Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 09-04-2011, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 78' 320i
78' 320i ressurection help!

Hi all. New to the forum. This my first e21. Had a 87 E30 few years back. I recently picked up a 78 E21. I know the previous owner, it had no issues when it was put into storage 8 years ago, but it was somewhat forgotten. Nice shape, only 68,000 original miles. Figured it would be a breeze to get er up and running again. First order of business was to free up the clutch and one front brake caliper. Success there. Got it home via trailer. 2nd order of business, drain 3/4 tank of 8 year old gas. Put new gas in and battery, she fires up but runs super rough, whole car shakes. First new parts to arrive; rotor, plugs, dist. cap. put those in. She fires right up, idles perfectly, when you give it gas, it hesitates but does rev up. Somewhat driveable. try a drive around the block, it speeds up like she wants to go, then dogs, then back up: like that around the block. But Im getting closer. Next my new fuel filter comes. Old one is bad, can hardly blow air through it. Put the new one on, leave one end of gas line off, have my daughter bump the key. Its like a garden hose of gas. Now I think this baby is going to go. When I start it, idles like new car, but will take no throttle input what so ever. Tap the gas, it wants to die. With alittle creative accelerator work can get it to rev up alittle past idle, but it pops and shutters. Basically runs worse with the new fuel filter. Have new plug wires coming and new points and cond. Went over it for vacuum leaks as Ive read the K-tronic system doesnt like leaks. I have none. Appreciate any help. Thanks Todd from Milwaukee
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 78' 320i
does anyone know of a e21 news group where people actually respond with helpful advice?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 1981 320i
bro go to bimmerforums. pretty sure this forum is dead
Old 09-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
check things like your fuel pressure regulator. Letting it gumm up like that was bad. I'd maybe just run a can of stp through it a few times. Things may be working ok, but a film of old fuel is on everything.

Correction: I saw its an E21. If your not fuel injected, your jets are gummed up in the carb. We get it on old marine engines all the time. Sometimes it results in having to take it all apart and use gummot on all the jets etc.

Last edited by johnnyU; 09-18-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Disaster on Wheels

Mein Auto: 1982 320i, e21
I ran into similar symptons of the idling and rough running with my car. The cure turned into a 3 step process, with the last of the 3 steps being the overall defining cure. Turned out it was a fuel relay system that BMW issued as a replacement part they made from 1986-1994 (yet to have found if it was an "Official recall" or not). Mine runs across the top of the engine and replaces 2 or 3 relays that distribute the fuel flow to the engine. Whether it's true or not, it was explained that it had something to do with the methane levels in the octanes of today vs. the octanes from that era that allow the fuel to properly be distributed at the correct flow rate. I was told it was only ever an issue on the e21's even though the M10 had been around for years. We had a very hard time trying to locate the part--but with persistence, found 1 brand new in a box, that someone just so happened to have in their garage in NC. I will try to find the paperwork on exactly what part this is if you think this will help.... I want to say it was called a fuel distributor chassis, or fuel relay chassis....