlb.app integrated into the i drive as well. Lots of americans love to listen to baseball while driving.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: X5 5.0i
Any speculation on what apps will play with this configuration in the future on a 2012 50i built 7/11/11 using the snap-in media iPhone 4 media/BMW apps adapter?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSnV1 View Post
Any speculation on what apps will play with this configuration in the future on a 2012 50i built 7/11/11 using the snap-in media iPhone 4 media/BMW apps adapter?
I am bumping this because I was thinking of buying the adapter in the morning. Of course in my case it would have been nice of Al Gore would have mentioned if the iPhone 5 or 4S would work in the same adapter (and Vaja case) as the iP4 because its hard to wait until 10/4.

Last edited by GPSnV1; 09-22-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
MOG is next.

Note the cradle is only required if you want to use iPod out (iPod native interface on BMW display) and display of iPod videos on BMW screen.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
MOG is next.

Note the cradle is only required if you want to use iPod out (iPod native interface on BMW display) and display of iPod videos on BMW screen.
Thanks for the response but I don't know what MOG means.

Your description of what the cradle does is helpful. I am a bit drawn to the convenience of inserting the iPhone into the cradle and having the phone charge and getting a stronger signal on the open road. However, this is not critical to me.

Just to make sure I have this right, the cable from Apple covers not only all the current apps but likely those that might appear in the future? At least for now with the cable I can hold the iPhone and look at weather radar as tornadoes and hail at not rare where I live.

I sure wish we could see our email and have it read to us but I don't know if AT&T will release such a function.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
MOG is a streaming music service that you have to pay $9.95 a month for.